Carry Poll

How many handguns have you carried at once?

• Single Full Size Handgun

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Single Compact Handgun

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Single Sub-compact Handgun

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • Handgun with a single back-up gun

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Handgun with two back-up guns

Votes: 9 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WaltherRuger

I carry a P99 AS in 9 mm in an IWB hybrid holster at the 4 o'clock position.
I carry a Ruger LCR .38 special in my left front pocket holster.

I have anticipated carrying the LCR in an ankle holster and a small .380 or .32 in the left front pocket.

I do this more for the fun of it, though there are plenty of stories where a back-up gun saved a life.

How do you guys carry?

I've never needed the one I carry so far, thank god. If the day comes and I live through it where I think, "I sure could have used another pistol.", I'll change. I'm not saying that's right for everyone, or that I can anticipate every situation. I just don't feel the need.

I do carry an extra mag though. I also keep a Sig M400 and a mag in my pickup(except when in town) for coyotes. I reckon that oughta do me.. ;)

Carried a full sized 1911 for a couple days and went back to my 908 S&W 9MM.
Since then I have bought a SR40c I love.
The mouse guns are just to small for my hands.
I would blow a finger off with one of those - LOL!!!!

There was a time (1980's) I worked the highest crime beat on the Ft Worth, TX PD when the DFW area had one of the highest crime per capita rates in the US.
I carried a 6" 686 as my duty gun and a 2 1/2" 686 and a Walther PPK as BUG's and a 12 gauge. There were times I was very glad to have the firepower. Nowadays I carry a Glock Hicap with 2 reloads and a Shield with 1 or 2 reloads as a BUG. Not as many guns but more ammo, go figure........

85 percent of the time, I carry a single handgun with 2 reloads (magazines or speed strips).

10% of the time I will carry a backup with 1-2 reloads.

Once in a blue moon (mostly while travelling long distances) I carry my primary with 2 reloads, a BUG, and generally a third gun cased in the trunk of my car as an emergency/middle of nowhere/shtf gun.

I most generally carry my 9mm XD(M) sub-compact in a Galco IWB holster generally at about the 3-4 o'clock position. I always have another gun usually my full size .40 XD(M) in my truck at all times with an extra mag in the console. I am looking into getting an LCP as a back-up to have on my person at all times, especially if I get a job change soon.

I usually carry a 5 shot J fame .38 revolver with two speed strips. When I feel the need to up-gun I will strap on a Glock 19, or a Colt trooper loaded with .357.

I normally carry a 1911 with a spare magazine, but before I had to go to the mall with my wife and I carried my 1911 with 2 spare mags, my USPc, and a .38 snub in my back pocket.

I voted single compact because that's what I carry most of the time. However, I carry a subcompact about 30 percent of the time.

Normally I carry either a Glock subcompact (Glock 33 .357 Sig for now) OR a S&W 640-1 .357 magnum centennial.

Why?

Glock is for winter carry, J frame is summer carry. The weight of either one does not bother me at all.

Backup is a Saber Spitfire and my hands and feet.

Deaf

When I was a patrol supervisor, I carried my main sidearm (usually a sig 9mm or S&W M 27) on my strong side gunbelt. and always a 38 charter in an ankle holster. In winter months also wore a Browning 380 in a shoulder holster under an Ike jacket. Would probably worn another if I had room. Seeing a fellow officer shot with his own duty weapon and not having a back up to fall back on makes you skittish about not having enough weapons.

When I was a patrol supervisor, I carried my main sidearm (usually a sig 9mm or S&W M 27) on my strong side gunbelt. and always a 38 charter in an ankle holster. In winter months also wore a Browning 380 in a shoulder holster under an Ike jacket. Would probably worn another if I had room. Seeing a fellow officer shot with his own duty weapon and not having a back up to fall back on makes you skittish about not having enough weapons.

That would probably do it for me. I've never carried a back-up, but I can't say that I would blame someone for doing so. I go plain clothes often and I usually carry a Khar CW9. I've been known to carry a .32 derringer in a rather ghetto, yet very concealed, manner when doing U/C work. A gun that takes a while to get to is better than no gun at all.

to the OP, you have said there have been situations where a back-up gun has saved lives, outside of law-enforcement is this true? are there any recorded cases of this?
btwi am not trying to be disagreeable or arguementitive,just curious
if i could see a case where having a back-up has actually changed an outcome i may be inclined to carry one

Back