CFE223 and 223 remington

Sorry, if you read my text, I was strictly talking about "AR15's" which don't care at all about marketing stuff like "Copper eraser". Its literally useless.
Sweets is good. I think Butches Bore shine is slightly better, but both those are really toxic. I really like Bore Tech Eliminator its super super good.

Sorry, if you read my text, I was strictly talking about "AR15's" which don't care at all about marketing stuff like "Copper eraser". Its literally useless.
Sweets is good. I think Butches Bore shine is slightly better, but both those are really toxic. I really like Bore Tech Eliminator its super super good.
I have had great luck with bore tech eliminator as well. I have also tried their CU+2 dedicated copper remover, and it works quite well. I found their C4 carbon remover to be lackluster and will stick with slip2000 carbon killer. Both eliminator and CU+2 having no odor and being safe to leave in the barrel for extended periods is fantastic. I usually use the eliminator first, and if it needs it follow up with the CU+2 once the carbon and fouling it out of the way.

Worst case I resort to JB bore past and bore bright.

Interesting. Read the instructions said to use the gel AFTER Eliminator or c4 or cu+2 to remove loose fouling first. And to use one of them to remove the gel whrn done. Also said to scrub in 2in sections with a special patch when cleaning.

Seems like a bit much, jb bore paste is a lot easier to use.

Think of JB or Iosso mixed with some chemical cleaners to assist the mild abrasive. I don't know what is gelling it, but any of the precipitated silicas will do it and would polish. Maybe diatomaceous earth would work; have to try that.

9MMand223only said:
Sorry, if you read my text, I was strictly talking about "AR15's" which don't care at all about marketing stuff like "Copper eraser".

Maybe we are talking past each other. I am talking about barrels that copper so fast it starts to spoil your score in the middle of a match. As far as I know, they can be found in any high-power rifle caliber.

I believe all the copper reducing powder additives were first developed for military ammunition because the issued bore cleaners never removed it very well. In any event, they are common now. Most all the Alliant Reloader series except RE7 have them, as well as Alliant's AR Comp. All the new IMR Enduron powders and all the Vihtavuori rifle powders have them, as do most of the Norma powders. And then there are the several Hodgdon powders that have them, plus the new Winchester StaBALL 6.5 powder. There won't be any getting away from them in rife propellants, soon. If QuickLOAD's database is accurate, the Lovex powders don't employ them yet, so you could buy Shooter's World powders and not run into them. Yet.

Cfe223 Magnum vs regular cci primer test

So, I was curious if using magnum primers with cfe223 in my savage 223 remington would give me better results.
I did a range test today with 77g Sierra hpbt and cfe223, 5 charges, everything the exact same, only difference was one set had regular CCI 400 SRP and the other set had CCI 450 SRP magnum.
I'm attaching a photo with the two targets side by side with a few numbers, the velocity, sd and size of group.
I'm not really sure what I can conclude from this, other than, the magnum primers gave me slightly better sd's, so maybe a better burn than regular primers.
As far as better groups, I think they are very comparable. I am going to test this again with a couple other bullets, but I don't think I will be surprised by any huge gains or differences.

Attachments

• IMG_20220511_114553334.jpg
    IMG_20220511_114553334.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 27
So, I was curious if using magnum primers with cfe223 in my savage 223 remington would give me better results.
I did a range test today with 77g Sierra hpbt and cfe223, 5 charges, everything the exact same, only difference was one set had regular CCI 400 SRP and the other set had CCI 450 SRP magnum.
I'm attaching a photo with the two targets side by side with a few numbers, the velocity, sd and size of group.
I'm not really sure what I can conclude from this, other than, the magnum primers gave me slightly better sd's, so maybe a better burn than regular primers.
As far as better groups, I think they are very comparable. I am going to test this again with a couple other bullets, but I don't think I will be surprised by any huge gains or differences.
Primer changes chan make a drastic difference. I have had .270 Win loads that were .3 moa with Rem 9 1/2 and we're 2 moa with WLR. Just change brands and the velocity and group will change.

Spherical powders preferring magnum primers for ignition consistency is nothing new. To my eye, it looks like the gun prefers about a grain less powder with the 450s than with the 400s. That's just eyeballing, mind you, not a proper analysis.

Back