CCW how do you do it?

Crash

I've been thinking more about a CCW permit lately and was wondering how individuals conceal their weapons. Namely, what type of clothes do you wear to conceal your firearm and holster and where on your person is it located.

If this is a bit to personal of a question, or someone has a web page up discussing this, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Crash

There are al kinds of ways to carry and you really need to experiment with a few and decide what works best. Two factors you may want to consider are where you will be going and what the weather is. My favorite two methods are:
1. Strong side, open top, hip holster. You can pretty much get by unnoticed wearing any type of jacked including one of those nylon running suit tops. SOB holsters also fit in here.
2. A "butt pack" worn around the waist with the gun in front. You see these everywhere these days. They can look a little funny if you carry a full sized gun because the pack is fairly large.

I would also look into belly bands (all you need is a loose fitting t-shirt) and ankle holsters.

Whatever you decide, remember to practice drawing exactly as you would on the street. A concealed weapon does no good if you can't bring it into play.

I like the Glock 22 in a small of the back holster. Just wear a longer shirt or jacket.
Works for me!

------------------
JOIN THE NRA, SUPPORT PROJECT EXILE!
THEY FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS EVEN IF YOU DON"T

I always carry on my right hip either on the belt or IWB. Cold weather- no problem, cover with a jacket. Cool weather- Open flannel shirt worn like a jacket. Warm weather- I've got a tan safari type shirt. Square tail and four pockets, wear it open over a colored t-shirt. Works similar to a vest without being so obvious. Hot weather- carry IWB under a loose fitting T-shirt.

I carry a S&W 4516-2 strong side in a Mitch Rosen ARG IWB holster on a Rosen belt with an SOS weak side with a spare magazine and Sure Fire 6P in it. I like to wear a t-shirt with a loose outer garment such as a vest.

------------------
John - NRA - Lifer

Here is one previous thread that outlines many TFL members carry habits.

[Link to invalid post]

We have had several threads on this topic over the months, try searching the archives as well.

Since February I have fallen in love with my Banana Republic Photographers Vest. It allows me to carry IWB of a belt holster and a an extra mag on the belt (something I rarely did in the past). It is also great for keeping all sorts of goodies in the pockets. including a cell phone.

I have carried a knife for years, usually a Benchmade Auto, but I switched a few months ago to a CQC-7, since it is a well made, fast opening blade that can be operated easily with one hand, opening and closing, like the auto with one major bonus: It's not Illegal!

When travelling via Airline I have started carrying a Mad Dog Mirage-X Micro.

------------------
-Essayons

Crash, this question has befuddled me as well. I'm in a 'suit' situation, so most carry alternatives are out.

The two solutions that do seem to work for 'suit and tie' folks are belly bands and Thunderwear - see http://www.thunderwear.com/ .

I'm trying the Thunderwear route right now, but it is clear this is one area where you can do your research, but ultimately you need to invest some money and time to find out what will work for you in your situation. Good luck.

ps - get the permit. Also makes firearms purchases much less hassle.

Jeff,

If I understood your problem, it was not wearing a suit, but the fact that you take your jacket off frequently while at the office.

Wearing a Suit with a proper belt or shoulder holster is one fo the easier times to carry, provided that the jacket is not coming off.

------------------
-Essayons

I recommend finding a good, knowledgeable person to talk to. How you conceal depends on your body size and shape, your clothing style, your personal habits, and your realistic needs.

I suppose you can do that over the net if you're comfortable enough to part with such information. Because without which, it would be unrealistic to give you a good reply. Forgive me for saying so, but just saying, "How should I conceal?" is far too ambiguous.

But if I had to make a shot in the dark, a good paddle or belt slide holster in the strong side is probably the way to go, if not the most popular.

Here's a link which you might find helpful:

http://www.gunhide.com

[This message has been edited by SB (edited May 28, 1999).]

First, thanks to all that have replied.

SB,

Sorry for the ambiguous nature of my post, but this is something completely new to me. Since TFL has been such a great place to gain knowledge and insight (thanks Rob and all) I thought this would be a logic place to raise my hand and ask such a novice question.

While I'm not necessarily in a suit situation. I need to look presentable for management and the customers so untucked shirts are out. I'm also to warm blooded to wear a coat in my climate.

One of my concerned is climbing in and out of cars and sitting while carrying concealed.

For what its worth I'm 5'10" with a 33" waist and 30" inseam and usually where shirts in the medium to large size.

Judging by the lack of pants in my size when I go shopping I'd say I'm not to far from the mean.

Well, you certainly have come to the right place. There are some incredibly insightful people on here. I learn new stuff all the time thanks to these guys and gals.

Based on the information you have provided, here are a few bits of info. which may or may not be helpful to you:

Untucked is slightly trickier unless you're wearing a vest or sports coat over it. If not, tuckable holsters are an option worth considering. They are IWBs that allow you to conceal with your shirt tucked. The downside is that they tend to be much bulkier and are slower and more complicated to draw. But if concealment needs are such that this may be your most realistic option, I recommend Mitch Rosen's Workman for premium leather, Bladetech's Ultimate Coneal Carry for Kydex/Concealex, or Galco's Deep Undercover for normal horse hide. I'm sure others can make even more suggestions beyond this.

For cars, strong side carry is essentially out. Especially with bucket-like seats. Others have gotten around the problem either by change to a different carry position, using paddles so the holster can be taken in and out, or have separate holsters made for the cars so they be tucked away there when driving. Also, there are some hardcore people out there that just sit on it and bear it. Finally, some people have.. er.. plenty of abdominal surface area and can get away with this comfortably, but based on your measurements, I don't think you're one of them.

