Carrying P229 cocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruchik

Inactive
I've been researching this matter for a while, and the consensus seems to be that it is very unwise to carry a P229 cocked. But the problem for me is this: my hands are small. I mean really small. I love the P229, no doubt, but even with the short trigger, I can't pull the trigger properly in DA without pulling/pushing the muzzle everywhere. It's not really a matter of training, it's simply that my finger BARELY reaches the trigger in DA; I can only get the very tip of my finger on the trigger. SA with short trigger is no problem. So here's my question. Can I carry a P229 cocked, by first decocking the gun, holstering it, then cocking it again while the gun is in the holster? It seems a major concern is that the gun will go off during reholstering, but decocking then recocking would get around that, no? Or is my only real option to find a SAO gun or an HK? I've contemplated practicing cocking the hammer, then drawing, but that doesn't seem very smart either.

Look at the various offerings from the 1911 I've seen them in 9mm, 38 super, 40 sw, 10mm, 45 acp plus a few other lesser available calibers. The 1911 has a slimmer grip than many guns with a trigger that seems very easy to reach. There are also slim grips available for the 1911. I've also got a hk usp but I don't think the trigger is easier to reach than a 1911. I don't have one but I've seen many times high marks given to the cz 75 grip I don't know what the trigger reach is like. My hi-power also has an excellent grip but I don't think the trigger is easier to reach than the 1911. I would suggest you go and try a few of those.

- I guess you could but I would not feel comfortable with it. I do not like the extra manipulation of the pistol once it has a round in the chamber. I think that P229 has a safety that prevents discharge without pulling the trigger. So, in case hammer slips and falls, the pistol would not fire .... it still feels unsafe to me.
- If your hands are really that small, it may be better/safer to get a pistol that fits your hand for carry. If you really like DA/SA/Decocker Sigs, then maybe look at a P6/P225 or a P239.
- If you decide to carry the P229 cocked, maybe look at a holster that blocks the hammer.

Last edited:
My hands are also on the small side, somewhere in between a men's medium and small golf glove. I have a similar problem with a CZ P-01 -- the DA trigger reach is a tad too far. Unfortunately I think you will need to look for a different gun, especially if you are carrying it. A 1911, as others mentioned, is a good idea. Or, you can look at a polymer gun with interchangeable backstrap. I've heard the S&W M&P fits the bill and is a fine handgun. I own an HK p2000 (not the subcompact) and it fits me like a glove with the medium backstrap. The DA trigger reach is perfect. It also has a small backstrap that might work for you. I stronglyu suggest you check one out. Or, you could try a S&W J frame. I have the model 60 pro with a 3 inch barrel which is a great fit for someone with a smallish hand and would make a good carry piece.

Agree with another post, if you cannot be comfortable with that gun because of the size of your hand, I would recommend trading it for something you can, pardon the pun, HANDle.

Probably one of the most common mistakes people make, myself included, is buying a gun on appeal and not factoring in the comfort and maneuverability, if you will, of the weapon and how it feels in your hand. If it is too big for you, than it will never be comfortable to shoot no matter what you do or how hard you train. Get something more to your hand size.

Good Luck.

Well that's just the thing. I have absolutely no problems with the gun in SA. It's just the DA that's giving me problems, and I was wondering if there some method of carry or battery of arms that would help deal with that.

You should not cock the gun in the holster, a slip would be hazardous to your health if the firing pin block did not engage.

If you just must, the time to thumb cock is after the draw as the gun is coming onto target. I have seen people shoot IPSC and IDPA that way because they had short fingers or because they did not work on the DA-SA transition enough to be confident of a first round hit. It is slower than simply pulling the trigger or flipping a safety and requires both hands, which may not always be available. But it is possible.

I think it is time to be looking at other guns that YOU can put into action without the monkey motion.

You are talking about overriding the design of the gun. Find a gun that will fit your hand, that you don't have to change the way it was designed. Or learn how to shoot the Sig. It's not safe to carry any other way in a holster but with it decocked.

This is the exact reason I carry a P239, instead of a P229. I prefer the DA/SA action, but can't reach the DA with confidence on the 229.

Please carry your gun as intended. Otherwise, it's time to find another gun that fits your hand better.

Carrying P229 cocked is not a good idea at all. You should call Bruce at Gray Guns Inc, and consult with him about converting it to a SAO. I've got a P220 SAO, and couldn't be happier. I've always liked SIG's, but never liked the de cocker option. So when they came out with the SAO in 2005, I had to have one, but never had the opportunity until a few weeks ago. Convert it to SAO, and you'll love the cocked and locked aspect. I know I do, that's why I love my 1911, CZ's, and now my SIG.

DBAR

Last edited:
I recommend trading or outright buying a 1911. Standard grip panels can be changed to thin/slim panels. Also the trigger is easily changed to a shorter one.

Never ever carry a firearm in a manor other than as it was designed to be carried. Its just not smart to do otherwise.

It really matters not that you like the gun you have. It is to big for your hands. Since you are unable to grow your fingers/hands larger...your really left with only one choice. Sell it and get something that fits properly.

As people have said, another gun is the best solution.

You might want to look into the P239, 1911, Hi-Power, CZ-75 variants with cocked and locked capability, or various Kahr pistols.

P-239 in 40 is a most excellent gun [ i carry it more than any other] but it is bordering on largish.

the [mostly useless] 45 GAP if it is made in single stack may work for your small hands.
EMP also--as a sized down 45acp in 9mm [or do they make it in 40?].
Kel-Tek's PF9 has a smaller grip than the P-11.

but get a gun that fits you as it is designed to operate.
DO NOT get creative.

good luck

Dangerous

I have a P229 and the single action trigger is about 4 pounds with a pretty short stroke. It doesn't take much to fire it. I'd be afraid to carry it holstered in that condition. The DA trigger is about 10 pounds with a long stroke, and this mode feels safe in the holster to me.

If you like Sigs you could get a P239. I have one of these and the trigger reach is noticeably shorter than on the P229. Mine was bought used and has the Sig short trigger. It is almost too short a reach for me, and I wind up with my finger too far around the trigger. I'm thinking about buying a long trigger for this reason to replace the short one. But it may just fit a person with shorter fingers.

Have a look at the CZ line. The gun is designed to be carried with the hammer at half cock, which will begin the trigger pull halfway through it's stroke. It can also be carried cocked and locked (safety on, some models) or full DA pull.

But definitely do NOT carry that 229 with the hammer back on a loaded chamber. Never.

Also have a look at the XD line. The one I owned had a very short LOP, one reason why I sold it as I have long fingers.

Ruchik

I am so surprised someone has not mentioned getting the trigger worked over. All of my Sigs, before i even shoot them, get sent out for trigger work. It brings the DA pull down to around 6lbs (which is like a factory glock pull) and SA to around 3.5.

Many people will have comments against getting a trigger worked over, but the truth of it is they are wrong. GGI(Gray Guns Inc.) take a factory gun and make it more reliable and more accurate. They are at the top of the totem poll when talking about gunsmithing by far. However, their price dictates that at being around $250 for a complete action job.

There is another smith that i can recommend first hand, his name is Bill Springfield at trigger-work.net. He does not do a complete action job though, it is strictly smoothing out of the trigger by deburring and polishing. His services are much more afforable at $55, but he does not do any deburring and realiability work-strictly trigger work.

Just google both guys and visit their site. This would be the best decision/route you could go

I carry a SIG P239-40. I sometimes practice cocking with my support hand thumb when I draw, keep the trigger finger on the frame to keep from shooting before ready.
I would never carry it cocked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back