CCI small rifle primers

You think they change chemicals for different primers?
I don't.
Lots easier just to swap out strip brass and punches for different applications.

You think they change chemicals for different primers?
I don't.
Lots easier just to swap out strip brass and punches for different applications.

You're saying that all primers are the same mixture?

What evidence do you have to support your claim?

Federal used to plug their more sensitive basic lead styphnate priming - until they felt they had to get into the lead-free game - which I take to mean they are all the same mix.

Marketing being what it is, if the two were identical, I think they'd say so...lots of folks look for savings by using powders that cover multiple calibers, etc, and they'd turn to cci to be able to control inventory better.

Marketing being what it is, if the two were identical, I think they'd say so...lots of folks look for savings by using powders that cover multiple calibers, etc, and they'd turn to cci to be able to control inventory better.
Like with winchesters large pistol primers, which are marked "for standard or magnum loads"

Yes but …… CCI did say . Only issue is we have two members saying CCI told them the opposite to each other . There in lies the problem here .

I don’t know if they are the same, but I have interchanged standard SRP’s for either standard and magnum SPP’s in handguns without any issues. But, never the other way around.

Before calling one must understand the the question/s to ask . I believe you asked “are they the same” and with out pulling out the spec sheet the CCI employee said no . However when Unclenick called and the employee actually looked up the specs on there data sheet . They not only confirmed they are exactly the same but employees know this and interchange them .

I learned a long time ago don’t stop your inquiry just because you get the answer you wanted or expected. So what is the question to be asked and how deep a dive do we insist they go for the “full” answer ?

I have heard that CCI SRP's are pretty much the same as their SPP. I've occasionally used them as such and had no problems. The rumor I've heard is that CCI sort of admitted to that fact.

Anyone know more than that rumor?
If that were the case, their small rifle and small pistol primers would be labeled as such. I am not buying it, regardless of what the youtube videos claim and what the so-called experts say.

Before calling one must understand the the question/s to ask . I believe you asked “are they the same” and with out pulling out the spec sheet the CCI employee said no . However when Unclenick called and the employee actually looked up the specs on there data sheet . They not only confirmed they are exactly the same but employees know this and interchange them .

You pretend to know the details of my conversation with CCI? Wow. Just Wow.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 6:53 AM
To: cciexpert <cciexpert@VistaOutdoor.com>

Are your small pistol magnum primers (550) exactly the same as your small rifle standard primers (400)?

There is a rumor on the internet that they are the same primer, just in a different box. 

Thanks for your time.

---

cciexpert <cciexpert@vistaoutdoor.com>
Tue, Aug 16, 2016, 4:06 PM

They are not the same primer, there are differences in the primer and you should follow published loading data. The web has some very dangerous information on it and anything that you use should be published and tested data.

Justin M./Technical Service Rep.
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer
 (800)379-1732

-------

Tue, Aug 16, 2016, 7:24 PM
to cciexpert

Hi Justin, 

Thanks for the reply.

May I ask what the difference is?  More or less primer compound? Differences in primer compound mixture? Differences in thickness / hardness?

Any additional information you could provide would be very helpful.

cciexpert <cciexpert@vistaoutdoor.com>
Thu, Aug 18, 2016, 4:47 PM

Primer specifications are proprietary information and not available to the public. There is differences in the mix.

Justin M./Technical Service Rep.
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer
 (800)379-1732

Wow just wow ??? Seriously.

I asked you specifically what you asked the tech at CCI early in this thread and you ignored my question. You only now give more details then act like I’m some how misleading the thread . I still contend there is a conflict regardless of who asked what . CCI has CLEARLY giving answers that conflict with one another . You choose to only consider one of those answers , where I as a neutral observer must consider them both as well as who is saying it . I believe to this point in the thread I’ve not given any extra weight to either answer although I do have an opinion , would you like it ? :D

Back