Cast in the .30 U.S. Carbine

Don't waste money on gas checks, you won't need them at those velocities with powdercoated.

So here is my perspective on that. The alloy I am using is pretty ductile, and usually runs around a 10BHN. Granted I HAVE shot plenty of plain base bullets both with standard lube and PC'ed, most of those were from larger bored revolvers and rifles with a much softer kick in the pants to get started.

I used the GC's and PC'ed these due to running them through the rifle as I really didn't know what the loads were going to end up being, and really didn't want to be pulling it apart cleaning a bunch of gunk outta the gas port and such.

Turns out that the HP's wouldn't function properly in the rifle, but did fantastic outta the revolver. I'll possibly give no GC a try sometime in the future, but for now I have se real hundred already made up and ready to load. At the rate I've shot them over the past decade, I should be good till around 2050 or so.

I use my home-cast, powder coated, gas-checked bullets to keep my .30 M1 Carbine fed.

Before anyone asks, no I have never had a problem with cast bullet debris plugging the gas port hole. If it did, I would unscrew the gas plug and clean the hole out with a small wire... no Biggy.
00-2TVObsA_RjFZ1FzVZsfiy1e7Bpf7wJ44XV0TxD8xI-fODfVLCSoILF-VHzl6YB-AV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

The .30 Carbine is a great fun-gun.
00-2TVObsA_RjFZ1FzVZsfiy1e7Bpf7wJ44XV0TxD8xI-eX-fDR7YtcLNVfwjQms-pf

Have you looked for debris from the coating in the port and around the piston?
I have access to a supply of coated bullets and was wondering about the polymer coating getting into the gas system.

Back