Change in gun size with cooler weather?

JERRYS.

I know many folks simply stay with the same gun year round, so no need to beat that dead horse with them.

my question is for the folks that carry like this.... IWB single stack 9mm (or whatever) in the summer, then move to a double stack OWB in the winter because clothing allows for more so why not?

98% of the time I carry a G17 IWB or OWB no matter the weather, but I have the body size to get away with that. on occasion I have carried a PPS IWB to be more discrete. now that winter is upon us, not so much where I am but enough that a jacket can be worn with comfort, I've considered moving to a G21 sometimes because the frame size fits my hand better than the G17.

what say you?

thanks.

I carry the same Commander (actually 4" Kimber) day in and day out. My method may change with clothing changes, but the gun is always the same.

Footnote - As a police officer, I am not bound by the "must be concealed" rule that others are, but if I'm not on duty, it's concealed.

I switch between a G17 and G26 as my EDC. But I carry the G26 in colder weather as often as warmer weather simply due to the comfort of it. Plus, I carry the same ammo in both, so I'm not losing anything other than a little capacity.

But for warmer weather I'll no doubt carry the G26 more.

I love how both fit in my hand. Usually, which one I decide to carry on a given day comes down to which baby I want to take with me! I can't show favoritism without one or the other getting jealous!

After so many years of using and training with a variety of revolvers and pistols in the entire range of sizes available, I've come to prefer using smaller handguns for retirement weapons. This started during the last several years of my career, when I was more often carrying my subcompact pistols and snub revolvers than my larger ones.

Having the Winter months arrive means that my usual 5-shot snub revolvers and LCP's are even easier to pocket-holster than in warm/hot weather.

The heavier and larger jacket pockets can often more easily accommodate my small retirement guns, and do so more comfortably. Being able to change to a generous jacket pocket versus tighter jeans pocket, for example. It's also handy that some of the jacket pockets are more easily accessible than jeans pockets. I train/qual & practice using both pants pockets and jacket pockets, so it's something I usually work to keep 'current' when it comes to ingrained skillset.

I'll still occasionally belt on one of my larger handguns if my planned activities are going to take me to places where I consider a potentially higher threat risk, and if current events (like the SB shooting incident) make it seem prudent to plan for a higher potential threat risk in some locations where a soft/vulnerable target may be present.

Otherwise, I no longer take advantage of wearing bulkier clothing in colder weather, just to wear larger guns 'because I can'. I lost my interest in doing that after having worn a lot of full-size .357, .44 & .45 Colt revolvers, and assorted 1911's and issued duty 9's, .40's & .45 ACP's over my career. Carrying a .44 revolver of N-frame or Redhawk size IWB can become a pain in the side. ;) Not very appealing after a few years.

Its my view that the concept of capacity is overrated.../ carrying an extra mag for a single stack, in all probabiliy, is just fine. So I don't see any point to going to a bulkier - and probably heavier - double stack in the winter.

A full sized 1911...is just fine to me ...in all seasons ( with one extra mag ) - and whether I choose to carry it in a 9mm or .45 acp...

IWB single stack 9mm (or whatever) in the summer, then move to a double stack OWB in the winter because clothing allows for more so why not?

I carry a CZ PCR (a Glock 19 sized gun) at 5 o'clock IWB all summer wearing an untucked golf shirt or t-shirt and jeans or shorts.

The only reason for a thin single stack gun IMO is to carry IWB with a tucked in shirt (golf or button down) and docker type pants.

So same carry all year round depending on dress, not weather.

Last edited:
glocks and many guns like this have no external safety what if something unintentionally pulls at the trigger and it goes off what are the chances this can happen?

glocks and many guns like this have no external safety what if something unintentionally pulls at the trigger and it goes off what are the chances this can happen?

The chances are as good as you let them be. I have yet to hear of a gun going off that wasn't being handled OUT OF THE HOLSTER.

Im not sure how this relates to the topic under discussion.

In the heat of the summer, with shorts and tank tops being the rule, i carry a G26. As the weather cools and it becomes easier to conceal, a G19 takes its place.

Same carry location..same holster...same ammo (just more of it in the gun)

I suppose I agree with the OP. My LC9 is fine year-round. My SR9c is hard to conceal but easier to conceal in the winter. I suspect this is the opposite of the seasonal risk (if there is such a thing.)

folks, this isn't a pee pee contest on what gun is better for this or that. the facts are that many folks find carrying any gun to be a chore which is why you read about so many "was stolen out of my truck" stories....

in the summer in humid and hot climates a smaller gun is simply easier to conceal than a larger one simply because of the clothing most would wear. however, in the cooler months of winter when more clothing is worn, there is no need to handicap one's self with a smaller gun when a larger one can now be concealed with less effort.

I know many that carry a single stack 9mm in the summer (some carry only a 5 shot J frame), and that same gun is fine for the winter. but the reason they carry the single stack (or 5 shot J frame) is because it is smaller, more thin, easier to conceal in light clothing.

one poster here mentions a 5 shot .38 in the summer and then a 5 shot .44 in the winter. I think he understands the question. another posts about a G26 then changing to a G19 for the obvious reasons. this is the direction I wanted this conversion to go.;)

in the summer in humid and hot climates a smaller gun is simply easier to conceal than a larger one simply because of the clothing most would wear. however, in the cooler months of winter when more clothing is worn, there is no need to handicap one's self with a smaller gun when a larger one can now be concealed with less effort.
I don't find this to be the case at all.

Sure if you spent all day outside and never came indoors, you could conceal Detective Callahan's 8" barreled 44 magnum N frame under your coat. However, once indoors, coats come off.

In fact I find that many places crank the heat up so high in the winter that I find I'm stripping off layers and end up with a shirt just as thin as one I might wear in the summer.

I wear my work shirt unbuttoned and untucked all year long.
The only difference is I wear a long sleeve t-shirt in the winter, and a short sleeve in the summer. So I can carry the same handguns all year long.

Open carry starts here in Jan. so I may try carrying my 6'' Colt Python in a cross draw holster, which is covered by my shirt.:D

My activity, seasons and attire dictate my carry gun and style. I can tell you I've never been comfy with IWB, so it's pocket, OWB or other carry method. I haven't yet figured out speedo carry.

For hot summer weather, .380 acp. In spring & fall, 9mm. In the dead of winter, 45acp. For me, it's all about the weather, and the clothing required.

Back