CCI Blazer aluminum cased 9mm problems

Maverick36

I have a HK VP9 and got through about 400 of these rounds with no hitch.Last week I had 2 Case failures and half of what was supposed to be muzzle flash came out sideways at the breach/extractor. CCI was contacted and they advised me to not shoot my remaining 12 boxes but send them back to them for replacement.
Lot# is K19V6

Wonder what caused the problem experienced. Bad cartridge cases, improper powder charge, to much powder, possibly both.

PHP:
Glad you were not injured. Good to see CCI is standing behind their product.

Thanks for you concern tekarra it was kinda scary and the RSO watched as it happened. He has never seen something like that

I talked to CCI/Speer today and they told me my ammo is on the range for testing as we spoke.
I asked them to replace it with Blazer BRASS since I'm now a little spooked about the aluminum cased ammo :eek:

PHP:
Wonder what caused the problem experienced.
Bad cartridge cases, improper powder charge, to much powder, possibly both.
All I know is that the case had a small burn hole close to the primer end and was split lengthwise all the way down

I had a number of split aluminum cases from Blazers bought 6-7 years ago. When I got a severe burn through, I quit shooting them and pulled the remainder to salvage the bullets.

I thought it was due to exposure to smoke and water in my house fire.
Maybe not.

Jim,
I won't jump to any conclusions, but if you know people using CCI aluminum cased feel free to share the Lot# I posted (its inside on the box tab)

Update from CCI

Message from CCI :

I have your ammunition back from testing, we also found split cases and had 1 primer with gas leak.

Glad they stand behind their product and tell the truth, but I will stay away from aluminum cased ammo .

I shot a lot of blazer aluminum in the past without problem, they used to be a quite a bit cheaper than brass target ammo. Mostly shot in revolvers, be interested to hear if they discover the problem.

Speaking of alum. cased ammunition problems,I experienced the following with CCI 9mm Makarov ammunition some years back.

Shooting was going along fine, the ammunition was certainly accurate enough. Suddenly, instead of Bang, I got Click. Re cocked,same results. Happened with 2 cartridges. Packaged the 2 dud rounds and including a brief note, mailed them to CCI. After a couple of weeks went by, they acknowledged receipt immediately, the following information arrived. Seemed that somehow, in the production process, the priming compound got separated from a couple of primer cups.The primer compound-less cups got into cartridge cases, and ended up in the ammunition I had purchased. CCI apologized, and sent a couple of boxes of ammunition under separate cover, I assume a better grade, which was about all they could do.

I did a lot of research before I ordered a case of CCI Blazer aluminum cased ammo and the reviews where 99% positive.
Talked to my guy at H&K in Germany and he,despite the caution about aluminum and steel cased ammo in the owners manual,recommended it and said that they use it too.
I guess I got a few bad ones,just like alan with his Makarov.
CCI will replace my 12 boxes + some extra for the shipping money I spent.
All in all bad ammo but good customer service.

I shot the 10mm blazer aluminum case through my glock & have never had a problem in 500-700 rounds I've put through it.

Must be firearm related. I've shot Blazers for years in Rugers w/o any problem at all.

Not firearm related ,just a bad Lot , as CCI admitted.

how much are you having to pay to ship back their mistake?

$18 UPS shipping for 12 boxes,so they better send me a couple extra boxes :)

Update

Got my replacement Ammo this week from CCI. They replaced my 12 boxes aluminum cased with 12 boxes (plus 3 extra for my shipping cost) Blazer Brass.
My first time using Blazer Brass and I have to say its clean.
I still prefer the Magtech for the same price,especially since they use the bigger boxes now and are not as tightly packed as before.

Well, based on your 'they better send me two more boxes to cover my shipping costs' statement, I would say that CCI was pretty stand up about the situation. 3 extra boxes for $18 shipping??? You made out; especially since they sent you brass case ammo. The brass itself is worth a few bucks since it is reloadable and saleable as once fired.

It kind of blows that they had a bad lot of ammo, but it happens from time to time with all of the manufacturers. Unlike the infamous AMERC; CCI did right by you.

Thank you for keeping us up to date with the situation! :) It helps the membership at large to know which companies stand by their products and customers vs. those who don't care.

Always liked CCI as a company.

Not a fan of the Alu. case stuff. Had a well worn Colt Police positive special. Brass case was never an issue. It took removing the cylinder along with a wooden dowel and hammer to remove the spent Aluminum cases.
Never again.

Can't complain about the customer service at CCI. Stuff happens and they made it right.
Justin at Speer/CCI kept me in the loop at all times.

Back