Carrying, Being Approached

ncpatriot

I've noticed that when I'm carrying (CCW), I get approached less by panhandlers of all descriptions. This is significant, as I've always been a person the wino would pick out of a large crowd to hit on. I don't consciously do anything different. I'm a sociable & outgoing type of person; speak to a lot of people in stores, offices, etc. I strike up conversations easily. I do the same when carrying, along with helping little old ladies with their shopping bags, giving jumps to stranded motorists (police around here won't do that any more), etc. But I get a lot less of "hey, can you help me out here.....".

Has anyone else had this experience? I must have a bit more of a "war face" when I carry. I laugh as I say this. Anyone who knows me would not call me a warrior by any stretch of the word.

How long have you had your license?

Perhaps when carrying you perceive yourself differently and carry yourself differently. The other option is that you carry yourself no differently but you perceive the world differently when carrying.

My first time carrying (to Wally World of course) I was convinced that EVERYONE knew I was carrying. After a few months you realized that you'd almost have to wear a neon sign for anyone to even give you a second glance much less notice you were carrying concealed.

From my view, I don't think I'm treated, or act, any differently when I carry. It's pretty second nature and I'm not really "aware" that I'm carrying.

Last edited:
I think its just coincidence. If you think you are really doing something different, try approaching one and asking him for some spare change - study his reaction. If he says somethign like "don't shoot me..." or puts his hands up, you might be doing something wrong. :D

[QUOTE I don't consciously do anything different.][/QUOTE]

Then it has to be subconscious. Look at it this way, the world did not change because you strapped on a gun. You are telegraphing your status.

On the bright side, I must be doing good because every bum around asks me for money.

I just don't think bums really care if John Q. Citizen is carrying a gun or not. They have more life-threatening and dangerous things to worry about.

Has anyone else had this experience? I must have a bit more of a "war face" when I carry. I laugh as I say this. Anyone who knows me would not call me a warrior by any stretch of the word.

Probably a couple of factors. When you're carrying, you are (hopefully) more observant of your surroundings and aware of potential threats. That's noticeable to the street-wise.

Back in the day, one of our secretaries commented that everyone knew we were armed (Army CID). I asked how, since we were working in street clothes at the time, rather than our usual coat-and-ties. She pointed her fingers like a gun, made a shooting motion with her thumb, and said, "Because you've got that 'ka-pow' look on your face." :eek::D

I suspect you carry yourself differently when you are armed, and project a "Don't tread on me" aura. Not necessarily a bad thing. :cool:

People who carry tend to carry themselves differently too. They're more likely to make eye contact versus cowering away, etc. This tends to broadcast a more confident body movement attitude and move back more would-be approaches.

I know somebody who, many years ago lived in a very rough part of IL and had a couple attempted muggings (which she ran away from, very fast runner).
She started carrying a little 22 pistol in her purse.. she was never approached again. Obviously I don't condone such illegal activity... however the example is the same.

I think pan-handling is still illegal, or at least frowned upon, in most cities. Perhaps they hone their ability to spot an leo...EVEN AN UNDER-COVER ONE, WHOM YOU MAY RESEMBLE...Just a thought.

It's your change in body attitude and altertness. Much research on victim selection. Folks have dissected cues in gait, head posture, alertness, etc.

Interesting to surreptiously film carriers and see if we can figure that out. Hard to do though.

I walk differently. I talk differently. I look at things differently. I drive differently. What's the difference? No more fear.

I didn't start to notice the differences until I'd been carrying a few weeks, but they're definite. You couldn't pay me to return to walking around unarmed.

I for sure see it as a good thing. I know I have always tried to notice what's around me, but I guess it shows to a greater level after I started carrying. Some of my greater awareness must be a bit visible. The way I carry, I don't print. I sometimes have a minor bulge under my vest or jacket, not too different from an air pocket.

There are several mannerisms that armed people do, they are picking you up doing these things.

Readjusting, useing your hand or arm to contact it and make sure it is still there, wearing your clothes just a little different. While you may not be printing, your clothes may hand diiferent ( they usuaLLY DO). Hobos and panhandlers are very adept at reading people, as are waitresses and prostitutes.

Pay close attention to your mannerisms next time you are out, or have your wife watch you, there is something subtle that you are doing to give yourself away.

Well, as as I say, I'm OK with getting hustled less. I used to be plagued with it. I couldn't stop for gas, walk 2 blocks, or stop at a light without someone moving in on me to beg. I'm softhearted by nature & got suckered a lot. I eventually did wise up & find ways t help w/out giving $.

I think that these folks nailed it - attitude!

Now you are acting like the proverbial Sheepdog, not like a sheep.

Jamie

And you don't need to be armed to send the message that you are alert and ready to act.
Anyone coming up to you without an invitation won't know what you are carrying, if anything.
They will know what they see, someone who is not a pushover or a victim.

As is mentioned there is a confidence change, an attitude of self confidence which may reflect in having a "game face" that you get. I know that advantage takers, wither they be criminals or panhandlers, look to a persons mannerisms, facial expressions and probably even the way you walk. Interestingly if you've been in the armed services you will generally stand tall with your chest out, that in itself telegraphs a greater confidence which others will notice. I always strive to be aware of my surroundings, even before I got my CCW. I'm rather selfish of the space around me perhaps because I have pretty good peripheral vision, when someone enters that space I often turn and look them in the eye, checking their intentions. I don't consider this as being paranoid, to me it's just common sense. I'm not unfriendly and frequently speak to strangers without fear. Occasionially I do have panhandlers come up to me but when I speak to them it's with authority and they seldom get too close

Eyes up mouth shut.......

As a kid my father (former leo and soldier) always told me to keep my eyes up and my mouth shut when in public. Not to say the you don't talk to people or strike up a happy conversation but with heightened responsibility (carrying) comes heightened alertness.

Martial arts training always taught me as well that you cannot address a threat if you do not realize it is coming. It is more likely your visual posture and your look of confidence.

BTW you never said what you are carrying. It could be the print of the snw 454 cassaul revolver lol

Vermonter

Attitude and clothing:

A farmer friend of mine was spot on when I first started carrying (he has been for years), I asked him how he knew I was and just told me, "Your look, Your walk and your baggier clothing."

A large Part Of Communication Is Non-verbal

I'm sure that Glenn could expand on this concept. When you are trained and confident [ not arrogant] in yourself you are communicating to others.

Predators quickly pick up on this. Even cops can tell by your body language that you are packing. It's sort of don't mess with me attitude.

Pay attention and you'll see men and WOMEN do this. It's not a conscious act. Many will look you in the eye, and say " good morning", and you get the feeling that this person should not be messed with.

Back