cast bullets in 44mag, need load data help

You are pressing down with the seater, ....

No, you're not pressing down, with anything, you are pushing UP...

The die body is stationary. The seating stem is stationary, The bullet setting in the case mouth moves up as the ram is raised and stops when it contacts the seating stem.

Then as the ram continues its upward travel, the case is pushed up over stationary bullet until it reaches its full travel.

If the cases are the same length, and the bullets are the same length (from the point where they contact the seating stem to the crimp groove) AND the ram is operated the same distance every time, your results will be the same, every time.

Certainly should be. I don't know how the seater die was set up, but years ago, before I went to a separate crimping operation, I always put a charged, expanded, and flared case in the press and ran the ram up and turned the die body down until I felt the die's crimp shoulder stop on the case mouth, at which point I penciled a registration mark on the die thread and press. Then I withdrew the ram and set a bullet on the case, and alternated between lowering it and holding the die body from turning while I turned the seating stem in and running the round back up to seat the bullet deeper. I did this until the case mouth was over the middle of the crimp groove. Then I turned the whole die body in until the crimp formed. Next, a second bullet was seated and crimped to see if any further seating adjustment was needed. It sometimes was because seating and crimping all at once puts a little more stretching force on the press and also because, with a tapered crimp groove, I wanted the crimp near the top of the taper to get as much brass holding on as I could get, so I expected it to need some fine-tuning.

@44AMP: You're right. You are pushing up with the ram. That's an important correction and distinction in my narrative. Thanks for the observation. However, it makes no difference if the seater is stationary and the ram is moving, OR if the ram is stationary and the seater is moving. The compressive force on the bullet is identical. At the same time the cartridge case is resisting that force through the crimp. I've crumpled a lot of .44-40 cases while trying to do a heavy roll crimp.

In any case, the take-away for me is that it is better to do seating and crimping in two operations. I suppose? Yes? You and uncle nick are the experts (truly). And as forum member Professor Young says, "talk to me".

@langenc: You're correct. Certain slow powders shouldn't be reduced below starting loads.

I understand you should not work h110 down. The question is, where is start. General wisdom is start 23, max 24. But these seat deeper than the 240g xtp I am used to using. And I have my 240g xtp loaded at 22g without issue based off hornady data....

I loaded up 5 at 22.0, hopefully I can test a bit saturday.Saturday. will push up more when I have time

Last edited:
I've crumpled a lot of .44-40 cases while trying to do a heavy roll crimp.

While I don't load .44-40 (or .38-40) I do load .22 Hornet and I really understand the issues and special care needed with the very thin brass used in those cases.

And, when you have a special case like that, seating and crimping as separate steps IS a very good idea.

My point was about more normal cases (the OP is talking .44 Magnum here), where, if everything is done right, you can seat and crimp in one step without problems.

However, if everything isn't exactly "right" you WILL have issues, and doing it in separate steps where you have better "control" over things can be the best idea.

@Shadow9mm: Both of my lyman manuals (50 ed. & cast bullet) show 22.5 grains as a starting load for H110 and a 240 grain cast bullet. You should be fine. The problem I always had with H110 / W-W 296 was muzzle flash. The fireball was literally awesome and that was in a noonday bright Arizona sun. I can't imagine what it would be like at night. I figured that if I missed, I would at least set the target on fire. I have since switched to 2400 for magnum loads. The muzzle blast doesn't seem to be as bad. Anyway let us know about your loads.

@44AMP: I appreciate your wisdom. It's always good to share techniques.

Always had that problem with power pistol. Massive muzzle flash. Nothing noticeable at this point, but it is in a 20in rifle. Will have to try and get some low light shots next time I get down to my friends property.

44 AMP makes a very valid point. I use this practice because it makes it easier to pull my mistakes that are seated too deep. Dump the powder back in the measure and all set to try again. I use a four station Lee Turret press for this very reason. The Lee seating / crimp die is used for seating only. I use a Lee FCD to apply the final crimp. That way you can nail the cartridge overall length.

To me, the main issue with simul-crimping was shaving lead. If the bullet design had a long enough slope from the start of the crimp groove to the front edge of it, then all was good. If it wasn't long enough, then the case mouth could turn over just far enough to start shaving the lead as it slid into place. This would get worse if the bullet didn't start into the case perfectly straight. The resulting ring of shaved lead and lube, unless you remove it carefully (a sharpened toothpick works) accelerates lead build-up in the throat of a revolver and, while I haven't measured it,

It should be noted that crimping separately does not necessarily require a separate die. You just set up the seater to press the bullets into position without crimping on one pass, then back the seating stem out a couple of turns or whatever you need, adjust the body of the die to perform the crimp operation and run the cartridges back through it again.

The only issue I've ever had with that last approach is that if all is tight, seating the bullet compresses air inside the case and lubricated lead bullets take very little force to move them in the case, despite the brass case squeezing against them, so a few would slowly rise back up out of the case a little bit. The way I handled it was to crimp one that was still the right height and then, while the ram was up, moved the seating stem down again until it just made contact with the bullet nose. This way it would simul-crimp the last hundredth or two for bullets that had risen up that much, but not enough to initiate lead shaving that I ever noticed.

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

Shadow9mm said:
I understand you should not work h110 down. The question is, where is start. General wisdom is start 23, max 24. But these seat deeper than the 240g xtp I am used to using. And I have my 240g xtp loaded at 22g without issue based off hornady data....

You will likely be fine. The main issue is to avoid too much empty space in the case to prevent the squibbing phenomenon. Just stay alert to any shot that doesn't sound or feel quite normal and check the bore for a stuck bullet if you experience one.

H110/296 is a little funny with cast bullets as seating goes deeper. If you put, for example, a 300-grain bullet in, even 100% loading density only reaches pressure in the 28,000 psi range. Despite its weight, the heavy lubricated bullet still moves fast enough to open up the shorter powder column space by expansion faster than the powder makes gas initially, and it doesn't have to move as far to double the starting space, so peak pressure is diminished.

In your case, determine the seating depth:

Seating Depth = Case Length + Bullet Length - COL

Set your caliper to that length. Perch the back end of the caliper beam on the case mouth so the depth measuring stem is down in the case by the length of your seating depth. Add powder until it comes up to the stem tip and weigh the charge. This will be 100% loading density. Multiply that charge by 0.9 and call that the minimum. Some Hodgdon loads start a little below 90% loading density, but they aren't seated as deeply into the case as some cast bullets will go.

Back