Cartridge Rankings

Savage 99, I have a .243 99' Savage and it will not group better than about 6" at 100 yards with Federal ammo. Same with Winchester ammo. Remington it is a tack driver. If I do buy factory ammo, it is usually Remington. It is a misleading survey. How many shooters use Federal ammo out of the box anyway? The only Federal factory ammo I buy is 7-30 Waters (For a 99' Savage of course!) because nobody else makes the brass. I also buy Federal 12 Gauge slugs if that counts. It may depend what area you live in, but the "Green and yellow" boxes flew off the shelves around here when the run on ammo started.

Hey sorry to hear about your bad luck with the savage 99...I also have one in .243 but it likes all the conventional 100 grain sp ammo...and in fact remington has been my least favourite. I love that gun! I reload for it and the most accurate bullets so far have been 75 gr hornady flat base hollow points and speer 100 grain btsp. Never shot it from a proper rest for determining accuracy but if I do my part it easy holds and honest 2-3 inch group shooting from field positions with anything I run through it EXCEPT the really lightweights...it's not fond of 58 grain vmaxs unfortunately

Gunplummer,

It's not always the ammo thats the reason for inaccuracy.

I have seen rifles shoot well one day and not the next and it's the scope, mounts, bedding, guard screw tension, wind, aiming etc. or any combination of them.

Back