Cartridge for long commercial Mauser action?

Which cartridge?

• 25-06

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 280AI

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That Kimber does look like a remarkable rifle Taylor. Looks like it actually weighs 6.5 lbs from the specs I could find. If I were to buy an already made rifle without the intent of swapping barrels and is around 1K--if I didn't already have 280 AI I'd probably be seduced by a model77--which can be had right now for $1295

Last edited:
I suspect 7mag likes the idea of quick spin-off barrel changes, which is one of the things savages are known for. Now that I think about it--7mag could have his cake and eat it too, the 280AI and 25-06 could be set up in the same LA rifle (as well as many others, 6.5-284, 35 whelen, etc and so on) since they share the same bolt head. :D :D

Last edited:
@stagpanther

The Ruger African is a neat rifle, but about 8.5lbs plus when optics are added. The Kimber hunter is about a 6.5 lbs plus with optics. If std7mag wants a barrel nut Tikka or Savage is the way to go. There are companies offering barrel nut conversions for the Tikla now.

Hardwood axis 2 that I easily switch barrels to lots of different cartridges. It came in 25-06, but here it's wearing a 338-06. The stock is an excellent made-for-savage Boyds stock that I stripped the stain off of to highlight the yellow maple.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6067.jpg
    IMG_6067.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
That maple is sure good lookin'! I have always wanted a stock in tiger maple. But don't have the option of skipping a mortgage payment to do so... Lol

Have you come up with a plan for this long action Mauser??

Bornfighting,

The Mauser action went back to the person that "gave it to me".
He's getting senile in his old age! Lol

The overwhelming concensous on the poll was 280AI.
I'm looking now for another, non Mauser action for the build.

While i do like the ease of putting a barrel on a Savage, i don't like having several barrels for one action.
I'd end up wanting to grab one cartridge, and end up having the wrong barrel on.

Back