Cast Bullet Accuracy?

Swifty Morgan

The current ammo-hoarding craziness got me back into reloading, and that got me interested in casting. It looks like you can get infinite free bullets if you buy a mold and a cast iron skillet.

If I cast my own bullets, will I be able to get the same quality and accuracy as a company like Oregon Trail? I'm mainly thinking of .38 Super, .45 ACP, and 10mm.

Yes, with properly lubed or coated bullets and sized correctly you can obtain great accuracy. As with everything you’ll want to test different charges to see what works best with your gun(s). It’s an awesome hobby.

Swifty,

No reason why with some time and patience, you can be turning out some fine bullets. Also, there can be some additional benefits of you casting your own. One, you determine the alloy you use, not Oregon Trail. Two, you determine the bullet diameter, not Oregon Trail. And lastly, you can use a softer and better lube than Oregon Trail and the other commercial casters use. Good luck.

Don

My best group was a 60 grain gas check bullet of pure Linotype, 22 caliber out of a 22-250.
5 1/4" group for 14 shots @ 300 yards. That target was on the wall in my living room for years. Bullets were going 2700 fps.

It can be done.

David

This is a perhaps a very stupid question, but plenty was given to me so I'm going to ask. Shooting cast with gas checks out of a proper M1A Super? Would it harm the rifle?

Shooting cast with gas checks out of a proper M1A Super? Would it harm the rifle?
Rather than 50-50 or other conventional lube-in-grooves bullet lube, I suggest lubing with just the barest (greasy-fingers) coating of ALOX to keep the gas chamber pretty much spotless.
(Gas guns don't like plain-base and/or lube-spraying bullets)

Will they shoot in "Garand" type gas guns ?
Uuuuhh...... Yes.

M1 Garand:
Garand-311332-AA2495-sm.jpg

Impressive, mehavey! I have yet to explore the rifle cast bullet end of shooting, although I have a 247gr .30 caliber mold designed for the .300 Whisper/Blackout that I am dying to try for 1400fps loads in my .30-06 bolt gun.

Don

Back in the day, 44 mag with bullets cast of pure lino, 2400 powder, was able to shoot under 2" groups at 50 yards with a NM Super Black Hawk. Most accurate gun I ever owned. Too old to cast or shoot much .44 now days. When you cast your own you can control how perfect the bullets are, visually and weight wise. You can also control alloy, what type bullet lube, you can heat treat if you want.

Me too

I started casting again because I have a supply of lead and can save money from buying low velocity bullets for my .38 and .45. I wish there was a pencil sharpener jig to shave the base of a bullet so it would take a gas check.

Search gas check punches. You can make your own with soda cans.

Read up on powder painting. I haven't tried it yet but acquired a small stove for free during garbage day at a neighborhood where a renter had moved out.

Thanks mehavey. Casting/gas checks is uncharted territory for me. Literally have no idea what I would be doing. I have a smelter and molds for 00 buck shot shells/slugs, but rifle and pistol I haven't dipped my toe into yet.

Accuracy is there, but so long as lube is kept in check no undue harm or adverse tweaking to the gas system?

I guess I have time to look for free lead. My dad had a boat, and we had some lead downrigger weights. I gave the downrigger to Goodwill but kept maybe 35 pounds of lead.

45 ACP carbine.
ZUYVfMf.jpg

30-06 @ 50 yds. 170 gr. powder coated NOE 30 cal. XCB, gas checked and sized to .309" MV was chrono at 2295 fps. average over 5 shots.
8FhGwzo.jpg

7.62 x 54r
AVg5PpG.jpg

300 Savage.
IWRxyZ3.jpg

Last edited:
If your in an area inundated with sail boats, check around for lead keel weights. Might take some work, but one good one will last ya for a LONG time

I'd like to thank Swifty and all the guys who have responded to his post. Until now, the Bullet Casting part of this forum has been dead. Happy Pascha to all the Eastern Christians on the forum.

Don

Look up Harry Pope, he was a gunsmith and barrel maker.
Some of the records his barrels shot still can not be bested today.
W.C. Rowland shot a 0.721 group at 200 yards with a 32-40 rifle
made by Harry Pope, this was in 1901.
By the way he was standing, not sitting at a bench.

Last edited:
Back