Casualty at range, $100 loss.

It used to be that if you shot your Chrony you could send it back to them and they would sell you another one at a reduced price. We have shot two of them in the past but I didn't know that at the time so I just bought new ones.

I have a brand new one now I have never used. But its best if you set up a target to aim at and adjust the chrony so its absolutely below the barrel.

When I bought the first one I chronoed every thing I could at the house. Pellet guns and even my Wrist Rocket slingshot. My wrist rocket would shoot a 230gr round ball a very consistent 215fps. My air rifles would only vary by a couple of foot per second. I had a lot of fun with it. But after a while the thrill wore off.

I finally just decided bullet speeds were what they were and accuracy was more important. And whatever speed my bullet was going there wasn't a deer in the woods that could out run it.

Being an old firearms instructor and benchrest shooter, I don't dare to hit a chronograph, or would be laughed off the range! (So far, so good, but you never should say "never will".)

It would be great to attach a magnet to the bore sighter, so it could be attached to the outside of the barrel. I've seen pictures of a rifle fired with the boresighter still in the bore. It wasn't pretty!

One word: Labradar--you'll never give anything else a second thought after :D

I used the "tube" method taped in the notch for quite a while, but that didn't work out very well in the long run. I carry a bunch of Allen wrench for adjustment in my range bag--I eventually learned that laying one (the long ones for adjustable gas blocks are great) in the notch make an excellent aiming aid. All things being equal--the higher you can position the unit the better--especially if your target is uphill from your shooting position.

Last edited:
Back