Centerfire pistol for accuracy only

Re: Desert Eagles

Would not suggest them to anyone new to auto-loaders or new to guns. They have quirks and just aren't "newbie friendly."

Yes, they are good guns... for $1000+. they sure as heck better be. But, you're also paying a lot for the novel looks and all the heft of the thing. Yes, it's fun to shoot magnum rounds in an autoloader, but eventually, the ridiculousness of the cumbersome beast will overwhelm you.

Easy Answer Augie!

Give Jimmie Clarks or Ed Brown a call, yer looking for a longslide 1911 for the added "heft" your looking for and in caliber .45acp. If you reload a 200gn H&G with sharp corners (not the mass produced rounded butts!) with 5.7gns of 231 will easily get an inch at 50yds with the power factor mentioned.
I keep reading about this SIG 210 and it's almost "Mystical" accuracy but have never seen one in use at a serious bullseye match and will wager the mystical Swiss gun can't compete with a AMTU hardball gun. Another choice might be the now discontinued LAR Grizzley that was offered in the optional .45acp also, very accurate guns as well. Roy

I keep reading about this SIG 210 and it's almost "Mystical" accuracy but have never seen one in use at a serious bullseye match and will wager the mystical Swiss gun can't compete with a AMTU hardball gun.

Since the rules of NRA Conventional Pistol competition require the use of a .45 for at least one third of a 2700 match, it's hardly surprising that a 9mm pistol, no matter how accurate, wouldn't be common at a bullseye match. Sure, you could shoot it for the Centerfire match, but why bother when you could get a match grade .32 or .38 for under $1500?

Matt, I am no bullseye shooter, but I don't think you are correct. I looked on the bullseyepistol.com page under rules and 9mm is allowed although I don't think that gun is allowed because it is not a US Service pistol. Also, I realize that Auger specifically said he wasn't interested in bullseye, IPSC, etc. So does this mean that Sportsmans Challenge guns have different methods of acheiving accuracy ? I am sure that an "IPSC gun" or a "Bullseye Gun" might just work when not actually competing in those sports, and I think that the gunsmiths specializing in those sports have learned a think or two about what makes a 1911 tick.

There are two basic types of bullseye matches: 2700s run by the NRA and Service Pistol matches run by the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program). For the Service Pistol matches, the only pistols that are legal right now are 1911s in .45 ACP and the Beretta M9, 92F or 92FS in 9x19mm. The 2700s are divided into three 900 point matches: one for .22 rimfire handguns, one for .45 handguns, and one for centerfire (.32 and up) handguns. The SIG P210 would definitely be legal for the centerfire match, but since it wouldn't be legal for the .45 match, a competitor using it would also have to buy and train with a .45 pistol as well to be able to shoot the whole 2700. Most bullseye shooters (including the national champions of the last 10+ years) just use their .45s for the centerfire match to keep things simple.

Also, I realize that Auger specifically said he wasn't interested in bullseye, IPSC, etc. So does this mean that Sportsmans Challenge guns have different methods of acheiving accuracy ?

They might, depending upon the rules of the game. For instance, they might use revolvers which can be just as accurate as well-tuned 1911s but which aren't competitive in bullseye because of the difficulty of shooting them in rapid fire with one hand. Or if they have to shoot at 100+ yards they might use some sort of scoped single shot pistols with bottlenecked cartridges.

I'm just trying to keep an open mind until we find out exactly what's required.

I'm offshore in the Gulf of Mexico without my notes so here goes from memory. Sportsmen Team Challenge rules for the pistol section (presently, there are 6 sections, 1 for pistol only, 1 for rifle only, 1 for pistol and rifle, and 3 for shotgun)are really not strigent. Of the 3 people shooting in each section of the pistol only, one has to shoot rimfire, one shoot centerfire pistol of powerfactor of 125 or more and one shoot centerfire of powerfactor of 175 or more, all in a relay. The gun can be scoped, 3 preloaded magazines or speedloaders, and so many steel targets (none past 50 yards) which all 3 of you must knock down in 1 minute 30 sec. I've read the rules and you're pretty much free to do whatever you want to whatever pistol (or revolver) you choose. I don't think it would be practical to shoot with a single shot. Other than that, the sky is the limit. Oh, almost forgot, magazines limited to 10 rounds.

Kelly

are we talking autoloaders

or revolvers? If revolvers can be included, I would vote for the Smith and Weeson Model 25 or 625 in 45 ACP. In my experience, these are extremely accurate pistols (yes, even more accurate than the vaunted SIG P210, one of which I used to own). In fact, when I'm done lying to myself about pistol accuracy, I must confess that a box-stock S&W 625 is absolutely the most accurate handgun I've ever owned or fired. Just my 2/5ths of a plugged nickel.
vanfunk

For $329.00 a CZ75 will get you 1.5 inch groups at 25 yards.
This is out of the box. A Barsto barell for another $185 will get you down close to 1 inch groups.

Back