cartridge conversion cylinders

shieldslx

Inactive
Hi guys and gals. I have been a "gun nut" for years. Recently i acquired a pietta 1851 44 cal. After which i decided i wanted a cartridge conversion, but was not too inclined to pay more for it than the cost of my pistol. I decided to make my own. I have a cnc business that i make custom parts for local(central ky) factories and have worked extensively with parts for lockheed and BAE systems and im a mechanical engineer. It now shoots 45 long colts and is a blast. I even made one for my brother. My question is if there is a market for these at app. 140$ ea. I would love to break into it. Just asking your opinions. Thanks.

Last edited:
$140 sounds very reasonable. What sort of conversion is it? Single firing pin and loading gate like the Kirst, or individual firing pins without a gate more like the R&D or Howell's? Could there be a patent issue or is your conversion a totally new concept?

Its really a mix. It has a single pin but no gat. One could be incorperated easily enough. Patent is not an issue. Conversion cylinders have been around for 140 years, and mine is not a blstent copy of any of the major brands.

i would say you bet at 140.00
the old kirsts didnt come with a loading gate . i added one on my 36 cal uberti 1851 so it shoots 38 cal long colt . myself i dont care for the R&D type converssion and prefer them Richards.
i also plan on converting my Pietta 1860 to 45 long colt in the near future

I don't think I would prefer an R&D type on a colt clone either, but definitely prefer them on a remmy clone.

Shieldslx do you have a picture of your conversion?

its really hard to violate the patent now. really. The new "patents" are copies of the originals made in 1870. and its hard to say you arent copying the conversion cylinder that a mexican gunsmith made in mexico n 1870..

Hope you have considered liability insurance in your desire to sell. At 140 or even 180, you probably would have a hard time keeping up with demand

YOU BET!!

Let us know when you're ready for production!

Per noelf2 request, would like to see photo as well - can you post?

I doubt the OP could do it for $140 or even $180 per cylinder and have the quality of either Kirst or R&D.

We are a very small market and should support those who support us. For the amount of engineering, machinery, insurance, rent, marketing and labor that goes into a Kirst gated conversion cylinder, I'm surprised he sells them at such a reasonable price.

I don't work for either Kirst or R&D, but I do own a small business and know what it costs to put out an American made product in a limited market.

Good afternoon all.
I just wanted to say sorry for not getting back sooner. I got a chance to go see some of my products work for uncle Sam at the testing grounds in Maryland and I Just got back last night. I have been very busy putting together a website that will be running by the end of the day, maybe tomorrow. You will be able to see some pics and make an order if you like. My business cell # will be on there and yo can contact me if you like. I will be posting it as soon as it comes online. Thanks for all the feedback and I hope you have a great day.

If you want to do .36 conversion cylinders too, I will loan you 2 different .36 caliber pistols for measuring/fitting.

An Asm 1861 navy, and a pietta .36 caliber sherif's model.

That will give you 2 different manufacturers to see if there is any difference in the geometry of the cylinders.

You going to do one for the pietta 1860 in 45 LC/Schofield ?

3 day shipping is being listed so I would expect by this weekend someone will be posting a review on here

Back