Carrying while hunting...Any point?

I carried in NY just on the off chance that I might get an acceptable shot and be able to take a deer with my Glock 33. (5.3” extended barrel for those who know NY law) Never happened.
I also carried for the much more likely reason that I might need to dispatch a wounded animal and better a $0.25 pistol round than a $2 rifle round. Never happened.

Now I carry in CO on the off chance of meeting an unfriendly bear. Better, in my estimation, to have 10 rounds of .357sig than 1 or 2 from whatever rifle. Also, likely to never happened.

I guess, really, I carry just for the hell of it.

I forgot to mention an incident I had, because the thread asked about hunting, and what happened in my case was a fishing outing.

i won't relate the entire story here, but the short version is that my brother and I were out for a day of fishing when a feral dog attempted to attack us, or at least my brother who happened to be closer. I shot the dog twice, killing it. Game & fish collected the carcass and later informed me that the dog had been rabid, which probably accounted for its strange behavior just prior to its lunge towards us. What might have happened if I hadn't been armed that day, is unknowable, but I've never been more glad that I bothered to put on that holster that day.

I always carry a handgun while hunting, where ever the law allows.
#1 not every dangerous thing in the woods walks on four legs.
#2 finishing shot(s) on big game
#3 its relatively easy to get separated from your rifle or shotgun. A holstered handgun is more likely to be within reach.

Some of my hunting is done with single shots. A repeating handgun is a comforting backup.

While small game hunting the other day I had the thought, "Why am I carrying my pistol with me when I have a 12ga. shotgun already in my hands?"...What are your thoughts?...

There are lots of things that can happen while hunting that necessitate setting a "long gun" aside. Having a "short gun" on the belt, at all times, seems reasonable. :)

When I am in the woods/range/outdoors (away from people--not the beach) I have the appropriate side arm for the environment... Snakes..small caliber 32 with shot...Wolves/coyotes/pig-- mid cal CZ 75 9mm ... Bears--- Giant Model 29 Revolver 44 mag

Here on the micro ranch...feral cats, skunks, and possums... Walther PPK 32 daily

hell the thing is proly rusted up I use it so rarely...note to self...clean the dirty carry gun tonight.....grinn.... now where is my gallon of Hoppes

I carry everywhere I legally can. Hunting, fishing, camping, grabbing milk from the store, mowing the lawn, going to the bathroom, etc.

While out in the woods, I'm not really worried about four legged critters so much as the two legged kind. I have had a few worrisome moments with less the upstanding citizens while out in the boonies camping or taking a drive on the old two tracks.

When hunting, I usually carry my .41 Mag or .45 Colt Blackhawk with homemade shot shells in a couple chambers for grouse and rabbits, which aren't legal to take with a centerfire or muzzleloader.

I carry. Glock 20 10mm OWB with an 870 w/birdshot in the tube and slugs on the side. I love the 10mm. Good capacity for a minute of defense against 2 legged mammals. Strong enough for bear. If I have time, got the slugs but eh not realistic. Still bring them.

I always have my Smith J frame in my pocket. See no reason to take it out to go bird hunting.

Rifle hunting is a different matter. I found it useful for dispatching snakes or picking up small game for the camp pot.

While small game hunting the other day I had the thought, "Why am I carrying my pistol with me when I have a 12ga. shotgun already in my hands?"

Compared to the shotgun, the pistol is far more inconvenient to get to than the long gun and has less range. I guess the main deciding factor would be if the average game 5-7.5 shot load is adequate for self defense at or within the choke pattern's ideal distance.

What are your thoughts? Are game loads an adequate defense round? Do you carry a sidearm while hunting?

In case you get charged by a bear, you can throw down your shotgun and grab your heater! I hear all the time about guy's using that of protection from pot farmer's or general bad guy's. I would not carry a handgun for those reason's, the rifle is better insurance. I have seldom ever carried a handgun hunting, just the rifle of shotgun should do the trick on whatever pop's up! That said, now and then I'll carry along a 22 handgun or my 32 long, cast bullet's, for plinking at whatever, rabbit's ect. But keep in mind, you fire off a handgun round, even a 22 RF and you tell whatever game your looking for your in the area!

A shotgun loaded as suggested is about as good as throwing a rock at a bear. Well, maybe not quite as bad. I'd imagine the bear would become enraged for certain once shot with birdshot. I'd take about any handgun over birdshot vs a bear.

I never found it all that comfortable totting a extra hog leg in the bush when hunting. Only once did I carry when hunting "light" years ago. 50 yrs later >Today?
If some other feels the need to carry a hand gun for personal protection from his fellow hunters when totting a long barrel also.

Don't bother to stop and ask for permission to hunt on my property. "I got no time for paranoid individuals wanting to roam about in my woods."

Last edited:
Sure Shot, the OP is carrying a double barrel loaded with small bird shot. It's been a long time since we had a pack of aggressive feral dogs roaming this area, but they're not unheard of. I wouldn't automatically assume a guy is paranoid for wanting a sidearm. If he don't mind the weight and obeys the laws he can carry a dozen guns for all I care.

I always carried my concealed handgun when hunting. A $1000 dollar rifle, or what might be perceived as a $1000 dollar rifle, could be plenty tempting to a robber.
I’ve had to shoot an aggressive feral dog encountered in the woods before.
Also, I’ve just plain taken an animal with a pistol just because the opportunity presented itself. The intent is as personal protection just as when not hunting, the presence of a rifle doesn’t change that.

Back