Carrying saddle- & western guns, anyone?

HunterCustoms, good lookin' rig...and it would appear that that holster and Smith would be far enough back to keep out of your off-leg. Why not carry on the belt?....Just wondering...and I'd say that the keeper strap for the Smith would be a necessity, eh?.... I tried a cross draw holster, worn high on the belt, at about the appendix position, but soon found that it banged the heck out of my forearm while reining...went back to the traditional right side, butt to the rear as a result...Rod

I too, spend an inordinate amount of time (according to my wife), on one of our horses. And unless going on a cross country trail ride with neighbors, I'm always armed with something. For the most part it's a single action...I like the Rugers, but do have two long barreled Colt SAA's as well.

During deer season, I usually rig a rifle scabbard, under my off side stirrup leather, butt to the front; and a long barreled .38-55 calls that rig home for nearly three months each fall. It's not unusual to walk up on our local deer while mounted and to get a shot that would not ordinarily present itself. And yes, before you ask, I dismount before shooting. All of our stock is used to gunfire here on the farm, and my sons and I have shot off our horses while mounted for many years. The trick is to never shoot forward as the muzzle blast is just as annoying to them as it is to us. For clipping thistle tops, there are few methods that are more fun out to say, 15 feet.

For the most part, while mounted, I use a thong or strap to secure the gun, and while we make all of our holsters tight enough to preclude either, they're an added level of insurance if we're thrown. I like the open top, Tom Threepersons style of rig that's been around since the early days out west.

It's a wonderful throwback to a simpler time, when we're mounted, and armed...brings the lives of our forefathers into focus so some extent, and allows us to appreciate the lives they lived.

Here's a pic of my favorite rig...gotta get some pics of Smoky with the rifle slung and one of the boys up top.

Best Regards, Rod

Last edited:
Hunter,

Well, your first issue is riding a mare....

Even my wife acknowledges mares are a challenge.

You will not hear any argument from me on that and this one's a red head to boot.

I've owned many horses through out my life, out of all of them I've only owned one gelding, all the rest were mares.

I've found that many times the mares have the right attitude for moving stubborn calves and the one I have now is not beyond taking a little taste of beef.

Not all the mares I've owned would I have been comfortable about having my gun strapped to them.
However most of them were honest and would stay with you, I feel that's a necessity if you are going to strap a gun on a horse.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

HunterCustoms, good lookin' rig...and it would appear that that holster and Smith would be far enough back to keep out of your off-leg. Why not carry on the belt?....Just wondering...and I'd say that the keeper strap for the Smith would be a necessity, eh?.... I tried a cross draw holster, worn high on the belt, at about the appendix position, but soon found that it banged the heck out of my forearm while reining...went back to the traditional right side, butt to the rear as a result...Rod

Rod, thanks for the compliment on the rig.

Yes the holster is far enough back that it and the gun never interfere with my leg, have never even snagged a spur on it when dismounting in a hurry.
Actually the way it's positioned my leg helps shield it when were in the thick stuff.

As for the keeper strap yes I feel it's a necessity for sure and the way it's positioned it does not interfere with the gun while drawing it.

As for belt carry, I did that for a lot of years.
Through the years I've been in quite a few wrecks with horses and it seems I land on my right hip the biggest part of the time.
Being right handed with the gun on my strong side it seemed the gun was always in the right place to land on and my right hip reminds me of this often.

Thanks for the info on your experience with a cross draw rig, I'll keep that in mind.

By the way that's a good looking rig in your picture.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Is it, generally spoken (I know it differs from State to State) allowed to carry visibly while somewhere uninhabited? (If I'm under the right impression you may NOT carry a sidearm in, say, an open hip holster within city limits, in the public etc.; in that case only concealed.)

The Laws not only vary from state to state, but the actual boots on the ground enforcement of the laws varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

It is, by the letter of the Law (specificly protected in both the State and US Constitutions), legal to carry a gun openly in the State of Nebraska, but try it in some places (City of Omaha for one) and you will likely find yourself the object of some less than polite attention by local Law Enforcement.

It is not right, but that is how it is.

