Cast Bullet Accuracy?

From an old article by Col. Townsend Whelen:
"Mr. Rowland's target, which is reproduced here in the exact size from the original, was shot with a .32-40 breech-muzzle loading barrel made by H. M. Pope, in a Ballard action. It was shot from a machine rest, probably the Pope rest, in which the naked barrel is uniformly rested at the breech and close to the muzzle, the rifle being shot with its butt-stock on it, and the butt-plate being caught and braked by the hand after a short recoil travel."

Thank you for the correction about Rowland's target. I looked in the book but could not find that target. But the were several 200 groups shot off the bench that many
people would envy today.

Um, I may be wrong, but I don't believe this thread is in any way a comparison of cast bullet accuracy and jacketed bullet accuracy.

Don

The OP asked about cast in 38 Super, 45 ACP and 10 mm.

For all three of these, there is no reason that cast should be any less accurate than jacketed bullets.

For 45 ACP you should be able to go full power with tumble lube on a plain base bullets from 185 to 230 (I recommend white label 45-45-10).

Most 38 Super and 10mm guns can probably do okay with tumble lube for mild to mid range loads. My guess is that tumble lube is iffy for full power loads.

In the long run, Powder Coat (PC) cost less and performs better in full power loads than gas checks but is a bit more work.

I use the black airsoft BBs + HF red (no longer available) shaken in a plastic tub. I hand stack and cook for 15 minutes after reaching 350 °F. My PC coated bullets have given good performance with full power loads in 327 fed, 357 mag, 357 max, 357AR, 44 mag and 30 Herrett. I am right at 2 MOA with the 357AR, closer to 3 MOA in my contenders.

A lot of guys get their powder from a guy "Smoke 4320" at the Cast Boolit web site. He can also supply the AS BBs you need.

You can cast & lube using both solutions described above with low up front investment. Lee molds are good for starting out. Try you cast without sizing first. I use a push through sizer on most (but not all) of my cast bullets. Shop around in thrift stores for a cheap used toaster oven if you want to try PC.

The biggest hurdle faced by many casters is lead supply. A lot of sources of free or near free lead have gone dry or near dry. About all that is left for "free" now days seem to be the lucky guys that have a place where they can gather range scrap (if they are willing to do the not trivial work). Buying at a scrap yard is not terrible, but expect to pay $1 a pound or more (depending on quantity and local market variances). Mail order is also an option that is probably just a tad more than a local scrap yard.

Back