CCW for smaller female + off body question

Borz

Inactive
I know off-body carry is counter to orthodoxy for lots of good reasons - purse-snatching, plain old losing your crap, time to draw et cetera.

I'm wondering if this is mitigable enough to be a viable carry method for a woman who's 5'1" and 110 lbs. I honestly can't figure of a single other way someone that size can carry without completely sacrificing fashion (which, knowing women, is a no-go).

On-body would be preferable but I just can't imagine how that would be pulled off. I could IWB a Glock 40 if I wanted to; for her that would be like sticking an AK pistol down your waistband.

Any ideas? Sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place.

So, I had to take a peek at that flashbang holster. Now, I'm not a woman, but boy does that look uncomfortable! And, difficult to access. There's got to be a better way.

I believe each person has to evaluate the risk, make their own decisions and take responsibility for those decisions. Now, does this mean I think off body carry is wrong? No. However, whatever carry method someone chooses that person needs to be conscious of the gun at all times.

So, will your wife be carrying at work? If so keeping the purse with her at all times might be difficult. However, if she isn’t carrying the gun to work keeping her purse with her isn’t impossible, but again it has to be a conscious decision. Also, make sure the purse is secured most likely cross body and zipped shut. Remember the child that reached into Mom’s purse and shot her with the gun he found? Bottom line I think off body carry is a valid option for some people, but evaluate the risk and plan accordingly.

If you haven't already done so check out this WEB site which focuses on women and guns. https://www.corneredcat.com/

GunTotenMamas.com has the largest selection,,,

GunTotenMamas.com has the largest selection,,,
All of their purses/totes/bags have a steel cable in the strap.

The draw might be slower than with a holster,,,
But that is alleviated by being able to have your hand on the hidden gun.

I use one of their men's briefcases more often than a holster,,,
When I leave a store at night my hand is in the pouch,,,
My hand is on my gun but it's still concealed.

I was in a video store one time when a fight broke out,,,
I was backing away from the action very quickly,,,
But my hand found my gun and no one knew.

Irregardless of what the adamant naysayers will tell you,,,
Off body is just as viable a carry method as a holster.

It's just different,,,
Planning for the differences and practice is the remedy.

Aarond

Lots of guys warn of the risks of purse carry. Lots of women do it anyway.

My wife carries in her purse a fair amount. She makes sure to buy purses that have a pocket she can dedicate to her pistol, and have a sturdy strap long enough to go across her body. She uses a Remora holster inside her purse, and reports that it stays oriented pretty reliably.

My daughter carries her KelTec in a holster similar to the flash bang only hers clips to the bra and then sits under the bra . Pistol is horizontal . She can raise her shirt and draw pretty dang fast. Really no worst than us with a IWB clearing our shirt and drawing . Both take practice.

I got a flashbang holster for my wife. SHE HATED IT! I sent it back for a refund.
she carries her j frame in a smartcarry holster. she has never been made and there is no sign that she is carrying. I carried my j frame in a smartcarry wearing only a swimsuit and nobody ever knew.

I highly advise against off body carry.

v-fib

Small gun... I would say something like the Sig p238 (I don't want to hear anyone comment about it being a .380, if it's that bad of a round, I say come here and let me shoot you with it.)

Then I suggest a minimalistic AIWB trigger guard holster. Cook's Holsters makes them. https://www.cooksholsters.com/inside-waist-band-trigger-guard-carry/

If she does prefer off body, I second GunTotenMamas. I have one of their purses to keep as standby in case a situation arises that I can't carry on body. I think I have used it 3 times. But love it.

As for that Flashbang. Waste of money..

Have you tried appendix carry somewhere between the 12:00 and 1:30 position? With a Remora or Sticky holster you wouldn't even need to wear a belt. Most women and even men find it much easier to conceal in this position. I know I do. Even with a normal sized t shirt it disappears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A shorter, small female body has multiple advantages in stylish over garments. Holster suggestions mentioned are good, if the handgun is not to bulky to carry. Try a light weight over tunic, but make sure the holster is secured to a leather belt. I'm a moderate weight male with an LC9s narrow pocket holster carrier. At 110lbs., I think you will need a narrow and not so heavy firearm. But for you, narrow, single stack magazine and a light over garment should suffice.

