Castle doctrine

When I draw my weapon, I also retreat and/or look for cover for myself and anyone with me.

How many occasions has this happened to you? I guess I've been lucky. Never had to draw and retreat or draw and fire.

I work in property management in the "murder capital of the east coast", Newark/Jersey city, New Jersey. My staff an I all carry and are surrounded by Bloods and Crips during our "tour of duty" as we call it. When we retreat from a situation it's either back to our SUV's or behind a parked vehicle. So far this is a monthly, sometimes weekly occurrence, and the tactics have been encouraged by both LEO's and the Newark &Jersey city's DA's office. The reason being is that no one wants the BG's lawyers to claim that we encouraged or were "looking for a gun fight".

Key words in the sections quoted, "during the nighttime..."

Doesn't apply to Horn's sad situation.

This is not so. Like the 2a, all hinges on the position of the comma. Read:

arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime;

since the Texas legislature chose to word it the way they did, had they wanted to say "burglary during the nighttime" they would have worded it that way.

All who want to comment on the recent changes in Texas laws should go to "TEXASCHLFORUM", there are any number of very clear explanations of the law, many by practicing lawyers as well as current LEOs.
It is likely the shooting will be nobilled by the grand jury, the DA is not very enthusiastic about it and the cop who observed the action did not choose to arrest the shooter.
The perps were criminal alien invaders, one was a convicted felon, both had false papers and they are suspected of being gang members.
Not any loss to society.:D

Back