Chamber ruined in 1911??

I am sure I have not seen as many case ruptures as Hunter Custom, but I have never seen a situation where one rupture (case separation) caused deep erosion in a chamber, or any damage at all. Barrel steel is, after all, made to resist gas cutting, since it occurs on every shot (that is what causes throat erosion); the steel will be eaten away, but not in one shot or a few shots.

Jim

I have.
My case of dampened Blazer aluminum 9mm was giving about 1 in 3 split cases. As long as the split was in the side wall of the case, there was no visible erosion to the chamber. But when one burnt through all the way back into the extractor groove, it gave a bright flash out the ejection port and left a divot in the chamber. One round.

Barrel steel is, after all, made to resist gas cutting, since it occurs on every shot
Not exactly. Steel barrels are usually 4140 or a close Chro-Mo alloy, SS are usually 416ss. Neither material is designed to resist cutting. When you get a rupture the force is much different than normal ignition of a cartridge. Essentially your cartridge becomes a shape charge not unlike those used to bring down bridges and buildings. During normal ignition the charge is exhausted through a large (relative to charge size) orifice. When it goes through the side of the case its a very narrow orifice at much higher speed.

Like Jim Watson one round is all that ruptured that ruined my slide and barrel.

The round had several small holes and lines burnt through the case web and extractor rebate, along with that it burnt away about half of the rim.

The exact burn pattern was gas cut into my barrel and the breech face of my slide, the gas cuts were to deep to be removed.

I relate the rupture to be more like a plasma cutter directing the jets of hot gas under pressure to cut deep.

Back