Carrying P229 cocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conceal carrying with the Hammer back is safe- Safe as a Glock 19

I have been reading several threads about this topic. It appears most everyone has an opinion that by cocking the hammer of a DA/SA makes it too unsafe to carry.

On one hand you would have to be very naive to think that cocking the hammer is as safe as carrying in DA mode. The same logic goes for carrying a Glock with a round racked in place.

Glock has done such a good job of marketing there double "safe" action only. I have a many Glocks including a model 19. Stock I think the trigger pull is 4.5 pounds. I along with many Glock enthusiasts have modified my trigger pull. I installed a lighter trigger assembly and pin reducing my pull to 3.5 or so pounds.

I have carried my Glock 19 and 43 this way for years. Having a secure IWB holster with a rigid plastic guard over the trigger is all you need.

In my opinion " common sense albeit" there are two areas of concern carrying any gun with a live round in the chamber. Wither it is a SA, DA/SA, or DA only preventing negligent discharges is what we are all after. The two areas of concern would be pulling the trigger unintentionally or dropping the gun and discharging the weapon.

So lets discuss for simplicity sake the Glock 19 Double action only and the Sig P229 DA/SA. For ease of debate lets use the drop test. Everything I have read both the Glock 19 and Sig P229 cocked will not fire dropped unless the trigger is pulled on either gun.

Now lets discuss carrying these guns holstered, chambered and cocked. I think we can all agree now that neither of these guns will fire without the trigger being pulled. If you have a safe holster this will never be a problem; at least while the gun is holstered.

The only other areas of concern are when both guns are holstered or un-holstered. Here is where the rubber meets the road, and everybody sheepily following the flock.

Just because Glock has done a great job making us believe these are double action pistols, they in terms of safety are not.

Most Double Action guns have a 10lb trigger pull. In a concealed carry environment where we might holster and un-holster our guns a few times each day, this could add a large degree of safety.

In order to determine the Sig P229 unsafe because the gun is cocked, one would have to review the trigger pull weight. Because at this stage of the game this is the only safety margin either the Glock or the Sig have.

Even though the Glock is partially cocked it only takes between 3.5 and 4.5 pound of pull with a very short travel needed to make the Glock go boom. The Sig has a 4 to 4.5 pound trigger in SA mode. The Sig does is SA mode a slightly less trigger pull length, but a slightly higher trigger pull pound.

So one could argue carrying a Glock with a trigger job is less safe than carrying a cocked Sig P229 with a stock trigger.

OP…

https://www.sigsauer.com/p229-legion-compact-sao.html

I have been reading several threads about this topic. It appears most everyone has an opinion that by cocking the hammer of a DA/SA makes it too unsafe to carry.

Because it is…

Big difference between the SIG DA/SA setup in SA and the Glock. The Glock was designed to be carried as such. Multiple safeties, to include the trigger safety. For the SIG, yes it has a firing pin block… but the DA pull is similar in practice to the Glock’s trigger safety. That is how those SIGs are designed to be carried, as are all DA/SA pistols with a decocker. If it were designed to be carried cocked, there usually is a n external manual safety to allow this (CZ, SA SIGs, H&K, etc).

Whether or not the firing pin safety is going to catch it… you have a SA trigger ready to be pulled. It is resting on the sear, and the firing pin safety will be disengaged with the same short trigger pull. That first part is the bigger difference between it and the Glock… where the trigger still has to do more work before firing (similar preset DAO, like some of the S&W 3rd Gen pistols and some of Ruger’s guns… like the original LCP; notice it as the DAO pull doesn’t allow for a second strike). While training could probably reduce any issue… getting amped up and drawing, you could yank a round off before you intended.

Would you carry a S&W 686 with the hammer cocked? Safeties might keep it from going off when dropped… but I wouldn’t call that situation “safe.”

I have a P228 that I don't carry, because I have other smaller and lighter carry options, but the thought of having that on my hip in SA mode would make me extremely nervous.

Try this . . . .

I carry my sig p238 cocked and locked in an OWB thumb break holster. The gun goes into the holster and the thumb break strap goes between the hammer and the firing pin. It's a clip on holster so then the whole thing goes on my belt. I feel absolutely comfortable carrying in that manner.

Life is good.
Prof Young

But the P238 is SA only. There's a difference. Would you carry it cocked with the safety off? That's essentially what the OP is wanting to do.

Maybe he has figured it out in the intervening 13 years.
Or maybe he slipped and shot himself.

Damn! I hate when that happens…

Unsure if it is able to be added, but BerettaForum has an option that needs to be checked prior to responding to threads over X amount of time. Unsure if it would work with Tapatalk, but might help.

I keep thinking that one of these days, after 20 or so years of internet forums, that I'll remember to look at the date of the OP before replying to a thread. It still hasn't happened, and at this point it probably never will.

I don't know what the op decided on, back in the day, but, speaking for myself, I would never carry a SIG da pistol cocked, but then I would never carry a striker-fired pistol having no manual safety (or at the very least, one having a grip safety, ala Springfield XD). However, I concede that many, if not most, people happily carry a Glock-type pistol having no manual safety with a round chambered without concern-but those very same people would never dream of carrying a 1911-type pistol cocked and unlocked, even though the pound pulls on the triggers of said pistols are often enough the same.

Striker-fired pistols are not intrinsically unsafe but they aren't nearly as "forgiving" as some other safety configurations are (and yes, I know, the real safety is between your ears...).

I don't know what the op decided on, back in the day, but, speaking for myself, I would never carry a SIG da pistol cocked, but then I would never carry a striker-fired pistol having no manual safety (or at the very least, one having a grip safety, ala Springfield XD). However, I concede that many, if not most, people happily carry a Glock-type pistol having no manual safety with a round chambered without concern-but those very same people would never dream of carrying a 1911-type pistol cocked and unlocked, even though the pound pulls on the triggers of said pistols are often enough the same.

Striker-fired pistols are not intrinsically unsafe but they aren't nearly as "forgiving" as some other safety configurations are (and yes, I know, the real safety is between your ears...).

I’ve owned a lot of Glocks and a number of 1911s. I never had a Glock that had a trigger press as short or as crisp as a 1911. Most of those 1911s also had lighter triggers, though generally only 0.5-1 lb. lighter.

The OP here hasn’t had a post in 9 years and many of the people that did comment on this before the most recent bump are also absent these days. As was pointed out, there are SAO variants of the P series pistols these days. In addition, there are E2 grips for people that have issues with trigger reach (as well as different trigger shoes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back