Cast Iron Prep

Swampman---you have me with those questions! I have never tested hardness of the bullets that I cast; I have always used a good look at the barrel--and a cleaning--as the indicator.

You see, lots of people are (IMHO) operating under a misconception when it comes to lead bullets. You will see people using harder and harder alloys. This is a mistake. You want a relatively soft bullet. Why?

When a cast bullet is fired, it obturates--swages out--to fill the bore. This is what gives cast bullets outstanding accuracy potential. At the low pressures usually encountered on firing handguns, a hard cast bullet will not obturate, and hot gas will escape around the bullet. This will actually assist in the deposit of lead in the bore.

I have always used straight wheelweights for handgun bullets. They are not too hard but they work very well. For my BPCR, I have a limited amount of pure lead that I use for these bullets.

So would the Lyman #2 be too hard? I've seen lots of folks mention that particular alloy, either buying it or adding a touch of 50/50 bar solder to pure lead. They seem to be pleased with the results. It has also been suggested that straight COWWs seems to closely mimic this particular alloy, if they can be obtained.

I was thinking about getting some of that when I finally get ready to jump into all of this, unless I happen upon some pure lead, then I am fairly confident in my ability to work up the ratios and alloy it myself.

I am interested in casting for .45 Colt (255 grn SWC) and .38 special (158 grn, also SWC). I will need some pure lead, as I will also be casting balls for a black powder revolver.

It is my understanding that the hardening comes from the antimony, and the tin helps the alloy to fill out the mold?

What is really stinky is I used to live down the street from an el cheapo tire shop. I really should have hit them up for some weights when I first started considering this.

Methinks there are likely more folks out here in Parker County into this sort of thing than there were in East Dallas. Per capita, at least. Next time I'm visiting my old stomping grounds, I should pay them a visit.

For .45 Colt, and .38 Special there is no need for super hard alloy if they are being shot at normal levels. They have been making the lead bullets for them out of pure lead for over a hundred years. Most times they are swagged lead. Cast will have the lowest amount of tin they can use, and still get good fill out.

Size trumps hardness.

Right on.

I will not be hot rodding anything, as the .45s will be shot from a couple Cimarrons and a Rossi 92. The rifle can handle more, but I want to keep it to one load for both.

The .38s will be primarily for a .38 M&P from 1920. Serial number places it into the heat treating era, but I don't see any need to push any limits with it. I have a .357 if I want to express more authority.

Whilst having a Post-Thanksgiving family luncheon at Old Granny's house, I was admiring a planter during my 'twixt meal and bread pudding smoke. As my thoughts of late had turned to casting, it seemed like this might could be a good setup if'n one had the space. Just put the burner underneath.

Also felt a compulsion to reread Macbeth for some reason...

Back