CCI Blazer aluminum cased 9mm problems

I've fired a few boxes of Blazer aluminum case ammo in the past with no problems. Doesn't mean it can't happen though. I bought a couple of boxes of thier 38 Special 125 gr P+ HP's, and while I didn't chrono them, those things sure SEEM hot from the BOOM and recoil. Especially in a 642 airweight.

Last week my wife talked me into buying her a used police turn in Glock 17. :eek: :o ;) I was mildly surprised to see the two cases in the little envelope in the box were Blazer aluminum.

I guess even Glock wants to save a few bucks.

I had a CCI aluminum case rupture in their 155 gr 40 ammo.
It gas cut a pattern in the barrels chamber and the breech face of the slide ruining both.

CCI did not do anything about it other then tell me to send back the remainder of the ammo.

I was out the cost of a barrel and slide; if I could not have done the labor myself I would have been out that cost too.

CCI wanted me to send them the ruptured case but I decided to keep it in the shop.

I will not use any CCI aluminum case ammo in any of my guns ever again.

I will not use any CCI aluminum case ammo in any of my guns ever again.
I am with you Hunter Customs,my VP9 has scorch marks on the slide,breach and block but it all buffed out with a little effort.
As long as I get Magtech brass for $239 a case with free shipping there is not enough price difference to even think about aluminum anyway.

And to be fair,I don't think any ammo maker would offer covering repairs for your Sidearm because of a defective case/round because it is really hard to prove a manufacturers defect and then there is all the disclaimer crap in the fine print (wife is a product liability lawyer)

Last edited:
I'm surprised to hear about the problems.

The only issue I ever had was 357s in an S&W model 28. It locked up the cylinder. I suspected that the aluminum cases were not expanding the same as brass would and were getting driven back when fired. I stopped shooting them in revolvers due to that.

I've shot at least a few thousand rounds of CCI aluminium in 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP through a CZ-75B, CZ 40B and Colt CCO. No problems at all in those guns.

I still have some 9mm and 40S&W. I need to check the lot #s.

My only bad experience with aluminum cased ammo is with my M&P Shield, where it only wants to extract half the time when I use the new Federal aluminum ammo. Other than that, the Shield runs like an industrial sewing machine with any "normal" brass cased ammo.

My other handguns have no issue at all with the aluminum stuff.

I bought a case of this ammo because of all the good experiences and no issues you guys and people in other forums had. I just got a bad lot that CCI admittedly produced.
Check your Lot# if u still have some of it, that's the end of it for me.

Back