CCW

Most will tell you to get a good gun belt. They are 100% right. I started out using a slightly heavier dress belt and struggled. I finally went with a dedicated gun belt with steel reinforcement and it made all the difference in the world.

FWIW, Beltman the company changed hands a few months ago. The new owner took the time to email at least some previous customers
Thanks for the info. Didn't get the email so this is great. probably had something he had in mind with the move from NC to Utah or Idaho

"...doesn't really matter what belt..." Yeah it does. A cheap thin belt won't hold the extra weight and the pistol will sag in the holster.

Lol....sounds good, I will remember that. I just took the dogs for a walk carrying IWB, I didn't even have a belt on, nope, just the holster on the waistband of my jeans, didn't shift anywhere I didn't want it to.

The thing is Targa, you might actually have a waist.

And by 'waist' I mean if you take your traditional 3 measurements and the middle one is the largest (like mine is)......well, you might have problems.

One friend of mine found he could forego his suspenders by using an 'economical' (not cheap) Uncle Mike shoulder rig that connected to his belt.

Sigh. Who was it that said 'if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself!' ?

While a belt may be a good start, what make/model will you be carrying? IWB, OWB, Shoulder, Cross-Draw, Pocket-carry? What kind of holster?

Keep in mind that it doesn't always have to be a 2" wide x 1/8 thick full grain leather belt. A nylon 5.11 will work. Even a top grain leather belt will work, if it's worn for a particular application. Just gotta stay away from the pressed leather garbage.

TailGator,you are spot on with the Beltman gunbelts. I got one from them & it is the best gunbelt I ever had. When I got the belt it came with a list of belt's that where a little off for like 50% off. They had one in my size that was horse hide. Only thing wrong with it was the holes where not 100% in the middle but belt worked fine. So I got it. Now I have two great gunbelt's. I don't even use my other belts for gun carry anymore. I did not know (intill you told me) that they have new owners. It works very good for me because I carry a full size all steel gun most of the time.(or a compact steel/alloy gun) No polymer/plastic junk for me.LOL:)

Targa said:
"...doesn't really matter what belt..." Yeah it does. A cheap thin belt won't hold the extra weight and the pistol will sag in the holster.
Lol....sounds good, I will remember that. I just took the dogs for a walk carrying IWB, I didn't even have a belt on, nope, just the holster on the waistband of my jeans, didn't shift anywhere I didn't want it to.
What you carry makes a difference here, too. While I'm a proponent of having a proper gunbelt, an LCP just won't make your pants sag the way a gov't model 1911 will.

Surprised no-one mentioned a good belt and holster yet :D

I think I have Crossbreed belts (its been a number of years so who remembers) and they work great from Glocks to 1911's to my Ruger Redhawk 4" in the woods.

No droopage.

Fair enough, I have never carried full size. My IWB has consisted of a Glock 26, a 642 and my current carry which is a CM9. Now when I carried the G26 OWB a belt, nothing special, just a belt, was obviously necessary to feed through my Safariland holster and to hold my pants up.

Fair enough, I have never carried full size. My IWB has consisted of a Glock 26, a 642 and my current carry which is a CM9. Now when I carried the G26 OWB a belt, nothing special, just a belt, was obviously necessary to feed through my Safariland holster and to hold my pants up.

You might find that a nice gun belt makes those lightweight guns even nicer to carry. I definitely appreciate it even with my Glock 26.

Suspenders are good. I just have a really good Big Foot Gun Belt
kennydale-albums-glock-picture122641-bigfoot-g17-b.jpg

A decent belt, along with the proper size pants.

"Sizing up" your pants for IWB is just going to make things worse. Wear what you normally do without the gun, and things will work a lot better.

I agree AK. I have a friend who wears his "tactical" clothes one size or more too big because he is afraid someone will see he's carrying a gun. It makes it more difficult to secure things, and just screams "concealed gun" to anyone paying attention.

Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer 5-Stitch Belt and Perry UBEE suspenders worn under an untucked shirt. Works for IWB, OWB, and pocket holsters.

Back