Cat Problems

One of the clubs we used to be members of had a wild game dinner once a year, to help raise funds for the club and ranges.
Whoever had gone hunting brought what they had.
Once there was cougar meat included.
It tasted pretty much like any other game animal.
Depends more on the cook than the hunter.
Not bad at all.
But definitely not like a prime sirloin.
Kind of hard to beat a good cow.

My experience was at a cook-out party. All meats knowledgeably cooked. Venison, beef, javelina and cat. Quite a few folks were suspicious of the cat until after a small bite to taste-test.

Cat meat was the first empty platter. :)

Caught in the act, the animal can legally be killed in protection of livestock in MO. This has been done several times in the last few years as the "nonexistent" cougars have killed livestock in this state(Missouri).
If the cat is killed, call the local TV station before calling MDC. The bunny cops may snort and threaten but won't push the confrontation if publicity is on hand.

Definitely cougars in Missouri, as this map shows: http://www.cougarnet.org/totalus.html

A Class 1 confirmation is a body live or dead, photographs, or DNA from scat and such.

But to be considered an "established population" there has to be breeding pairs - and there's no evidence of that in Missouri. Likely they're all males that have been chased out of established areas by bigger/older males so they wander the country looking for non-existent females. Because of this there's a good chance any in one particular area won't stay long.

That green area is growing bigger by the year, it's really just a matter of time before they become established in the Midwest. Lots of deer for them to eat and habitat, they just need a few females to come keep the males company.

Here's an update on the response from the MDC.

First the MDC had a change of heart, I'm not sure why, but they did send two damage control agents to the farm that's losing the sheep.

They sent an area and district agent to the farm, to talk with the owners of the farm.
The agents informed the couple they had the right to protect their livestock no matter what.

The agents brought some snares with them , showed the couple how to use them and gave them a permit to use them.
However the snares are small, designed more for coyotes, the agents still don't want to believe a big cat could be doing this.

As a matter of fact the district agent tried to convince the couple that a coyote could clear the fence with an adult sheep if there was more then one coyote and they worked in unison.

Not sure exactly what he was thinking, but I know from years of observing and hunting coyotes that a coyote will not attempt going over a fence this high unless pushed to the point of desperation when trying to escape from pursuit, even then it's a last resort.

The agents did tell the couple that it is legal to have someone other then themselves to shoot or trap the animal or animals that's killing their livestock and to do whatever's necessary to protect their livestock.

Before talking with the couple and learning of the agents showing up at their farm, I had called the MDC to see what was legal for me to do.
I was informed by an agent of the MDC that I could legally act on behalf of the couple and shoot the animal or animals that's killing their livestock.

I was also told by the agent that any animals killed or trapped must be reported to and turned over to the county agent within 24 hours, as it is illegal to keep or possess the animals or parts from the animals.

So I'm going to go back to the farm, do some thorough scouting, see if I can find some good trails to set some lion snares and some places to try and do some calling from.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

But to be considered an "established population" there has to be breeding pairs - and there's no evidence of that in Missouri. Likely they're all males that have been chased out of established areas by bigger/older males so they wander the country looking for non-existent females. Because of this there's a good chance any in one particular area won't stay long.

I don't know if we have a breeding population but I have a neighbor who observed two half grown ones rolling around and wrestling with each other in a hay field.
He said he watched them for about 30 minutes, they were playing just like two kittens will play.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Bob, glad to hear that MDC'S has changed their stance from a couple years ago. Thanks for posting an update.

Now we need to see the picture of the dead kitty!

Hunter Customs said:
I don't know if we have a breeding population but I have a neighbor who observed two half grown ones rolling around and wrestling with each other in a hay field.
He said he watched them for about 30 minutes, they were playing just like two kittens will play.
That is interesting, someone really should set up a trail cam in that area if they have one, it's amazing what can be learned from them. It was through such trail cams (set up by deer hunters) and DNA samples taken by biologists that the cougar killed several years ago in Chicago was found to be the same one documented as having been in Wisconsin months earlier and its DNA linked it to populations in South Dakota where it likely originated.

It could be brothers from the same litter wandering together while looking for mates, I know other cat brothers (big and small) often stay together like that but not sure about cougars. It could also be that they weren't cougars at all, just regular domestic cats mistaken for cougars. I know it sounds crazy, but there's lots of documented cases of that happening, particularly with large breeds like Maine Coons. People misjudge distances, or other factors create an optical illusion that the cats are much bigger than they really are and it can fool even the most astute observer.

Wow, I'm surprised about the questions of legality when it comes to protecting livestock. Of course I'm from one of them big square western states. Here the laws, especially a lot of old ones still on the books, always favor the livestock. It's actually legal here to take a shot that may potentially put humans in danger if you are defending your livestock.

Thanks for the report Bob

It is nice to hear that MDC is softening their stance on the cats.:)

Based on your report (neighbor seeing young cats playing) and the cougar map link, I have no doubt that we have at least a few breeding pairs located in MO.

Hunter Customs said:
However the snares are small, designed more for coyotes, ...

Many a Mountain Lion are caught every year in coyote snares here in Wyoming. I even caught one of my own! Lions caught in snares are forfeited to the Game and Fish, so the trapper doesn't get to keep them.

Those snare will work great! Also, I suggest baiting an area with a dead sheep. Place snares ~ 1' off the ground in a circle. The cat will come back for his kill, get the wire around its neck!

The cat I caught in a snare was on a coyote set with a dead porcupine as bait.

Good trapping.

Back