Hunter Customs:
That is a fine looking ride and set-up you have there. Even though our tack is different, if I were to carry a pistol on the saddle that's how I'd do it. Just too many reservations about it at this time. When I take a long gun it is magazine fed, the mag and spare ammo is in my coat pocket.

Rodfac:
That is some very nice leather work! When I asked the local saddle man to make a pancake holster for my SR9c, he said if I want one I have to make it myself - hopefully this Jan. or Feb.! My FT .44 Special rides in a Simply Rugged Sourdough with a strap, stoked with "Rodfac" loads - 215 gr LSWC / WW231. It is a great load for that gun, it shoots very well. TYVM

A bit of history -

As SpareMag mentioned, the early revolvers were large and heavy - two loaded Walkers would be around 10 pounds - and would be rather cumbersome on a belt holster.

From the time that cavalry started carrying pistols - starting with the early single shot versions - they were generally kept in holsters which were draped from the pommel of the saddle. In that period a holster was always on the saddle and not on the belt. To be a useful military force cavalrymen had to be mounted so not much thought would be given to dismounted cavalry troops.

In fact the Colt revolvers which we know as "Dragoons" today were called "Holster pistols" by the Colt company in the time when they were a product being sold to the military. The term "Dragoon" is thought to have been applied by Colt collectors during the 20th century.

A fact I was made aware of in a history course I took at UT El Paso - most cowboys of the old west (1860-1890) wore a gun on his belt primarily to shoot his horse in case he fell from the saddle. In most cases the horse he was riding was just one owned by the ranch he worked for. Cowboys would work for weeks without seeing another soul. There was a chance that they could get thrown from the saddle and if one foot was hooked in the stirrup they could be dragged to death with nobody to come to their aid. Having a gun at hand might be the only way to save themselves.

At least that is the story related to us by one famous historian of the old west. If I can remember his name I will edit this post and add it.

Edited to add - the historian I was referring to above was Leon C. Metz.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment, Treg. I do like those open top holsters...'bout all I make anymore; just finished one for a S&W M637 that's my wife's carry piece. Hoping that'll encourage her to carry more often on our farm road while walking the pooch.

Just last week, one of our distant neighbors' Rottweilers (Sp?) ran out, scared the hell out of her, and did a number on our Lab. My wife said if she'd have had the .38 she'd have shot it....as it was a trip to vet resulted in some stitches, but at least she wasn't bitten separating them....we're dog lovers here but this scheisse has got to stop...tired of city people with attitudes and their tough guy dogs. Sorry for the rant...just got carried away...but the .38 should have settled the issue before it got out of hand.

Best Regards, Rod

Tejicano said, "A fact I was made aware of in a history course I took at UT El Paso - most cowboys of the old west (1860-1890) wore a gun on his belt primarily to shoot his horse in case he fell from the saddle. In most cases the horse he was riding was just one owned by the ranch he worked for. Cowboys would work for weeks without seeing another soul. There was a chance that they could get thrown from the saddle and if one foot was hooked in the stirrup they could be dragged to death with nobody to come to their aid. Having a gun at hand might be the only way to save themselves.

At least that is the story related to us by one famous historian of the old west. If I can remember his name I will edit this post and add it."

Seems like I remember Elmer Keith writing about this.

I, too, recall a similar story. The one I heard might have been from a member of this or another forum. Seems they had been dragged, but as a result their cartridge belt ended up around their armpits. They were unable to retrieve their pistol. Obviously they weren't killed, but the whole affair caused them to rethink how they carried their piece.

One more reason (however unlikely) that I don't ride horses. Once in the Boy Scouts has proven enough for this subsequently citified, now pseudo-small-town-living fellow. They are beautiful animals, but I believe I'll do my country wanderings on foot or on a four wheeler. Think ill of me if you must, I'm okay with that.:p

Fortunately for me, the closest thing I have are a couple donkeys my in-laws own. I'll give 'em apples, but I ain't riding one of those either.:D

The story about Keith being dragged by his horse, then shooting it to get clear was related by him in his seminal book, "Sixguns". A good read about hand guns in general, and sixguns in particular....love him or hate him, he had strong opinions, arrived at over 80+ years of very hard living. RIP, Mr. Keith.

Best Regards, Rod

Back