CC revolver questions.

FWIW, I have owned a few guns and carried some of them and IMHO the smaller and harder to use a gun is the more it's use should be left to the experts. Could I have done serious damage to an opponent with the Astra Cub in .22 Short that I once carried? Yep. Would I like something bigger and easier to use? Yep, but sometimes you need a special tool for a special purpose.

That given, your friend's best choice would be a 3-5" barrel .38 or .357, six- shot DA/SA revolver; if size is important and the smaller the better, he should go with a 3" barrel. Forget the concealed hammer; being able to see (and cock) the hammer is an important part of gun safety for a beginner. He should stick to .38 until he becomes familiar with the gun, then work into .357.

Jim

If you want a lightweight revolver with a hammer shroud for CC and you are not a VERY experienced shooter, then I would not go for a 357mag. unless you plan on only shooting 38spec. in it.

The S&W model 638 is a good choice for this type of CC piece and it won't beat you up when you shoot it.:) It is what I carry when I need something that I can slip in my pocket and not be noticed.

Don't need a grand for a CC revolver. More like $500. It's been said a coupe of times, but my pick is the Ruger LCR357 shooting 38+P Speer or Hornady.

my personal preference is for K frame S&W revolvers.

Me too. I'm a revolver guy. I shoot a lot of revolver - all double action. I'm accurate and shoot competitions with revolver (IDPA, ICORE, Steel).

But . .

I don't like 5-shot J-frame type revolvers. In my 33 years of shooting, I have never been able to take to a J-frame. I have a Model 60 (purchased new in 1984) and in all this time, I have never been able to shoot it well.

Moving up to a K-frame means getting a much easier gun to shoot (to me). Plus, they have a little more recoil softening weight; and of course, one more round of firepower.

A lot of people get a J-frame or LCR or the like, and end up finding out they can't shoot them well. The proof of this is their popularity on the used guns for sale websites - they're everywhere.

Another county heard from...

Your friend might want to look at his own situation and capabilities.

There is nothing wrong with a .38 spl revolver. It will probably see you through any situation he may find find himself. I believe he'll be better with one as he's already familiar with it and has a level of confidence in the gun, the round and himself.

Like everyone else I have an opinion, but having carried and depended on a .38 revolver for may years I share my opinion with a bit of real world experience.

I've carried either a Colt detective special or a S&W chief special, or a S&W bodyguard humpback or a model 10 3" as a personal gun or when working in civillian clothes. In the latter end of my career the department authorized what I consider the best ever personal carry .38 ever. The S&W 640.

Many people prefer the lightest little revolver for personal revolver carry. I personally dont agree. I believe that a heavier small revolver will serve best.

One thing I dont think anyone mentioned is tactics... fighting with a revolver requires different tactics than with an autoloader.

I would go with the Ruger LCR. It's designed for concealed carry, has a DA trigger and shrouded hammer, and is available in a wide range of calibers. I would personally go with the 9mm version since it's the most widely available and ammo prices are the lowest of all the calibers.
See the LCR here:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/lcr/models.html

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BmpQqtBAVc

There is nothing wrong with a revolver as a choice. I believe it's the best option for those who cannot or will not invest a lot time in practice and training. The only negative other than size/weight, is if you need to reload.

Last edited:
The shrouded hammer revolvers are usually going to be J-frame (5 shot) models. As has been said earlier firing 357 Magnum ammo in these can be a royal bear. He probably would not want to carry it after one range session. There are many good medium to heavy frame revolvers out there that will do the job much better. For a carry gun I would recommend a S&W K-frame .38 Special or 357 Magnum loaded with .38 Spec+P until he is confident enough to try the 357 Magnum ammo. Also if he chooses a S&W K-frame in 357 Magnum he should choose the heavier weight bullets to avoid the possibility of cracking the forcing cone. This has happened a few times in the blued models but I have not heard of it happening with the stainless models.

Revolver Choice

Sometimes we worry too much about caliber.

I used to obsess about such things, ( and it IS an interesting mental exercise ) but in the overall scheme of things, caliber does not matter much, especially if at least a couple of good hits can be obtained.

The most important thing when trouble arises is HAVE A GUN. ANY GUN.

There been many more people killed/raped/assaulted/robbed because they DID NOT HAVE A GUN, than because THE CALIBER OF THE GUN they defended themselves with WAS TOO SMALL.

Any caliber from .22 LR to .38 Special standard pressure will suffice for the non-enthusiast, and expert as well, because the ammo is cheaper and more comfortable to practice with to boot.

I am all for someone carrying as large a caliber as they want, as long as they can hit what they are shooting at most of the time at whatever their effective range is.

I suspect most people shot and effectively stopped around the world, both good and bad, were shot by other people with little or no training, with whatever handgun in whatever caliber they could buy, borrow, or steal, or were issued.

Last edited:
"Sometimes we worry too much about caliber."

I tend to agree. The machine can be shut down by draining the fluid quickly or turning off the computer. I personally won't go above a 9mm in a handgun, as you hit a point of diminishing returns with more negatives added in. Even a tiny .22 can be effective if the shooter can accurately place rounds on the heart & major artery or CNS. For a .22 pistol, the revolver is where the round belongs in my opinion. The failure to eject, load, and fire issues are largely mitigated.

I see people who think they "have" to shoot a large caliber, but they can't place hits. It's all about accuracy, accuracy, and speed.

I agree. That's why my HD preference is the CZ SP01 9mm. My second preference, the Beretta Inox .40 cal., is what I use because I can rack the slide much better. I love both guns. I have a weak, arthritic left hand and fingers. Sorry.......I realize that I got off track here.....lol.

Back