carry ammo recommendations for 9mm

Many years ago, I convinced a Big City in Florida to go to +P+ 127 Win Ranger. I had been convinced by a Dr. That this round was the Bees Knees.

Good round, but shooting it in the MP 5 Sub Guns, battered the bolts to bits!

Have no idea what they use now.
If you're talking about Miami Florida, we still use Winchester Ranger T 127gr +p+ rounds.

Hope all is well, Brit. Still carrying the Glock 19, right?

Removing disguised profanity

I recently shot a bunch of FIOCCHI 124 grain JHP's that my brother in law got a case of. It was extraordinarily accurate out of my G19 and his P226---like holy cow! Accurate, everything close to the black at 15 yards with several going in the same hole. I've no clue how well this round expands and penetrates, but I'm going to try and get more trigger time on it soon and see if that was a fluke or not.

I'm an average shooter so this really made me pay attention (to say nothing of making this range session highly enjoyable--lol).

BigJimP said:
sorry, 124 grain...( Golden Sabre ) is what I've been carrying ..
Thanks, but ... the standard velocity 124-grain or the +P 124-grain?

And I'm interested in the reason(s) for your choice, because I've been leaning toward the 147-grain but I'm always interested in arguments to sway me in another direction.

And I'm interested in the reason(s) for your choice, because I've been leaning toward the 147-grain but I'm always interested in arguments to sway me in another direction.

Not looking to stir the pot, but.. I'm always a fan of 124-127 grain bullets.

147 was made to be shot out of sub-machine guns that have larger barrels to increase velocity. Often times in tests with pistols such as the Glock 19, 26, or any other compact pistol, they don't seem to expand as much as a 124 grain bullet would.

So personally, I'd stick to 124 gr.

I carry the Hornady Critical Duty that the CIA and Hornaday collaborated with. Will penetrate glass, cloth and bone as it enters. Critical Defense only met 8 of the 12 requirements the CIA, whereas the Critical Duty met all 12.

Constantine.

Yes, still carrying the G19, changed to Gen 4 Mod.

No it was Orlando, they went to the 124 round now I believe.

So many CCW people state, shoot as is change nothing. Not me, first off, fit night sights, TruGlo fiber optics, in all green. Extended slide release, butt plug, 5lb trigger. And smooth trigger.

I taught always fire twice from 1980, still believe in the double tap.

Constantine.

Yes, still carrying the G19, changed to Gen 4 Mod.

No it was Orlando, they went to the 124 round now I believe.

So many CCW people state, shoot as is change nothing. Not me, first off, fit night sights, TruGlo fiber optics, in all green. Extended slide release, butt plug, 5lb trigger. And smooth trigger.

I taught always fire twice from 1980, still believe in the double tap.

Nice! I went over to the Gen 4 model myself. Couple years back now. I prefer the stippling and the beaver tail.

Ah, good ol' Orlando.

I also agree. They need iron sights. Preferably night sights.

Amen to the double tap. I was taught stoppage drills two to the heart and one to the brain, if possible. With FMJ a good stoppage drill will work. Imagine good JHPs?

So, OP. Have you decided on a carry load yet?

Thank you all for your help and suggestions it is appreciated.
I wish I had the money to try them all and see how the different ammo works in each gun but since I'm short on cash I'll have to start somwhere. I went ahead and ordered 200 rounds of the 124 grain federal hst. should be here next week so we will see how it goes. thanks again

Different Approach to CC Ammo

In an actual shooting scenario, the situation is likely to change rapidly. My first 3 cartridges are Hornady Critical Defense (for when my adversary is in open view) and the remainder of the magazine is loaded with FMJ.

I wish I had the money to try them all and see how the different ammo works in each gun but since I'm short on cash I'll have to start somwhere.
Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about testing different brands in my experience other than some POI shifting (usually due to bullet weight/velocity changes) I've never seen any appreciable difference in accuracy between the major brands of SD ammo so like I said earlier if 124gr HST runs in your guns and hits POA you're GTG.

Back