Carrying while ocean kayaking

So what caliber makes the best shark medicine?

The above was my thoughts exactly.:D
I've never done any kayaking but the kayaks I've seen were not very big compared to the size of some of the fish that I assume may be in those waters.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Hard plastic case like a pelican or otter box lashed to deck would be my choice for the water. A lanyard linking gun to box interior would also be a good move.

Separate holster for land.

Snap-shut lid will provide far quicker access and better protection than a dry bag.

I've never done any kayaking but the kayaks I've seen were not very big compared to the size of some of the fish that I assume may be in those waters.

I know that is at least partially tongue in cheek, but I have never been threatened by an aquatic creature. I have seen sharks go under my kayak, but they ignored me. Lots of alligators in the fresh waters around here, and although I keep an eye on them none have made any threatening move. Dolphins and manatees are often quite curious about the quiet little boats; my wife and I have had dolphins come in between our boats and make eye contact, and my wife sat still enough to have a manatee stick her head out of the water and sniff my wife thoroughly.

Predators don't want a fight - they want lunch - and kayaks are big enough that they don't seem to want to try them out to see if they will fight back. There are lots of smaller, easier prey out there. White water kayaks are much smaller, for maneuverability, than ocean kayaks, or even commonly used recreational kayaks. Ours are eleven and a half feet, and serious cruising kayaks go quite a bit longer.

Caliber for a shark? A bang stick makes a 12-gauge shell into a contact weapon; that is about the only thing I would consider reliable on a shark big enough to cause a kayak or its occupant a problem.

I'm going to repost my response to a similar thread about carrying while biking. I'm a Miami Florida native. I beach, bike, hike, kayak, and all that fun stuff.

When I bike, hike, jog, kayak, etc. I have my Glock 19 on me. Usually appendix. Never been an issue and been almost a decade.

Since you're talking LCP sized, I'd recommend a Glock 42 (.380ACP) or 43 (9mm). I had a co-worker who would carry an LCP in his pocket and it began to rust all over the slide. Months went by and he said "screw it" and got a LC9 that he carried appendix as well. In about a month and 700 rounds later, he had rust all over the LC9 as well.

Glock has some wizardly magic going on with their finish along with being polymer too, of course. I've had 1911s and SIGs rust like you wouldn't believe. I'm not a fan of Ruger and never have been. But seeing my co-workers guns do that sure didn't help much.

What I will add specifically to your question though, is that if you're going to go into the water waist high or so to push / dock the kayak, keep a plastic bag in your shirt pocket or something.

Glock.
Or Hi-point for the limited loss and great warranty aspect.
On your person would be best. Just rinse and oil when possible. If you can't conceal b/c of clothing or other issues...
If a sit on top a drybox/bag between your legs lashed to the boat or yourself.
If a cockpit, fasten a holster to the underside of the cockpit.

Pelican boxes are designed to withstand high pressure and getting really beat up in rapids. I wouldn't bother with one for a pistol. It should be able to handle either. Drybags are much cheaper.

I wonder if a G42 will fit in a wide mouth nalgene bottle.
That could prove effective
Probably not.

Last edited:
For those suggesting hi points... I understand the concept and I did have a hi point for that very reason when they were 120 bucks. Now you can pick up an lcp for not much more money and it would likely be much handier for kayaking. Of course the hi point could always double as an anchor :D

Now you can pick up an lcp for not much more money and it would likely be much handier for kayaking.
Ruger has great CS and stands behind their product to a greater degree than most companies. Hi-point does better though. I have never heard of them not replacing a gun. Even if damaged by blatant neglect or intentional modification. Heck, they even replaced the youtube torture test pistol that was fired with a full case of whatever powder(multiple load) and a bolt c-clamped into the barrel as an obstruction. Fully knowing how the gun was damaged. That wasn't just PR either, they have replaced other guns after similarly stupid acts resulted in catastrophic damage.

Hi-points are still available at around $150 in my area. 30% below the LCP price.
I won't agree with you, but I will admit it is very debatable and I wouldn't say you are a fool for holding that position.

I'm thinking stainless steel near salt water. An inexpensive 5-7 shot stainless revolver .357/.38, like a Taurus, Rossi or Charter Arms, would do the job. And if it sinks to the bottom of the sea, no big deal. I've never ocean kayaked, but have canoed and boated on fresh water lakes and rivers a good bit over the years. Unless your kayaking in Alaska, or prime black bear country, it would seem your biggest concern, outside of bad weather, would be from human predators (or perhaps packs of feral dogs), while camping or resting on the beach.

