Carrying a BUG for sig others...

Also some states only let you carry 1 gun at a time. You need to check if it is legal to carry more than 1 on you.

That goes for Ohio, too. No multiple weapon carry in the Buckeye state.

I pointedly asked a Sheriff's Sergeant last time I got my CHL renewed, as there was a discussion about it.

Ol' Sarge gave me "the look" and the answer "Only One", . . . so I figured that question had come up, . . . and was settled.

Anyway, . . . may God bless,
Dwight

That goes for Ohio, too. No multiple weapon carry in the Buckeye state.

I pointedly asked a Sheriff's Sergeant last time I got my CHL renewed, as there was a discussion about it.

Ol' Sarge gave me "the look" and the answer "Only One", . . . so I figured that question had come up, . . . and was settled.

Dwight, I have enjoyed many of your posts so forgive me but you are basing this on a sailored, scrappy ole sarge who raised an eyebrow seemigly wondering why you would ask that question? I don't know of any law in OH that would forbid a legal, licensed permit holder from carrying their psitol as well as a backup gun. And he wouldn't have to keep it in the trunk...on his person, in the glovebox, in the center console would probably suffice but different states do have differences regarding that - I usually reference www.handgunlaw.us

therealdeal said:
I don't know of any law in OH that would forbid a legal, licensed permit holder from carrying their psitol as well as a backup gun. And he wouldn't have to keep it in the trunk...on his person, in the glovebox, in the center console would probably suffice but different states do have differences regarding that - I usually reference www.handgunlaw.us

The question came up in an offhand discussion several years ago, . . . some of us were discussing different strategies for SD / HD and multiple weapons hit the stage as a topic.

One voice quoted the back of the actual CHL license Ohio issues, that states: "....... is permitted to carry a concealed handgun in the state of Ohio.....".

We discussed whether "to carry a....." was exclusive of multiple carry as it seemed to define only one avenue, . . . that of carrying one and only one handgun on one's person at a time.

That was the question I posed to the sergeant who was at that time THE responsible person for issuing CHL's in Marion County, Ohio. Sheriff Baily has a reputation for not having un-knowledgeable persons on his staff, . . . so I took it that I was being told the correct answer.

Additionally, . . . most of Ohio is reasonably sane, safe, and a good place to visit, live, etc. HOWEVER, . . . Cincinnati, Cleveland, Toledo, and especially Columbus are distinctly NOT gun friendly. The mayor of Colubmus, especially, is a dried up little maggot of liberality, and pushes downward through his "chain of command" any and all efforts to curtail any firearm related item.

They would treat you as a terrorist at any opportunity, . . . so I advise all my friends and acquaintances to err if need be, but err on the side that has less consequences. In this case, . . . multiple gun carry has been pointed out by a knowledgeable LEO to be verboten, . . . might be good to go that way.

May God bless,
Dwight

Only the State of New Mexico has a law that only allows the carrying of one concealed firearm. Odd thing is you can open carry in NM and can carry one concealed and 100 openly if you like but only one concealed. Every other state allows as many as you can conceal on you or states that require the firearm to be listed on your carry permit/license you can only carry those that are listed. I remember seeing Lou Alessi's NY Carry permit/license. There were at least a dozen or more listed on his.

Oklahoma is the only state that limits how large a cal you can carry. In OK you can carry a max of 45 cal.

Some states have mag limits. You can only carry a mag that does not contain any more rounds than their law allows. This number is different from one state to the other that do have mag limits.

Have you considered how much all this added weight will affect your gas mileage on your road trip?

Kidding, but seriously as others have stated IMO you are going overboard. Preparing for the worst is having your gun and a reload with you. If you get stopped with several handguns in the vehicle traveling as far as you are it is MY opinion you are creating a bad situation for yourself.

I UNDERSTAND THERE MAY VERY WELL BE NO LAW AGAINST TAKING YOUR ENTIRE GUN SAFE WITH YOU ON A ROADTRIP. But if you get stopped for anything, you are going to have a million and one questions about why you've got so many guns with you, and why this, and why that...etc. Saying "Because I am legally allowed" is going to be a terrible answer to the repeated questions.

I think you'd be equally as prepared for anything short of civil war with your gun and a spare mag loaded. Bringing a second gun for her which she is not legally able to carry seems slightly ridiculous. Anytime she'd have access to it in the glove compartment, you will be sitting right beside her with your gun. Your hypothetical situation teeters on unfathomable.

ripnbst brought up a very good point. In Colorado an Attorney has told me people are getting arrested for carrying their firearm in their glove box. That is not illegal but there was someone riding in the passenger seat that was under age or a prohibited person and could not legally possess a firearm. Being in the Glove box made it accessible to the person underage/prohibited which is against the law in Colorado. Other states have similar wording in their laws that Colorado has. So do be careful on where you carry your firearm/s.

I always check that too, but my wife did get her CCW which was nice. I don't travel without 2-3weapons(I'm talking like a family vacation), but I always make sure it is ok. There is nothing wrong with having a couple handguns if it is legal. any argument against can have as much momentum from someone who thinks one is too many or unnecessary...a family vacation is a perfect example for a reason to be prepared for the worst andor to defend ones family.

Back