Chapman's Stance

TylerD45ACP, I think airsoft pistol FOF training is a very good thing. They are the most realistic thing most of us can afford. At a few yards, they are accurate enough to simulate a real firearm.

Yea, it seems like a practical way to get in some experience. Im glad to hear that other people thought of that as a inexpensive means of training as well. Like you said affordable too, so I think they work.

Kmar40 said:
I don't like your theory. Why? Because blading off or shooting the old military way (sideways) to present a smaller target is likely to get you killed.
Hunters wait, wait, wait for that broadside target, the chance to drop both lungs and end the game then and there.
You can take a torso shot and even live without one lung. Plenty of people do. Your combat lifesavers have the equipment and training to manage one dropped lung. You can even survive a heart shot if your medic is close by and can treat tamponade. But a broadside shot to both lungs will drop you in your tracks just as surely as it drops a deer. It is a game-ender.

Animal game's body structure is different from humans. If you're trying to shoot at a person at a bladed angle, the lungs are protected to a better degree than, say, a deer. A person's shoulder/arm is covering quite a bit of the arm, providing quite a bit of meat to penetrate before even getting to the first lung. On top of that, trying to make it to the other lung to rely on a sure kill on a person isn't nearly as likely as a wound to the heart. Probability rate of succeeding a double lung shot compared to a single heart shot and the person being killed due to stance is just not in the cards. CAN a medic keep you alive until you're on the operating table to be patched up? I would say it's possible, but not nearly as likely of a survival rate as stated above.

We'll your opinion is your opinion. I used to shoot Weaver but never really Chapman.

The theory regarding not purposefully offering a broadside target is what is being taught by all the other federal law enforcement instructors. And, yes, many of us are investigators who do not routinely wear body armor. It's a topic which was well discussed and researched.

A thorax shot which fully traverses is relatively easy. The lungs are mostly air. A pistol round with the FBI spec 12+" of penetration will easily break the humerus then cross the thorax, dropping both lungs in the meantime. And the game is over.

Admittedly, not all bad guys carry service pistols with good ammo. But you won't know that in advance. Stack the odds in your favor as much as possible. Don't offer them your flank.

Last edited:
^+1 NEVER underestimate your opponent. True, they will probably be carrying a Jennings 22, or a Lorcin 9mm, Hi-Point...you get the picture:D. However, think that they are carring a serious self defense (offence for BG) pistol and they know how to use it well, as well as it being loaded with premium SD rounds. You never know whats going to happen and chances are in a SD situation it's going to happen fast and unexpected outcomes are going to happen, no matter how prepared. Tuttle I agree we are very different than animals, our arms protect us like you said. I think Kmar meant it as just a sort of quick reference to why he shoots as he does. I think comparing it to the deer was his closest way to describe why he doesn't like it.

Back