Carrying Chambered. Illegal?

BlueDragon

I live in Indiana and was hoping someone from Indiana could tell me if this true. Someone i know tried to tell me earlier that it is illegal to carry a gun with a ccw permit while the gun is chambered and ready to go. Now this is how I and alot of people i know carry. But is it true it's illegal and that your supposed to only have a charged magazine? I myself dont believe he but he "swears" up and down it's true. Just because he's a criminal justice student in college. so he would "know" as quoted by him.:barf:

I'm not a resident of Indiana and not a lawyer.

I did a quick once-over of Indiana law and didn't see anything like that.

I live in Kentucky but Indiana is a 10 minute drive and I carry in Indiana often. I don't believe it is illegal to carry with one in the chamber in CCW situation. My hunch is your friend is confused with transporting arms in a vehicle.

Besides, that would pretty much make carrying a revolver illegal wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Unless the Indiana law specfically prohibits revolvers for ccw

How could they prohibit having a round in the chamber, without prohibiting having a revolver loaded? No round under the hammer? Or next up under the hammer?

The most like explanation is your friend (if he is) is confusing the "transporting" of firearms (which have to be unloaded, this is virtually universal) with the carrying of a firearm, such as a ccw.

Disclaimer: I have no direct knowledge of Indiana law as it pertains to this matter. This is only my opinion, and has no factual basis, etc.etc.etc.

Bet him some money, see if he can "proove" it!;)

Just because he's a criminal justice student in college. so he would "know" as quoted by him.

Now you know why law school admissions committees laugh out loud when they see "Criminal Justice Major" on applications! :rolleyes:

I've never heard of a state with a real CCW statute that prohibits carry with a round in the pipe. The closest I've heard is that in some state(s) (unsure which one(s)) you can carry a magazine separate from the unloaded gun and it is legal without a permit (I think there's also debate on that).

But I've never heard of having to carry even a partially unloaded gun with a permit. That's just stupid.

I lived in Indiana 25 years..until 1996. Had CCW. I have two Sons that still live there and I visit all the time. Never heard of such a thing. Doesn't make any sense. They will arrest you and charge you the same if you use a gun in a crime, round in chamber or not.

In Indiana, with a license to carry handguns, you could carry a loaded subgun if you wanted. Indiana has no restrictions of any kind of what condition you can carry in. He is simply foolish.

I've never heard of it. Ask him to point out the statute or a case.

Criminal justice student, huh? This guy could be a cop someday. Scary.

In my CJ class, there were mostly future criminals in there, all wanting to find some way to avoid going to jail next time.

"Uh. Mr. Professor, I have a question. So this ummmm.... friend of mine... was caught for DUI and when they searched his car, they found his ganja. Don't they need a warrant for that? I can't... I mean he can't to go to jail."

AlleyKat
Now you know why law school admissions committees laugh out loud when they see "Criminal Justice Major" on applications!

In college, the CJ majors used to hang out together like a gang. It was wierd. We used to crack jokes that they all rode the short bus to school.

I'll just add what many have already said...

there is NOTHING in Indiana law that prohibits you from carrying one in the chamber. I recommend you get the book Indiana Handgun Law. While the Indiana Code isn't difficult to understand, this book is still well worth reading because it offers some info that non-lawyers might not think of when just reading the code.

Just for fun, ask this buddy of yours about transporting a handgun in a car unloaded and locked up. It is a common misconception that you are allowed to do that in Indiana without a permit. However you are really only allowed to do that if you are transporting it to/from the store you purchased it from, to/from a gunsmith, or to your new place of residence/employment (not back and forth from residence to employment though).

It sounds like your friend is basing his beliefs purely on hearsay rather than actually READING THE LAW.

However you are really only allowed to do that if you are transporting it to/from the store you purchased it from, to/from a gunsmith, or to your new place of residence/employment (not back and forth from residence to employment though).

(11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

Interesting. I guess the word "moving" could be interpretted to mean moving as in changing residence or business addresses.... I would have thought it would have meant traveling between.... I guess if they wanted it to mean that they would have used the word traveling or going or something other than "moving", though. Do you know is there any case precedent or written interpretation of this?

Back