Carrying Chambered. Illegal?

The sentence structure "moving from one dwelling or business to another." makes it clear. You are either moving from one dwelling to another (another being dwelling) OR moving from one business to another (another being business). The word "another" must refer to the noun previously chosen.

To clarify it further, they used the words "in moving" which is referring to the more general actions of relocating yourself and your belongings rather than the specific action of moving only the gun.

Addition:

I personally would like to see a change to this law allowing someone to transport their firearm to/from a range. I think allowing people to purchase a firearm for home defense and then not allowing them to go to the range with it is a huge safety issue. Obviously I would like to see people allowed to transport it anywhere (especially if its unloaded and secured), but given how easy it is to get a permit, I think that would be a hard sell. Its easier to change the laws in baby steps.

Blue, did you hear this in a gun shop?:D

No, sorry, I just kidding. Your friend is mistaken.

Likely he is repeating something a cop told him.

A receent police accademy grad told me Indiana does not alow for conceald carry with the permit. I thought "thats strange" the permit states may carry on or about ones person. the Indiana hangun law "the book" states the law is not specific on legality of concealed or open carry. I think it was refered to as ambiguous in meaning. Does that muddy the waters? :confused:

Oh! yes your friend is mistaken.

Someone told me the same thing about Pennsylvania law--if carrying a semi-auto, chamber must be empty. Exemptions for revolvers, because the hammer will actually fire the next round, not the one it's resting on. He was 100% wrong! When I've challenged him on that, he was not able to prove it, other than by saying "it's a fact--everyone knows it." I've asked firearms instructors in Pennsylvania, and they've all told me the same thing--that he is full of ----!

I imagine it's the same situation here--some wannabee know-it-all is trying to impress people with statements like that.

The Indiana state's webpage has changed--it used to answer a lot of these questions, but perhaps there have been some legislative changes recently. I remember specifically that in the FAQ's about firearms that the state issued carry permits--open or concealed was the option of the licensee, not determined by the state.

Don't go by what the police academy grad says. Print out the statutes and show him he's wrong.

A few years ago I was told by one of the local badgeheads here in NJ that it was illegal for me to take firearms into Pennsylvania, as I'd been doing going to a range there. He said that it was interstate gun running. I contacted someone at the AG's office of Pennsylvania--they said that there were no restrictions for me to visit a target range in PA, as long as my firearms were transported a certain way (unloaded in the trunk, etc.).

Bottom line, just because someone is a police officer or criminal justice major does not mean that they are the final authority on ANYTHING.

Cops, and particularly wanna-be cops, are the worst source of legal opinion available...other than gunshops.

Most of my CJ instructors were lawyers, usually PD types or small time defense attorneys. The only cops that came in were guest speakers.

Back