Carry at the beach

Sword canes are legal in most places; a stout cane or walking tick will handle a dog. Not EVERY scenario calls for a gun and 3 reloads..............

Very true, but this is a "gun forum", and its seems for many, guns tend to be the only answer to "everything". ;)

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

People who carry gun, pepper spray, baton, taser, knife
are often mocked here.

Even though such a load out would give you a continuum of force similar to police.

""As for the dog, I think you can get exceptions for comfort animals.. I believe those are usually written by therapists."" copied from #14

I hope you notified whoever it is that controls the beach of this situation. Insist on the leash if they want to insist on the dog.

The heavy walking stick could be a good idea. I know you don't prefer a knife and a large fixed blade may violate state law, but a smaller folding knife has to be legal. I mean, if they are legal here in MD (if you are carrying it as a tool, not a weapon), then they have to be legal pretty much everywhere. So, I'd consider a small (2-3") folding knife for situations where the stick isn't enough. Also, I know you don't prefer pepper spray. Several people expressed concern that the stream isn't usually contained to just your attacker (especially on a potentially windy beach). Have you thought about the heavy gel pepper sprays? They do a pretty good job of keeping the stream from effecting multiple people.

Don't use pepper spray use the foam if that is not available then Raid wasp and hornet foam, gives up to 25' range. a muzzle shot works great.

Fun project idea: get some type of sun hat with a bit of space between the top of your head and the inside top of the hat. Sew some type of pocket holster with retention strap to the inside. Keltec p3at or ruger lcp is just a tip of the hat away, and will be above water at all times if you can swim good.

"Sword canes are legal in most places"
In what country? In the U.S. they are considered concealed weapons in most states, and the regulations which would permit you to legally carry one are even more obscure that concealed carry firearms.

When fishing at the beach I carry a small "air-horn" on my belt. This is a palm-sized can of compressed air with a horn outlet. Available in the boating section of most shops carrying boating gear (even Wally World) for under $10. On several occasions I have used it to scare/back-off dogs that were running around free and toward me, their owners not in complete control. The very loud honking backs them off very well and keeps them out of my fishing gear. The air-horn is also a good signaling device when out of sight of others or unable to yell for help. At the beach (as in your situation) there may be other people somewhat near but they won't know you need assistance. Even if they just come over to see what is going on with the dog.

Taking hornet spray to the beach? Also, we have discussed in detail why using hornet or wasp spray is a bad idea, legally and tactically. Search on it.

Some folks suggest it is a less than lethal but it is not and specifically against the law to use as a weapon.

MislMan said “When fishing at the beach I carry a small "air-horn" on my belt. This is a palm-sized can of compressed air with a horn outlet.”

Ok this seems like a great idea. It gets the dogs attention and pretty much everyone else’s too.

Some type of stick/baton seems reasonable as a primary, but there is no downside to also dropping a fully water-proof knife into the pocket of your swim trunks -- then you're never completely disarmed, even when you're in the water. I have a Spyderco salt-series knife that has been in the ocean several times and in pools on dozens of occasions -- never a spot of rust, even with zero maintenance. On the other hand, some "stainless" knives will be destroyed after a few hours of contact with salt water, so be sure to use something appropriate.

Lohman466
I read you first and second posts and not many of the other responses

Seems to me.
1: You took best coarse of action on the dog approaching your children...and from your description you do not sound like you feared for you own life from that dog... I think you even imply deadly force did not seem needed

2. You verbal interaction with the Flippant owners seems to get under your skin and I inferred that you believe, as I, that too many citizens pretend JUST A DOG...is magically a "SERVICE DOG" that they selfishly believe they are ENTITLED in some way to NOT comply with all other Dog Ordinances...

I bet I got that right...And it torques me too

BUT...I see it all the time when one of us who does not have the "I'M ENTITLED" gene, comments...then the IDIOT, with the gene, gets combative verbally...and like you, this really Pi...es me off...

I have trained my self to do what I need to be a good citizen. And have come to understand, I cannot change the behaviors of these ENTITLED [jerks]...so I shut up and move on....cuz I know me....WINK

Last edited by a moderator:
Sword cane is a good idea. But I have the same problem going jet skiing, tubing, to the beach etc.

Put it in a cooler, Glocks don't mind getting wet. Up to you if you would leave it alone on the beach, I would think people don't steal coolers in general. Camera bag or binoculars, different story.

So it got me to thinking, more than I should, about concealed carry in such an environment. How would one go about carrying a concealable pistol in light beach clothing that is likely to be exposed to and submerged in water?

Bond Derringer in 10mm AUTO ... :cool:

... concealed in a Speedo. :eek:

Your beach balls will be safe amid all the sun & fun. :D

Smart carry or such holster with any polymer stainless pistol.
Water won't affect factory ammo but if that concerns you a touch of clear nail polish on the primer will seal it. Just very thin.
Factory ammo is already sealed.

Back