Good folks relaxing on a beach, tend to have their guard down. There is a class of criminals who thrive on stealing cameras, cell phones, watches and other valuables from unsuspecting tourists and travelers.

A good dry bag, stainless steel, and immediate cleaning of the firearm upon return home are the way I'd go. Just my 2 cents.

I'm thinking stainless steel near salt water.
I used to love stainless ten years ago. I thought it was amazing. Then I moved to hardchrome. Then I bought an AR with a nitrided barrel about 5 years ago. Better utilitarian characteristics than stainless or chrome and without all the shiny bling. If done on an industrial scale by original manufacturer it doesn't cost much more than blueing either.
http://www.charterarms.com/collections/nitride/products/69920-9-mm-pitbull-nitride-finish

I don't get what the point is of securing a firearm in a ziplock bag or dry bag, tying it to a floatie and stowing it in a canoe or kayak? There's no chance of deploying that firearm in anything less than several minutes if you are suddenly attacked by.....????? someone in a motor boat? There's no chance of an animal attack in the inter coastal waterway. Let me put it this way, I've been kayaking and canoeing many many times and I just leave the gun home.

I don't get what the point is of securing a firearm in a ziplock bag or dry bag, tying it to a floatie and stowing it in a canoe or kayak? There's no chance of deploying that firearm in anything less than several minutes if you are suddenly attacked by.....????? someone in a motor boat? There's no chance of an animal attack in the inter coastal waterway. Let me put it this way, I've been kayaking and canoeing many many times and I just leave the gun home.

I don't think the concern is while in the water. When I used to camp in very isolated areas, my concern, was always while camping or resting on the shore. If you are in a very isolated area, 911 is not a viable option.

To have in the commute to and from the location.

To have in case of any stops to eat or use the restroom.

To have just like any other time in general.

To have on your person instead of in the car where it could be stolen.

To have after you're docking and going back to the car.

Skans, it was after a couple of incidents on the water that I decided to start carrying a concealed handgun. The chances of needing a gun is small whether on the water or the street, but the consequences of needing one and not having one is not.

If I were kayaking on intercoastal waterway, I would carry a handgun in a small waterproof case.

Ok, KMac, I buy that. In that case, I'd go with a dry box and tie it off to the Kayak separately. That's what I used for anything electronic.

Skans, it is not uncommon to launch a kayak from a pretty lonely site, and then to return to the site several hours later approaching from a low position in the water without knowing or being able to see who or what is waiting in the brush, behind a tree, or hanging around your car. I like having my pistol on me at launch and, especially, recovery.

Re revolvers: It's pretty easy to hose out a fairly open semi like a Glock if it gets dunked or seriously splashed. Pulling the side plate and thoroughly cleaning a revolver after a dunking is not a job I would look forward to. Maybe that's just me.

Buy Glock 19
Buy kydex holster
Buy lanyard
Assemble
Oil
Shoot monthly
Re-oil
Ignore any rust

Toss in trash when so rusted it seems unsafe due to loss of thickness.

Throw away and repeat.

Being retired and living in Florida I do a lot of fishing. Mostly from my bass boat but a little beach or wade fishing. I carry a Glock 34 whatever fishing I'm doing. I just carry normally either on the boat or under my loose fitting fishing shirts. Since I'm only out for the day, I don't worry about the conditions at all. I simply clean the gun whenever I get home and that's about it. It may get messy,wet, dirty, etc. but it only for a day. It has been dunked on several occasions but always cleans up nice. I carry the Glock since I have it and for the capacity. My biggest concern is like yours wherein I leave and return to launch ramps very early and late in low light and from remote launch areas. Folks can be waiting for you and help is not around and they may be armed. I also want more ammo on board (17 shot mag) just in case of a small firefight with multiple people at those remote ramps. Remember, these people may put up more of a fight since they know help is not close and cell phone access may be limited. The cops aren't on the way. No altercations yet but several nervous incidents wwith questionable characters at the ramp area in the dark. I open carry when approaching ramp from water since we can when fishing is Florida.

Guess my maintenance theory is sort of like the Coast Guard. They carry weapons all day, everyday and just maintain them properly. My Glock my look a little worse for wear & tear but no rust that wasn't cleaned up quickly. A scratch early in the day may leave surface rust by end of day. A light sanding and touch-up of the spot and things are good to go. Another things about Coast Guard, check your state regulations concerning carrying weapons aboard your vessel. May not be the same as on-land regulations, especially for "outer islands"

... Larry S.

Back