I'll tell her to look into IWB with a Remora or similar. As for the pistol, the Kel-Tec options (specifically the P32) are looking pretty good.

She's way too fond of her handbags to specifically get one for carry.

The Flashbang looks pretty uncomfortable and difficult to get at when wearing anything other than a loose blouse/shirt.

Darkstar888: said:
Have her take a look at the Walther PPS M2. I know a bunch of women (and men) who swear by it. A slim single stack soft shooting 9mm. Three different mag capacities with different baseplate lengths. 6,7,and 8rd options. 100% reliable and world class ergonomics.

I agree 100%, my PPS M2 is totally reliable and it is about as accurate as my larger guns with just about every type of factory ammo that I've used with it. It comes with six and seven round magazines, and I bought 2 extra eight round magazines. With the six round mag it carries beautifully with every holster I've tried with it:)

I am 5'2" and, while a bit heavier than 110 lbs, I carry a CZ P01 midsize pistol in a belly band. You can place the pistol anywhere on your middle that feels comfortable and conceals with what you are wearing. You can also lower it to fit around your hips and stomach.

I am picking up a "sticky" holster for it tomorrow for IWB carry at the 1-2 o'clock position. After that I will order the beltless IWB or OWB magnetic hold holster - see video at "The Well Armed Woman" site. I almost never wear a belt and this one works with gym shorts to slacks or jeans and no belt. Can't wait to try it out.

I also wear an Undertech Tank but the CZ P-01 midsize is a bit large for it. I use the S+W snub nosed 38 or the Beretta Nano for that carry. I bought a pair of Undertech leggings for appendix or 1-2 o'clock carry. Those are good for a tunic topper and hide the pistols well.

Check out "The Well Armed Woman" site for good videos showing various holsters for women. I would not recommend the FlashBang. It is horribly uncomfortable and dangerous. Recently a woman died after shooting her breast off while trying to pull her pistol out. There are lots of sites showing holsters designed specially for women's concealed carry on the internet. Check them out.

For a long time I didn't carry because carry in my purse was handy and dangerous. Too many friends or acquaintances with access to a carelessly laid handbag having access to answer my cell phone or grab a pen or aspirin. Like many people- men or women- I have a box of unused holsters that don't fit my needs. Since discovering the ones designed for women, I carry every day.

Last edited:
Any model single stack 9mm would be preferable, but unless the female shooter has not practiced the firearm and become familiar and proficient in its use, it would be to no avail in a confrontation requiring its effectiveness in preserving her life. Within a close of 10-12 feet, she'll miss 57% of the shots to stop the assailant.

Off body done with thought -- I.e. a dedicated product with a compartment etc. not just tossed in a bottomless pit of a bag is well within the realm of reasonable for many people. And it is better then nothing though has some big drawbacks.

A glock 43 sized weapon can be hidden by most even taking fashion not account, the favorite of many I have worked with is some form of armpit carry --- tank top undershirts with pockets etc... very secure, very hidden, fairly quick. Many can hide unto a glock 19 size gun in this sort of rig.

Lots of guys warn of the risks of purse carry. Lots of women do it anyway.

My wife carries in her purse a fair amount. She makes sure to buy purses that have a pocket she can dedicate to her pistol, and have a sturdy strap long enough to go across her body. She uses a Remora holster inside her purse, and reports that it stays oriented pretty reliably.

She Who Must Be Obeyed has a dedicated carry purse, with its own pocket that allows quick lateral drawing practice. This also allows her the benefit of carrying quick drawing pepper spray, and the ability to carry a pistol big enough to bring down low flying aircraft. If the Zombie menace comes, she will be prepared.

She's very keen on keep it with her, in tight etc. No accommodation is perfect, but you do what you can. An uncomfortable setup is a setup that will soon be left in the drawer. Remember practice to the carry.

My wife is 5'3'' and 110lbs, and she carries a Ruger LCR AIWB in either a Sticky or Remora Clip holster. Obviously she can't wear tight tops, but it's very comfortable for her.

Back