Case head failure twice in two months

I contacted the manufacturer today ad they are sending me shipping labels to send my remaining ammo back and will replace it with good ammo.

I live in NY so I'm not sure if it's legal for me to ship back without going through an FFL. Confusing and ambiguous laws in NY. I know some online retailers will ship direct to my house but others insist on mailing ammo to an FFL where I pay a $10.00 fee when I pick it up.

From their website:

Quote:

Quality Assurance
Ultramax 10 Step Quality Assurance System

1. Ultramax machine inspects all previously fired cartridge cases for flaws. Case inspection machines are fully automatic and perform several critical functions. All cases are probed for any foreign objects and pressure tested for cracks or dents. Spent primers are removed, flash holes are cleared of any foreign material, primer pockets are probed for flaws, and finally, primer pockets are reamed to insure compatibility with any new commercial primer.

2. Ultramax liquid washes all previously fired cartridge cases after they have been processed through the case inspection machines to insure the cases, primer pockets and flash holes are clean and devoid of any foreign material. All cases are then tumble dried to a high-luster finish.

3. Ultramax roll sizes all previously fired cartridge cases to meet S.A.A.M.I. specification on new cartridge cases. Roll Sizing is the only method available to insure that the previously fired cartridge cases are sized down to the rim of the case. This results in flawless functioning in semiautomatics and perfect chambering in revolvers.

Remanufactured ammo? 40 S&W with weak spot caused by Glock bulge from previous use?

Sounds like it would be easier to just use new brass.:rolleyes:

To the OP. have you fired any factory new loads in your gun and had this problem? Have you looked at factory new loads fired in your gun and seen any cases that were bulged?

Case inspection machines are still machines. Machines don't make mistakes, but they can't and won't do anything they've not been told to do.
Ultramax 180 FMJ supposedly runs at 920 FPS. Not exactly hot stuff, but I'd change ammo anyway.

Those cases don't look like they were blown out, they look like the heads were literally torn off, like a loading tool pulled the heads off. There is no sign of pressure release as there should be when a case lets go from high pressure (or any normal pressure) inside it.

Yet, a case torn apart that way should allow the pressure to go somewhere, and we see no sighs of that pressure. It looks to me as though the gun fired, the bullet left the barrel, the pressure dropped, then the extractor pulled the case apart on extraction. But that shouldn't happen; if the pressure has dropped, the front of the case would not be held to the chamber walls. Still, there is something here we are not seeing. More evidence, please, Watson.

Jim

Decided to add a separate post on this. Those cases look like some I have seen from folks playing with blowback designs and unlocked breeches. I will add no more on that, as it can get into areas I don't want to get into.

Jim

^^^^
What he said, plus there is no soot shown in the tear or around it.

Evidence in the photos indicate that the problem started after the firing sequence was over.

I'd really like to see them .
It reminds me of development of the HK P7. Originally the chamber was not grooved and the heads were torn off ! What they call positive extraction !! :D

Those cases look like some I have seen from folks playing with blowback designs and unlocked breeches. I will add no more on that, as it can get into areas I don't want to get into.

The PCC fad, mostly blowback 9mms, has generated some very strange brass. Had one here last week just shred the case and blow out the magazine, maybe some of the guts of the action, too. Don't know why not to get into it, though, unless you are an expert witness in a court case.

Update

I contacted the company and they were already aware of others experiencing the same problem. They were great and sent me a return shipping label to exchange the faulty ammo for brand new. Got my replacement ammo this week! Great service! I had saved the cases from the ammo that didn't have issues for reloading but concearned they will fail.

Back