Catostrophic failure

Shin-Tao

I have been toting an HP-22 Pheonix for almost 2 years as my CCWs' backup. It's such a thin pistol that I can conceal it with ease.
It has been accurate and reliable.

Now it is non-functional. The mainspring has bent itself into uselessness and the peice that would be a "guide rod" in a larger pistol is broken.

This happened the day after I received an extended barrel kit wich somehow didn't fit.

And it also seams that Pheonix Arms is one of those companies that hasn't heard of the internet. I can't find a web page anywhere.

1)How can I get replacement parts?

2)How can I get the new barrel to fit?

3)Do these failures mean the pistol is an official POS?

Good thing for you that you never actually had to use it! Throw it in the trash, and get a real gun, like a Glock 26, or a S&W snubby for a backup. Come on, a Phoenix? Have you fired more than 10 rounds thru it? Reliable? By what standard? Personally, I don't carry any gun unless I have fired over 500 rounds thru it, even a Glock.

Thank you gentlemen. Yes. Sage advice.

For the sake of argument, if I wasn't going to throw it away, but seek to repaire it, how would I go about it?

The Phoenix is fine for plinking but is not a durable, reliable, or desireable in the least for defense. If that is not all you can afford, I'd suggest you get something with a better track record.

Sexditto. Hm...;)

The Phoenix looked like a great gun, and the price was right,so I bought one. It showed wear before 50 rds had been put through it, and the multiple safeties were redundant and potentially dangerous. It is gone, gone, gone. The P-32 is so much better, I can't begin to describe it.

For a Spring - Wolf Springs are a good source... they can get you a spring for about ANY application.
For the guide rod? Keep an eye out on the local gun shows for the guys with the parts bins.

As you know I am not one to really be comfortable with a little .22 as a weapon. Now, if you could find a little .38 snubby with some wood boot grips and load it with magsafes...

I'll have to second (or is that 10th'ing) the comment about ditching the Phoenix and getting something like the Keltec P32. Not only do you have a more potent caliber, but you can actually buy parts. :)

I see someone rounded up a URL for you, I'd fix that gun and put it into it's proper role, plinker for the range.

Wear. It sure does, did, show an unusual amount of wear, which was very disappointing. The design looked good, but the metal isn't hard enough to last.

Phoenix

Sorry to hear of your failure. I have had the opposite experience with the my
HP-22, it has been a great gun for me, not a POS. It was purchased new in 1995. I will say, however, I would not depend on one for defense. I have fired thousands of rounds through mine, Stingers never fail, and I have broken it, the thin metal at the top of the frame cracked. It didn't cause a problem, but it bothered me. I sent it in for repair, and it came back a completely new pistol. The folks at Phoenix have always treated me great. I still have that gun as it was my first ever firearm.

I also had great luck with the Sigma .380 I owned. I must be in the minority when it comes to these guns as far as my experiences with them.

Tatters. How did you send it in for repare? Can you give the information for that? I can find these people.

And I would like to clarrify again. This was my CCWs back-up, not my CCW.

How to have it repaired? Send it to either Lorcin or Jennings and let them rebuild it for you. I'd REALLY suggest that you cut it up with a hacksaw, so that nobody else would ever have to deal with that piece of pot metal.

Back