There are plenty of alternative carry positions. Options depend on what type of firearm you intend to carry, along with a manifest of your other gears and equipment you take along with you when you move about. It would not be a bad idea to get a catalog from a major manufacturer or two to get an idea of the options available to you.

In the end, it may take some time through trial and error before you get something that's just right for you. This might sound silly, but a way to assist you in the process of elimination is to buy a water gun that is as close as possible to the dimension of your real pistol, duct tape it to your body, and go about your business, and see how it feels. This might help give you a better idea as to what will or will not work without having to buy too many holsters that doesn't work.

Crash,

proportionally, we may be about the same size, or you might be slightly stockier, but I have trouble with "tuckable" IWBs, Tehy print badly when I have tried to use them with anything larger than a Beretta Tomcat.

You might consider a fanny pack or one of those zip-up day runners with a holster compartment. If you work with any types of tools (computer tech, etc..) the fanny pack can be easily explained, otherwise, the notebook is rather common place in white-collar circles.

The fanny pack gives you the perfect cross draw presentation for seated positons, in cars or at the desk.

You might consider wearing a stylish photographers vest.. I've found that they only scream "gun" to people who are gun knowledgable, and if you are legal, they are no problem.

------------------
-Essayons

Just one issue regarding the day planner type holsters is retention of your weapon in that the user risks misplacing the planner or being separated from it if the poop hits the fan. It is much safer to use a carry method that firmly attaches to your person.

Crash,
As you see, different people, builds, clothing, firearms, tastes, needs etc. all enter into it.
As a member of the Fat Boys Club (I have my Belly Button to prove membership), I find my Alessi IWB works fine anywhere in cool weather (jacket or sweater covers my .45) but warm weather can be a bummer - especially when I have to roll around on the floor with Annie. (The CPR manikin!!!)
I tried a fanny pack and a friend jokingly called it a "fag bag" and accused me of "turning" gay. I warned him (with a slight lisp), "That doesn't necessarily mean I'm a nice person!" I enjoyed his double take.
One of my CHL students carried her Glock in a specially-converted handbag. A punk ripped it right out of her hands at a check-out counter in a downtown San Antonio store. Lost her gun, licenses, credit cards, important papers & photos, etc. Therefore give MGB's comment some thought.
I frequently carry my .45 in a leather bookbag-looking briefcase with my planner, some first aid demo gear and other "treasures". The bag weighs 18+ pounds (I just weighed it) so I don't think it will "run off" very easily. I keep the bag on the (passenger's) car seat when I'm driving and right next to me everywhere else. If you need to carry a bunch of stuff with you, a briefcase or bookcase may work. Just be sure it does NOT look like a case for a laptop computer (Steal me first!!).
Hope you find something that works for you.

pocket holsters are good for a small weapon.
I you use a fanny pack, try to get one that isn't black.

------------------

I like IWB rigs for smallish guns and a light jacket to cover it...

Bigger guns get a Galco concealable rig... and a jacket or shirt to cover it.

I have a small ankle rig for my PPK/S and that does me pretty good for when the air is too hot.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Just for the sake of information, the downside to fanny packs are that they scream "gun". This may or may not be an issue. Also, they tend to be slow to draw as well, and will require two hands.

It's an excellent suggestion which I have tried and had quite a bit of success in the past. But like tuckable holster, I think it's better off avoided if you can get a better method of carry to work. Just wanted to get all sides out there.

Crash,

Here's a belly band that I have found works very well for me (when I'm not carrying openly), especially in a tucked in shirt/suit situation. I particularly like it in the cross-draw position.

A friend of mine carries a full sized 1911 with it. He's got more of a stocky build than you (as you have described), but it works for him as well.

Here's the site:

http://www.action-direct.com/defender.htm

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

www.countdown9199.com

I'm no big "gotta have a fanny pack" guy.. but I think a lot of the arguments used against them are stretches. First, presentation from the belt buckle area is one of the fastest presentations that there is. Obviously, if you carry strong side all the time and practice like you should, throwing the gun up from a front crossdraw position isn't going to prove me right.. In fact, I am faster from the strong side than the front corssdraw.. BUT, I have seen several tapes and heard from several trusted instructors that, with practice, the front crossdraw is the fastest presentation there is.. I believe them.

Also, many fanny packs can easily be one handed operations, including the deSantis and the Galco.. It may add a few tenths of a second, but if it means that you havea full size gun instead of a pocket gun (which is by now means a fast presentation) or no gun at all.. well, I'll take the extra few tenths...

Galco makes their nylon fanny packs in various colors.

------------------
-Essayons

Im past the middle age spread part and have just gotten fat, but and im around 5'10 I can conceal a 3" mdl65 in the front of my pants between the zipper and right pocket, the added belly roll and a t-shirt is all that is needed to conceal completly, although sitting for a long time is a pain....for a while I carried a heavily modified detective spl in a kramer pockett holster,,,,,,no one ever noticed any of these carries and I never show em.....Ive used the belly bans and there ok, cept if your fat,.... the only problem I had with the butt pack was the weight of the firearm and ammo would drag the pouch down and I would have to be pulling it up, I resorted to running the strap through some belt loops and that helped, although it could have been a clue to a knowledgeable person that it wasnt my wallet in there, and they can be quick and with good awareness and practice, they miht surprise ya.....Because of girth and short arms, shoulder holsters are out although I can wear then for large revolvers on the chest, but I read years ago about how some folks put a shoulder holster on and covered it with a shirt and either left a button open so they could access or just tore the botton's off if they needed it, of course now there is velcro so that might be an option.........another carry that I have used and liked is an ankle carry--these are slow and have inherent dangers as far as acquiring from a standing position, but while driving there allright.....situation, clothing, type of firearms all make a difference....fubsy.

Back