Carry vs. Practice Ammo

I guess maybe I am unusual in that my very first pistol was a 1911A1 in .45acp. From day 1 I have shot it using full power 230 grain FMJ and JHP. I am not suggesting anyone do what I did, just that this is how I started.

"...practice with regular .38 ammo and carry .38 +p..." That's like saying use Regular gas for qualifying and High Octane for race day. Practice with what you intend using.

I guess maybe I am unusual in that my very first pistol was a 1911A1 in .45acp. From day 1 I have shot it using full power 230 grain FMJ and JHP. I am not suggesting anyone do what I did, just that this is how I started.

Uncle Sam's ammunition was the poorest ammunition ever loaded, but the price was right. All you need to do was enlist.:rolleyes:

For all around handgun shooting practice, nothing beats a good 22. Smith & Wesson, Ruger, and other brands will provide you with excellent inexpensive trigger time.

poorest ammunition ever loaded

It might have been the cheapest, but far from the poorest. A lot of dead enemy soldiers might disagree with you assessment. Now as to being match ammo it is not, but it was never intended for shooting matches but for shooting it works just fine. And after putting 1,000s and 1,000s of rounds of it down range it works and hits what you are shooting at.

Jim

It might have been the cheapest, but far from the poorest. A lot of dead enemy soldiers might disagree with you assessment. Now as to being match ammo it is not, but it was never intended for shooting matches but for shooting it works just fine. And after putting 1,000s and 1,000s of rounds of it down range it works and hits what you are shooting at.

Back In the 60s, I was a member of a pistol team in the 25th Air Div. (USAF). We had three grades of 45 acp. The G.I. ball ammunition which was anything straight out of an ammo can, marked from 1942 to 1952. Good for maybe 16 to 18" groups. Some of the guys would take this ammunition, disassemble and then would reassemble it using standard reloading equipment. The groups from this ammo would be less than 10". The real "Match" from Lackland Small Arms School was marked Match 64. would get maybe 4", depending on how fresh 1911a1 was.

"...practice with regular .38 ammo and carry .38 +p..." That's like saying use Regular gas for qualifying and High Octane for race day. Practice with what you intend using.
Guess I stepped on the fire ant hill this time, eh? :p

For the record, I wasn't suggesting to never practice with the carry loads, but ending the session with a couple wheels of it is enough for me.
Absolutely I agree that "the gunfight" isn't the place to be trying new ammo.

I saw a lot of post pertaining to new shooters, which is fine seeing as many new shooters have probably read this and were wondering something along the same lines. I would however like to clarify that I've been shooting for over 15 years and this has been my philosophy right from the beginning. The main reason I decided to post this was, after seeing so many people agree on the contrary, to make sure I wasn't making some horrible mistake that might have come around to bite me in the backside somewhere down the line. :p

So how about this:

Is there any difference training with normal 9mm fmj vs 9mm hollow point? Because I don't want to spend that much money on hollow points.

If the weights and velocities are similar, things should be very close. Any difference would be negligible.

I load 124 grain FMJs at around 1050-1100fps. I carry 127 grain Ranger T's that run a little over 1200fps. I see little difference between them when I shoot them.

Is there any difference training with normal 9mm fmj vs 9mm hollow point? Because I don't want to spend that much money on hollow points.

If the POA/POI, and felt recoil seam to be the same, I don't believe there will be a problem and it should be fine. Just be sure that both the full metal jacket and the hollowpoint will cycle your pistol 100%.

Even this has turned into a peeing contest. The Operative words are NEW SHOOTER.

A new shooter needs to develop their skillset and .38s in a .357 will help them do that hopefully without developing bad habits. Then they can proceed to practice with full house ammo and carry with what ever they choose.

At the normal SD distance of 10 yards that I practice at most:
In my 380 LCP I don't notice point of impact, or recoil differences in range ammo and my carry ammo.
In my 9MM Kahr CM9 I don't notice any difference in point of impact, or recoil between standard pressure range ammo, and tye +P ammo I carry
In my 40 S&W caliber Springfield XD40 Subcompact I also notice no differences in WWB range ammo, and tge Speer Gold Dot I carry when this gun is my choice.
The same can be said for38 Spcl. And 38Spcl +P in my 38 LCR.
I do see a significant difference in price per round in all of them!
I can see maybe there would be some amount of diference In the 357 Magnum LCR, but I'm not sure it would be that significant.

Last edited:
I start my session with wwb 180 gr Fmj then always finish with a couple of my carry loads gold dot hp 180 poi is the same for both in my SR40

I don't "punch paper" with my carry guns, except to satisfy myself that I am current with them. Sometimes that's one magazine, the one I'm carrying at the time. I also take carry ammo with me though, as sometimes it's been a while, and one mag won't do it. It CAN take two or three or even up to a box before I'm satisfied, but it's always the same ammo I carry. When I feel like punching paper for fun, I reload my own, and use my range guns. And take several .22s.;)

I load my range/training ammo to duplicate my carry ammo.

This makes the most sense to me. If you don't reload, buy an affordable FMJ round that has equivalent exterior ballistics to your carry JHP round. For example, if you carry Federal Premium 147-gr Hydr-Shok JHP, the Federal American Eagle 147-gr FMJ Flat Point has the identical muzzle velocity and the identical trajectory out to at least 100 yd. Thus, during practice your recoil and POIs will be identical as what you would see with your carry ammo in a real situation.

Posted by Stevie-Ray:
I don't "punch paper" with my carry guns, except to satisfy myself that I am current with them. Sometimes that's one magazine, the one I'm carrying at the time. I also take carry ammo with me though, as sometimes it's been a while, and one mag won't do it. It CAN take two or three or even up to a box before I'm satisfied, but it's always the same ammo I carry. When I feel like punching paper for fun, I reload my own, and use my range guns.
If your "range guns" are the same as the gun you carry and you use the same holster, that strategy should suffice....

....as long as you "feel like punching paper for fun" with a frequency sufficient to keep up your skills, and you do it in a manner that would prove helpful for SD.

I should hope the phrase "the one I'm carrying at the time" does not indicate that your carry pieces are not very similar to one another, at least in terms of function and grip.

OldMarksman said:
If your "range guns" are the same as the gun you carry and you use the same holster, that strategy should suffice....

....as long as you "feel like punching paper for fun" with a frequency sufficient to keep up your skills, and you do it in a manner that would prove helpful for SD..
Punching paper for fun has little to do with my carry guns, it is just that-fun, and I don't consider it practice for SD. My range guns run the gamut of platforms and generally have no resemblance to my primary carries, which are a select few.

OldMarksman said:
I should hope the phrase "the one I'm carrying at the time" does not indicate that your carry pieces are not very similar to one another, at least in terms of function and grip.
"The one I'm carrying at the time" denotes the magazine, not the weapon, indicating my ammo is rotated with every range trip. I have only 4 pieces that I carry, for many years, 2 of which are on me 95% of the time.

nobody shoots for "fun" anymore?

I always run mags of my carry ammo, I am well practiced with it, but I also shoot light loads for fun.

Back