CCW

LT, thank you for the kind words. Alot of people think that they need to to attend big name schools to get great training. Although some of the schools are great in their methods and in the material, there are some that are not.
Usually, the Instructor who is former military or LE, has a little harsher way of instructing. I am former LE, but I have been teaching before I became a police officer. I always treat my students the way I want to be treated.

There is a stress simulation part of the class, but I tell the student that during that session there will yelling and screaming and gun shots and jogging in place, some push ups the dry and then live fire under very close watch and ready to act within arms reach away. Each students does this with an individual Instructor. Once the simulation is over, the students get a small dose of it with warning once in awhile to simulate what it is like in a deadly frce situation. They are also using dummy rounds mixed in with live ammo so they practice IAD in real time and with proper instruction and correction if need be.

If the Instructor has some real world experience, and has taken instructor course from some of the top name schools, ask them what topics are covered and what the round count will be? Also, have them tell you a brief description of themselves and like mentioned before see if you can get references from former students by all means I would.

DD

The Instructor certificates and real word experience is what will benfit you in the long run. How they teach and what they teach is invaluable. Some students need the DI mentality in there Instructor in order to comprehend the seriousness of the material being taught. I only turn up the heat during the simulation rounds and when a student violates the Basic safety rules and just doesnt get it.

DD

DD,

I completely agree. I've been taught by Pros at ranges, but the best instruction I've ever gotten was from my Grandfather who just knew what he was talking about, but was never a teacher.

The thing about mining for gold is that you can find it anywhere, but it's not going to jump into your lap. You need to dig. Read reviews of instructors, or have conversations with them. I don't know one real "Gun-Guy" that won't stop what he's doing and shoot the crap with you about guns and training if you're really interested. But where you're really going to hit it big is finding a teacher, professional or not, that will instill safety as paramount, teach you the basics on stance, grip, sight alignment, help you to develop some simple training regimines, and open your eyes to how much there really is to learn out there. If you find someone who can do this (and there are plenty), then you're definitely golden.

~LT

There are all kinds of people who call themselves "instructors". Some are good and some, not so much. What is important to me is exactly WHO they have experience instructing.

I look for instructors that "instruct" as a profession. I look for someone who has at least been instructing full time for 5 years and at some point have instructed at a LEO or Federal level.

FF, some of the best instructors I have had were part-time instructors and never taught at a An Academy or at a federal level, then I have had some that did both and including military. Some good and some not so good. If the instructor makes it interesting then you should learn alot. If you are struggling to keep your eyes open or he is to uptight then you probably wont get alot from the material being taught. Best way to know is by word of mouth advertising.

DD

Back