carry ammo recommendations for 9mm

05kas05

i have a glock 26 gen 4 that is my ccw and i recently picked up a glock 19 gen4.
I'm looking for recommendations on carry ammo for both.
i was going to pick up some federal hst 124 grain h.p but wanted to see what suggestions you guys might have before i place an order.

Reliability comes first.
Any high quality 115 or 124 gr [the better brands ] and better would be premium ,though more expensive . I prefer premium Barnes all copper for both carry and hunting .

If HST runs, make sure you run 100 or so rounds to test, it seems to be just about the most consistent performer.

Then again GOLDDOTCRITICALDUTYSXTPDXETC. It's all good stuff

The G26 and my G43 have short barrels so muzzle velocity is a factor.

Our agency is a .40 caliber agency but there are some officers grandfathered-in with 9mm. Those officers are issued Federal Premium 9mm 147 gr HST+P. I carry those in my G43 and Canik TP9SA, not because they were free when I qualified at retirement but because that luckygunner.com ammo test showed them to be effective. I go forth in confidence with them.

Last edited:
Carry Ammo-9mm

I' ve been zero issues since testing,then settling on the Hornady 115gr.CD for my two 2Rugers and3Glocks.If necessary ,135gr. Hornady Duty up next well tested and be sure All mags are well tested too!

I carry Remington Golden Sabers, in part because that's what our local PD carries. I haven't looked at the boxes in ages, but I think they're 147 grain. If it: (1) is a hollowpoint (where legal); (b) comes from a reputable manufacturer; and (c) functions reliably & accurately in your pistol . . . it should be fine.

Speer
Remington
Hornady
Federal

Etc.

I picked up some Fiocchi XTP 124 and 147 gr and its been fine in my Sr9c and P07 Duty. I got it because it was on sale for a good price, but did some checking up on it after the fact and it seems reliable overall. And it performed pretty well in the luckygunner test, not that that really holds much weight with me though

WW147g Ranger T.

Carried that round in my G19 4th Gen for a couple of years, extremely accurate, moderate recoil.

And the experts? Seem to think adequate penetration is the be all of cartridge performance. If it does not reach those internal organs? What use is it.

In my experience, this cartridge works first time, all the time. And as we all seem to carry more than shoot people with our carry firearms, that seems to be our best bet.

Gold Dot 124 and Critical Duty 135 are easy to get back on target and function without fail in both my Cougar and Shield. Every few range trips I fire the jhp in the mag before loading the fmj. Never a fail from either.

Several years ago I asked a police officer/trainer/armorer friend (since retired) what he recommended for 9mm. Unfortunately, I don't have his answer written down. However, considering that I have a bunch of 147-grain, non +P JHP ammo around and no 124-grain +P, I sort of think he recommended the 147-grain.

Golden sabre is my choice --- run's 100% in all the 9's I might carry / #1 1911 5" wilson, ---- my backup options....4" kimber, sig 226 or sig 239....

I like Honady American Gunner, aka "Custom" 124 gr. +P. I practice with it, it's relatively inexpensive and I can get it whenever I want it.

GOLDDOTCRITICALDUTYSXTPDXETC
^^^^this^^^^
Making sure it goes bang and hits POA is most important go someplace like ammunitiontogo.com or sgammo.com and get some kind of LEO surplus/overrun ammo that you can buy a few 50 round boxes and test it in your gun.

You really need to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your pistol shoots best before making the decision. The price of it makes no difference.
And you'll have to do that with both pistols.

Many years ago, I convinced a Big City in Florida to go to +P+ 127 Win Ranger. I had been convinced by a Dr. That this round was the Bees Knees.

Good round, but shooting it in the MP 5 Sub Guns, battered the bolts to bits!

Have no idea what they use now.

Back