CCW fanny pack

gbclarkson

I am looking for a CCW fanny pack for biking and canoeing when the weather warms up. Any advice on manufacturers to seek out or avoid?

gb,

Living in the tropics makes the waist-pack a reasonable alternative to IWB carry since many of the tourists also use waist-packs. I get mine from www.theconcealmentshop.com in Texas. Click on their "pistol pack" icon and you should see their selection in multiple colors and sizes of nylon and leather. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

I have a camelbak goblin. I like it a lot and doesn't scream CCW; instead it looks like the water pack it is intended to be

It's out of production so tracking one down may be a bit difficult.

Good Fanny Pack Alternative

I had been thinking about a Sneaky Pete for years...this winter I was in Ft. Lauderdale and wanted some carry method for the beach. I bought a fanny pack from Wilson Leather and it was terrific. It carried my Sig, sun glasses, and my wallet....worked for me.

guy with a gun

I see a male with a fanny pack, anywhere but on a trail, and it says to me...."guy with a gun". No matter who makes it, or what color .

I see a male with a fanny pack, anywhere but on a trail, and it says to me...."guy with a gun". No matter who makes it, or what color

I agree, with the two exceptions being Gay or a tourist. To my knowledge Galco came up with the first fanny back holster and it had two distinctively colored stripes. They then published full page ads in Guns & Ammo saying how discreet they were. :rolleyes:

IMO it's a good concept that's been over done.

I have set up fanny packs for folks I got mine a the GoodWill store. I used an inexpensive IWB or OWB holster and bolted it inside the fanny pack in one pocket so the gun and reloads would be seperate.

Comments about fanny-pack carry...

- Screams of a gun, unless you're female.
- Awkward to get to, especially if it isn't a perfect fit for the gun. Lots of flopping around and can get caught on the inside velcro attachments.
- It's akin to purse carrying (i.e. one of the first things the BG goes after).

Only fanny-pack carry when you have no options. If you are legally carrying, you always have better options than fanny-pack carry. Yes, I have fanny-pack carried on a few occasion. It didn't work for me.

My wife uses a DeSantis Gunny Sack (which is a fanny pack) for her LC9. It is pretty quick to get access, not as fast as an open top belt slide holster, but just as fast as a IWB holster with a tucked-in blouse.

I have a waist pack from REI I sometimes use while backpacking. I wear it in the front, like a fanny pack of sorts. Its not meant as a gun bag, but it has two large pockets, one in front of the other, and the one in the back is where I keep my pistol. Snacks, compass, gps, etc, go in the front.

More often than not, when backpacking, I usually just wear my normal holster, as I do when canoeing and kayaking. I wear a kayak vest in both, and they ride high, so it doesnt interfere with the holster/gun. I also wear a lanyard when on the water.

I dont know if I'd trust the fanny pack in the water if I fell out of the boat.

I have a hiker Fannypack that holds a water bottle on each side...
it screams Yuppie Hiker with Granola Bars inside...so I dress accordingly ;)
41hLEY3ekFL._SX425_.jpg

Funny part, I actually walked thru Disney security wearing it, had my keys in the front pouch,
opened the front for them, pulled out the keys, and they let me thru...
security never bothered to check the rear section, fortunately!

Update

I went with the 5.11 Select Carry Pistol Pouch. My Ruger LCR now accompanies me on long bike rides primarily for unchained doggie defense. So far, the 5.11 is light, well padded, comfortable and does not loosen, rotate, or rub raw while pedaling. But, it is small and leaves no extra room for a phone, wallet, keys, etc. Practice drawing with one hand, even while not on the bike, is slow and fumbling but that is a flaw with all fanny pack holsters. I chose black instead of a touristy color scheme so that, I assume, the "Guy with a gun" appearance is not as obvious. It probably looks like I have a wallet, keys and phone.

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.

Picked up an Anderson one several decades ago - still going strong. i use it when traveling as it fits nicely under my seat and i can carry into a hotel with my other baggage and not raise suspicion. Main section can hold my G26 plus a spare mag; other pockets could hold more.

Back