Carrying to and from work.

Hi, Tucker,

Glad you got off to a good start and it sounds like most of your questions have been answered. There is nothing wrong with asking questions; but you have to ask them of the right people. There is a lot of difference between a security guard and a sworn, full time officer when it comes to the rules on carrying, what and where. Sometimes, private guards have gotten into trouble when they went too far and no one wants that kind of problem.

So good luck, and now relax a little and enjoy the new job.

Jim

I guess I got to this one a little late and it looks like the question has been answered but I'm going to give my two cents anyway.

I've been a security guard for almost 10 years and it's been my experience that I'm better off not making any stops on my way to or from work period.

The uniform just seemed to draw too much attention so I just don't do it whether or not I'm armed

I have nothing to contribute to the conversation, but would like to welcome the OP to TFL.

And I'd also like to say "Thank you, Lord, that You've allowed me to live where I live." I carry everywhere and (essentially) NEVER have to question whether or not I'm carrying lawfully.

Moonglum, you are spot on.

Well, if you're a 22 year veteran than by now you've must've seen some crappy arrests. No? Don't blame the state; blame the officer who decided to use his discretion in a way that was hurtful to a regular working man. After all, with decisions like that, aren't we the worst producers of our own PR?

Some sworn Officers do not like Security Officers, and show it by responding slowly! On a 911 call for help.

In working for my Sons Company, just FRI/SAT/SUN nights, gated Community, for a year or so, I met a few Orange County Deputy's. Most a bit snooty.

One incident was kind of different. A Sunday afternoon, a sort of domestic, but from two different family's. We had radios, but had more success with our I phones. Call from gate house, from a home owner "He has a machete?" and not too clear, Police now on scene.

I arrived on scene, two female Deputy's, two cars, two home owners? Talking to one Deputy. One deputy standing back, closer to street (Cul-de-sac) one standing close to both men. I drove in to no exit Street, turned around came back down, very Officious Deputy "We have this" OK I said, but just drove to the main Street, put me just under 10m from the constantly moving two men, and Deputy, not big movements, sort of half steps.

One of these men was supposed to have a machete? Down his track pants?

I was carrying my Match Glock 19, in a speed Kydex holster. Now secure one!

The one near the street, still standing back, Lady in doorway, started to come down the path! "Mam, stay back" with hand up, now between the two men! I was out of my mind, and moved a little, left to right, to keep her out of my line of fire!

Anyhow, all ended well.

Move on a few weeks, met this same Deputy at the Sheriffs Office, she recognized me, and spoke to me.

"Do you recognize me?" "Vaguely" I said. She refreshed my memory (I was old then too!)

"You were ready to shoot where you not?" I am ex Army she said, my Young Partner was not on the same page! But thank you, for backing me up. And she shook my hand. I think drink was involved. Started over dogs?

Strange business, this Security.

H.W. French Yup lol. I have my XD 40. but they require that we all carry 9mm. Something to do with all of us being able to use the same ammo. I decided on the Beretta 92fs Brigadier. Beautiful weapon.

An other wee glitch, we can not arrest as Security Officers.

But listen to this, "We can detain till a Police Officer arrives?" So I have a teen sitting on the kerb, hands cuffed in front.

Now my cuffs are S&W, with the body yellow polymer! First thought, when you do this transfer, the Police Officer does not want my cuffs!

So the young guy says the cops always cuff behind your back! I pulled my spare mag, I only carry one, a G17. "What is this" pointing at the top round.
He said a bullet? No said I, it is a cartridge. Just the copper bit in the front, that's the bullet, it comes out of my Glock at over a thousand feet a second.

"So, can you run faster than that?" He said no.
"That's why you are handcuffed at the front" I said.

The Cop was close to end of shift, so he let him go anyway.

Trespass is no big deal in most cases in that job, anyway.

Most cops won't bother a uniformed guard unless they're doing something idiotic.

But again, California...so if it's near San Fran or one of the big liberal cities...
about the only thing I'd do is fuel up & keep rolling.

I had fun riding a motorcycle to work in full gear...
even used a big white fairing on the front of the bike with black saddlebags...
it was amazing how many people would do a "double-take"
instead of pulling out in front of me...
but nowadays, they're just as likely to Intentionally pull out & crash you as not.
Sad state of affairs...

And if you think about those three cops that got run into at a gas station
the other night, even less fun...scumbags are targetting cops,
eventually, the citizenry are going to start targeting the scumbags again...
just like during the Cocaine Wars...likely get the same results.

I did notice that III'r who torched the Mosque where the Miami shooter went.
Look for more of the same to occur as things get worse...as lawlessness rules,
the patriots tend to start coming out and putting things right...
and the average LEO pretty much lets it slide as long as the
helpful citizen is SMART about it.
But if they're dumb, they get hung out to dry, same as any other crook.

I am retired Law Enforcement and have very mixed feelings about private security. Having taught the courses required at the College level to qualify for the Reserve Officer program I encountered many security employees working to advance themselves into a sworn police position, then there were others who were interested only in a Badge, Uniform and Firearm to impress the public. The levels of effort put forth in classroom study were represenative of those groupings and later in those who made it into police service and those who did not.
I also taught a firearms class for security guards one summer, at the conclusion of the two day course i prayed none of them would shoot someone before their next certification a year later ( and not given by me). I may be biased but that particular group of folks, although showing compentcy with the firearm, lacked the common sense to make correct decisions. I guess i would just bunch them iinto a "scary lot".

Ibmikey said:
I am retired Law Enforcement and have very mixed feelings about private security. Having taught the courses required at the College level to qualify for the Reserve Officer program I encountered many security employees working to advance themselves into a sworn police position, then there were others who were interested only in a Badge, Uniform and Firearm to impress the public. The levels of effort put forth in classroom study were represenative of those groupings and later in those who made it into police service and those who did not.
I also taught a firearms class for security guards one summer, at the conclusion of the two day course i prayed none of them would shoot someone before their next certification a year later ( and not given by me). I may be biased but that particular group of folks, although showing compentcy with the firearm, lacked the common sense to make correct decisions. I guess i would just bunch them iinto a "scary lot".

The interesting things about this post is that it makes absolutely no atempt to answer the OP's question. In fact it looks like the poster simply resurrected an old thread to take advantage of an opportunity to bash a mall cop. Is that really necessary ?

Last edited:
Moon, If an apology is in order it would be cheerfully given for I , as you indicated, completely lost the OP's initial question while floating away in nostalgia. I did not attempt to demean any person or vocation, many of my students became sworn officers as I indicated.
To respond to the initial question the quoted code was valid when I lived in California but that was twelve years ago. At that time I would suggest to persons working as security officers to secure the weapon prior to the trip home if any kind of a stop was intended, including gas. The code is subject to an Officer's discretion should the off duty Security person become involved in an incident while a detour for other business was taken.
With the attitudes of the political system in that state I should think locking the pistol (preferably unloaded) in a container prior to driving home would be most prudent. Actually changing to street clothing would also be in the best interest of the individual while traveling to and from work.

Last edited:
Carrying to and from work

In California, use their liberal gun control laws before you get to your assignment! Outside your jurisdiction, you would have to have a concealed carry license. Tough state to use your constitutional rights!

Ibemikey said:
Actually changing to street clothing would also be in the best interest of the individual while traveling to and from work.

This doesn't quite fit the OP's question but I always take a plain 2x shirt to work with me for just that reason. I walk out the door at work and throw it on

Back