CCW Recommendation

everyone has their own opinion

mine is--depends on your budget and needs

great carry guns are out there--both da/sa and striker fired

some love 1911s . some love glocks,walthers, S+Ws

we use a glock 19 for cooler weather carry

for summer carry we have a walther ccp or (recently) we bought S+W shields BUT that trigger bothers me. It is not a traditional in trigger safety like a glock. It seems to me that the trigger can be pulled almost all the time thus accidental discharges are more of a reality(maybe someone who carries a S+W product can discuss why it is NOT a huge danger vs glocks or walther or a good revolver/semi auto in DA/sa?

so for a list try

compact Beretta 92

cz 75 compact or p-01

glock 19

walther ppq or ccp

h+K vz9

too many others to just list

Staying with a 9mm is smart.../ lighter recoil, less expensive retail ammo for practice....

A couple of guns that I like ( with big hands ) ...and guns that some of the younger grandkids also like shooting ( with smaller hands ) ....:

a. the Sig 239 ( because the mag on it has a bumper that allows you to get your pinky finger firmly on the gun - and the single stack is still small enough for smaller hands). -----

b. a 1911 in 9mm / Kimber Tactical Pro model is light with an alloy frame, 4" bull barrel, decent gun - lighter than a full sized 1911. There are other offerings out there in 1911's in 9mm...Springfield, Colt - and some higher end guns from Wilson Combat, etc...

As mentioned by someone else, I would also recommend a pair of Glocks. 5 years ago my wife hated guns, and didn't even want them around the house. After taking her shooting we found she was not a fan of longer trigger pulls (Kahr), DA/SA was a no go due to her hand size (HK), snubbies were tough (S&W), but the Glock 42 worked perfectly for her.

I was surprised she liked the feel of Glocks, but was glad she found something to shoot. I tried to step it up to a PPS in 9mm, but it wasn't to be. The recoil is sharp, and it didn't have that Glock feel. It all worked out as I used that opportunity to buy a G26 and G42, and like that Glock made a believer out of me. You obviously can't swap magazines between the two (or with G43 and G26), but other than interchangability, I feel like we were not losing anything.

I've been to many ranges across a few different states. Every range I've seen that rents guns has Glocks to try. Grab a Glock and whatever comprable models to try out. It may work for you, or it may not. One of the ranges I went to would charge a flate rate to rent, then you could swap a few times before they would consider charging you again... Those are the places to shoot.

I have a Taurus PT111 and it seems to fit your criteria very well. I have larger hands and it is quite comfortable for me, and fits in my wife's hands fine as well. It does have a rail to mount a light as well. The only complaint I have is the trigger, not a big fan of the takeup in it but I've gotten used to it.

As millions of new conceal carry buyers can attest... The smith n Wesson Shield is perhaps the most reliable, easy to carry n accurate of any CC handgun on the market today. It comes with or without manual safety in 9mm or 40 n with a little practice can even be pocket carried with little or no printing in a pocket holster such as Desantis makes for it.

I had all but chosen the Walther PPS as my new carry two weeks ago. After watching PPS video's on You Tube, I was ready to buy my first striker fired pistol.

I went to a very reputable dealer I had purchased from in the past, with the cash in pocket. He handed me a PPS, and left to wait on other customers.

The video on You Tube had warned me about the slide return being difficult to work with just a thumb. His kept sliding off. I couldn't get the slide to return with just my thumb. Not only did my thumb slide past the lever, I couldn't get the darn thing to return using both hands.

The video also warned me about the mag. release being on the trigger guard. No way! The Pro on the video had some difficulty, I had allot of difficulty. I decided there was no way I was going to get a quick slide release with that system. So I didn't purchase the PPS. I was disappointed, because the feel, and size of the gun, were just what I was looking for.

Maybe it was just "That" PPS. Maybe it was me. Irregardless, I wasn't going to spend the time it would take, working out a gun with a frozen slide release, and a dumb mag. release. The Euros can keep it. My point, if you are considering a PPS for carry, try it, before you buy...:rolleyes:

Back