Carry Preference

Autos tend to be able to take rough handling better than revolvers, whose rotating and locking mechanisms tend to be relatively delicate. This is one of the reasons revolvers have been replaced by autos in the military.

Yeah, people forget about revolvers with their timing issues. Try dropping one and see how it works afterwards.

Honestly, I'm a bit biased towards them for their limited capacity. If you're going to carry a revolver that's fine. You're on my side anyways, hope it always works out for you better than any criminal. I just feel there are more modern and better options out there.

Yeah, people forget about revolvers with their timing issues. Try dropping one and see how it works afterwards.

While I don't argue that auto's are more tolerant of out and out abuse, revolvers aren't that delicate. I have, on more than one occasion, dropped a revolver from 4+ feet onto concrete and asphalt with no ill effects beyond scuffs and scratches. Of course, in both cases the cylinder was closed and locked into place, I suppose if it had been flopping around open then there may have been more risk of bending the ejector rod and/or yoke.

Honestly, I'm a bit biased towards them for their limited capacity. If you're going to carry a revolver that's fine. You're on my side anyways, hope it always works out for you better than any criminal. I just feel there are more modern and better options out there.

Capacity is only one piece of the puzzle and not always necessarily the most important piece. Depending one where a person lives, what sorts of activities they engage in, and other variables the other attributes of a revolver may or may not outweigh the capacity advantage of an auto.

Lots of good information in this thread. Thanks to the OP for the question.

I'm one of those old guys who has been carrying for decades.

You might find that you like both revolvers and semi-autos.

I now pick from a list of several guns to carry which includes both revolvers and semi-autos.

Revolver vs. semi-auto isn't a decision criterion.

Shoot 'em all, decide, then change your mind at will :D.

W.

On the issue of revolver & semiauto reliability, I will add a commen that reflects nothing more than my personal belief. I don't think that revolvers have stuff go wrong as often as semiautos, but when something does go wrong with a revolver, it goes really wrong.

Go with what you shoot best
I carry a full size CZ 75b (a big heavy pistol)
I would love to own a nice 3" 357 mag as well

Call me crazy, but I like the idea of being constantly reminded that I have a gun on me. As far as daily carry goes, Some of those little mouse guns are just too easy to forget about IMO; although, I do gave a .22 mag NAA minie for certain situations.

Over time, I have carried a variety of pistols and revolvers.

I have learned that while I like 1911s, I do sometimes activate the safety when I don't actually want to. (Similarly, I have learned that thumb breaks on concealed holsters don't slow me down most of the time.). I don't really carry 1911s much, these days. (Nor do I use thumb break concealed holsters.)

These days, I carry either a compact CZ in 9mm, or a 3" or smaller revolver in .357. I am a fan of point and shoot. I practice DA and SA fire. I practice with either hand, and while I am and will probably always be better with my right, I could pass most qualification courses with my left.

I prefer carrying my primary in a strong side holster, just behind my right hip, either IWB or OWB. Sometimes I may use pocket carry, or a Packin'T, or a shoulder holster, because activities or dress code may impose some limits.

If carrying a back-up, it will normally be in a weak side, behind the hip holster or, in jacket weather, in a left hand coat pocket. I figure a BUG should be accessible to my left hand, in case the failure is in my primary arm and not in the primary gun.

Most of the time, I don't think that dropping a revolver will have any effect on the timing. Wear and tear over time is the chief cause for a timing issue.
Imo, a revolver's reliability is compromised by dirt more than is a semi-auto. As an example, during the thirty years I spent in le before retiring, the first and longer part of my career involved carrying a Smith da revolver of one variation or another; the last few years, after my agency transitioned to semi-autos, we carried Smith third generation autos. During those thirty years or so of bi-annual re-qualifications, firing thousands of rounds of mostly cheap agency reloads, the only malfunction I ever experienced was with a revolver and that was on only one occasion with a Smith Model 13. A powder flake or two had managed to get in-between the cylinder and the extractor star, eventually tying the revolver up.
Nevertheless, it is still my opinion that the revolver is less likely to malfunction than is a semi-auto, everything else being equal. That said, a good auto is plenty reliable for any self-defense duties and the extra capacity and fast reload capabilities of a semi-auto more than compensates for any edge in reliability the revolver might have.

Smith & Wesson Airlite J-frame 38 special
Jeans- rear right pocket.
Cargo shorts- front right pocket.
No holster-it just slows you down. Things happen fast.
Revolver- no slide, no saftey, no failure to feed, no failure to eject, not ammo sensitive or fussey about which clip it likes.

