Case prep centers

What about something like the press-mounted Dillon trim motors that use a sizing/trimming die? They size the brass which should standardize the head to shoulder length, and they also should be standardizing the shoulder to case mouth length, too, right? Seems that set up overcomes the problems described in posts above. I use the trim motor and sizing/trim dies for 223, 30-30, and 7.7x58 Japanese. Dillon makes the trim dies for 223 and 30-30 (and for many other calibers). Whidden Gunworks custom-made the trim die for use with the Dillon trimmer motor for me for the 7.7x58 Japanese. There are other companies that will custom make trimmer dies for use with the Dillon trimmer.

For 223 I sometimes will chamfer and deburr after the brass goes through the progressive press for the trimmer process. Sometimes I don't bother. For 7.7x58 Japanese, I loaded thousands of rounds without bother to ever chamfer and deburr. It does not seem to be any problem. For 30-30 I worry, perhaps unnecessarily, that chamfer and deburr will over work harden the very thin fragile necks of the 30-30 brass.

I don't think that debur and chamfer would work harden the necks. When we do that, we are simply removing material and not displacing it.

A number of people who use the Dillon and the shoulder-registered WFT, both of which make a flat cut, say they don't bother to chamfer or deburr because the cuts are so clean they don't feel they need to. I would not be sanguine about that for precision rifle loads, as I've seen the ring of shaved copper that sharp edge can scrape off a bullet. However, if you were to first use a Lyman M-die to put a step in the mouth for the bullet to sit in, plus a tiny bit of the flare used for cast bullets, that will dull the edge and seat the bullet straight and without shaving. A lot of people do that for precision because it eliminates most cartridge runout. However, it also does work the brass a bit.

Back