CC and water sports

addendum: Actually I did not suppose one would actually take a gun into the water because it might be needed THERE.
The problem I was referring to is that when you take a gun to the beach, you can hardly just leave it under your blanket while in the water...

Don't go in the water. There are things in there that you can't see and that will eat you. Avoid it.

tipoc

I switch to a knife for the beach and the main thing I'm concerned about are the sharks. Jaws might kill me but I'm going to stab him in the eyes a few times before I bleed out so he remembers me!

I carry as usual when I am stream fishing. On the boat I have a shelf that I put my gun on incase I am approached by some irradic disturbed boater or some other person while launching or retrieving the boat. As soon as possible I have my weapon back in my waste as I have been approached by some unsavory type people when I was strapping the boat down to the trailer.

James Bond epics aside, I have never heard of anyone being attacked while swimming by anything a handgun would stop. Maybe a .500 S&W would discourage a great white but I am pretty sure anything smaller would just make him mad.
Yeah, even Quint's M1 Garand didn't do much to Bruce, until Brody used it in conjunction with a munched on SCUBA tank.:D

I don't carry 24/7 or know anyone who does over a few decades. Some of use do keep a gun handy but not necessarily on us. I have three handgun safes around the house that are easily opened quickly. I sometimes lay a gun on a table next to my chair. However, despite the publicity, home invasions are a very low probability compared to ways you can die from much more mundane things like a fire, fall in the shower, etc.. Still I keep a gun handy.

For water sports it is easy. I buy bathing suits with waterproof pockets. I also have these small waterproof pouches that you can put in a bathing suite. Depending on how much room I have, I will either carry my NAA mini revolver which fits anywhere or a Ruger LCP. Of course that may not work in countries where everyone wears Speedos. :) Well maybe the mini revolver can be hidden.

You carry as you want. I live in the Yakima area and three weed shops are less then three blocks from me. Certain people will look to get funds any way that they can. My cabin is an hour from town. There is only one sheriff officer for two mountain passes and only one Forest Service law enforcement officer so one has to be prepared as much as one possibly can swimming, boating or fishing.

I kayak in an open style kayak. I have a .30 caliber ammo can that secures my wallet, phone, camera, knife, whistle, and handgun (and snacks and other essentials). The ammo can is kept sealed so it has air in it and will float. I also keep it on a lanyard to the kayak.

If I were at the beach I'd just carry a fanny pack or backpack with the pistol.

If I were to swim, I'd secure the gun somewhere safe. If I were really really concerned, I might vacuum seal a pocket pistol and secure it to my person in my shorts or somehow maybe in a buttoned cargo pocket. But that's going to an extreme level that I just likely will never do. I'd like to think I can relax gun-free while swimming...

Carring at the beach.

It was an incident at the beach that got me started. The whole family was playing in the sea when I saw a school of sharks playing shark grabass just off shore. That's when I decided to get a stainless 38 so I could shoot into the water near critters to scare them away.

It was an incident at the beach that got me started. The whole family was playing in the sea when I saw a school of sharks playing shark grabass just off shore. That's when I decided to get a stainless 38 so I could shoot into the water near critters to scare them away.

So... sharks respond to shooting into the water near them to scare them away? I doubt that a bang and a tiny bullet entering the water near them will have any impact...

If you know there are sharks in the water, then don't get in...

Back