CCI primer misfire issue

Most likely the primers were not seated all the way to the bottom of the cup. Primers should be seated below the base of the case to ensure they are all the way. .002 or .003" below.
This is especially important if the gun has been tuned(lighter than normal hammer spring).

I did put the two offenders back in the same pistol and they fired just fine.

Diagnostic of a high primer.

We have a zebra hunt going on here. As Unclenick says, the first attempt is seating the primer, the rehit is firing it.

When "supply chain issues" had me using every sort of small primer I had to keep my 9mm shooting, Federal and Winchester small rifle did just fine, but I had to hand seat the CCI BR4s hard to get them to go off reliably.

My first Dillon was a SDB. Fine for 9mm but it did not have enough leverage to fully seat a large pistol primer in .45 ACP every time, no matter how hard I leaned on it. I splurged on a S1050 that socks them in there.

(The 550B I now use for 9mm and other small primer rounds is marginal. My otherwise obsolete, flawed, and retired CH Autochamp had a better primer feed and seat setup.)

CCi Primer misfire issue

Somewhere in this discussion I neglected to point out that ALL of my hand loaded rounds are firing perfectly in other pistols-the issue is the pistol, and finally SAR agreed to have their gunsmith fix it.
My apologies if I caused any problems by not properly addressing the issue-it began because I had heard that CCI primers might be an issue on pistols that had been tuned for target, i.e. spring changing etc.
My CZ 97 E has no issues with any of my handloads.:cool:

I would still look at seating, as the fact some didn't fire initially still indicates some final seating by the firing pin. The other guns are pushing past it, perhaps with a little more firing pin protrusion. But you shouldn't have to rely on that. If you have some primers not fully seated, you will improve ignition consistency and often accuracy by getting them right.

SAR rebuilt the firing pin assembly with a new firing pin, pin block and whatever springs there are in the assembly. I will get it back tomorrow.:cool:

Back