Thats my take after a lot of years and an armed robbery experience.

I have carried a Kahr P9 for in a Cross Breed Supertuck for several years and its been great. A while back I decided to pick up a S&W642 for pocket carry and found it simply impossible to shoot well,never could become proficient with it. What ever you choose make sure you can shoot it well.

I have a wide selection of small firearms available to me, but I found myself walking out the door unarmed more often than not. I do not have the discipline to dress properly to conceal properly. So I picked up a Taurus 85 Ultralite Titanium which fits in my pocket and weighs 15oz loaded with 5 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense .38 special. This is extremely more effective for self defense than harsh words. I traded in my Ruger LCP and Bodyguard 380 for a Sig P290RS which I like a lot, but it weighs 25oz and a bit too big for me for pocket carry. It carries IWB very, very well. That and my Sig P232 (7+1 .380). Those are my favorite carry weapons. If I happen to use a fanny pack (or Maxpedition bag) I'll carry something bigger.

"Really" carrying, which was mainly when I was at work running a little neighborhood bar in Dallas was a Glock 19. IWB in a Minotaur from Comp-Tac. I shoot semi-autos much faster and more accurately, add capacity and I was much more comfortable. Open to the public late at night, cash on hand, questionable folk from time to time.

"Casual" carry, normally a 642 in the pocket. Have a TT Gunleather Mike's Special for it, used it sometimes. Live a fairly boring life, but you never know...

Camping or woods, i.e. open, carry on private property is a Cimarron Model P 5.5" in .45 Colt. Have a Triple K Cheyenne holster on a Triple K cartridge belt for that one. As a potential old school NY reload, I have a 3.5" Thunderer with a Cimarron (El Paso Saddlery) shoulder rig. Sadly, I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Single action big bore in the out of doors just kinda feels right. I wouldn't be ashamed to pack my 4" .357 Highway Patrolman in these instances, but usually the thumb-buster rides my hip.

All of this is just me, you have to figure out your balance of comfort, accuracy and whatever other factors are important to you. Eventually, you will find the right piece(s) for your situation. Getting there is half the fun...

Biggest thing is to put as many guns in you paws to feel how they fit. Rent and shoot if possible Thight in the hand, you want as much palm and finger on the grip as possible. You will know it when you find the right gun fit as soon as its in your hands. If its got everything else your looking for,,,, thats your gun. If its a maybe fit... you can get custom grips but IMHO it's best to go all natural then fine tune the gun. Stupid to buy a gun then spend extra to change it into something else.. my 2¢

I prefer the Ruger LCP in my right front pocket.
It's the one gun that I think has the perfect balance between caliber, size, and ease of concealment.

I think a revolver is a good choice for a first time handgun owner. They are easier to use and you don't have to take them apart to clean them. I say start with the revolver and maybe down the line you will own both types like I do.

I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 in a theis IWB holster. Very comfortable setup I like it a lot...
qame6epa.jpg

I carry 24/7, I live in a not so good apartment area, I don't walk my dog or check the mail without my pistol. I live in FL so it has to be concealed carry, no open carry so I'm limited to a smaller pistol and less ammo.

Personally I only carry Semi-Autos for self-defense. Revolvers have a wide cylinder(not as comfy), limited ammo of usually 5-6 rounds, slower to reload, usually longer heavier trigger pull, and a higher bore axis which produces more muzzle lift slowing down follow up shots.

The smallest caliber for self-defense that I use is 9mm. Never less than that. Bonded hollow points. 147g for my 9. I carry a Ruger SR9c compact, doublestack, 10+1. Full-size sights. The smallest I would ever consider would be a S&W M&P Shield, no smaller than that though, I don't want to give up anymore ammo or accuracy.

I carry inside the waist band at the 1-2 o'clock position, slight cant, I'm right handed. Been considering getting a shoulder holster and wearing an unbuttoned over shirt with a slightly larger pistol for the cooler months.

A carry gun is bag full of compromises. I like my Cougar best but it's a bit large 90% of the time. I settled on a Versa Thunder 380. It's not the smallest, it only holds 8 rounds, it shoots 380acp. But it also feels good in the hand, is reliable, and shoots accurately even at 50ft. It's small enough most of the time. It's full of compromises and fits carry pretty well. A nice little gun though and a good price too.

Back