Careful what you use to clean your bore

2000 rounds in a high powered rifle, I don't think it unusual to see some throat erosion.
Normal wear I think. But what do I know, I shoot pistols. I have read to increase the charge a little to compensate when accuracy starts to suffer due to throat erosion.

Interesting read to be sure. My understanding of stainless barrels is that while they are more impervious to the elements, they tend to shoot out sooner than carbon. Anybody has more info about that, please do post.

Didn't read the articles.
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone thinks substantial throat erosion at 2,000 rounds in a burner like the 6.5 x 47 Lapua is abnormal...

It isn't.

Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

I didn't consider the 6.5x47 Lap to be a "barrel burner" but then I was comparing it to a 6.5x284.
But yes, 2000 rounds in any target or snipper rifle is really quite a lot.
A friend is changing .308 barrels on his F class rifle about 2500. But he is a GOOD shot and can tell the difference.

My understanding of stainless barrels is that while they are more impervious to the elements, they tend to shoot out sooner than carbon. Anybody has more info about that, please do post.
Different people have different ideas about when a barrel is "shot out" but there there does seem to be some longevity benefit to going with stainless over non-stainless...

Or to going with non-stainless over stainless. Depends on who you ask.

My take is that if it made a significant and consistent difference the definitive answer to the question would be readily available. The fact that there seems to be so much conflicting information seems to be pretty clear evidence that there isn't a definitive answer and that means either insignificant differences or differences that aren't consistent.

Different people have different ideas about when a barrel is "shot out" but there there does seem to be some longevity benefit to going with stainless over non-stainless...

Or to going with non-stainless over stainless. Depends on who you ask.

True. And we don't know the specifics related to the "shortish" barrel life referenced in the OP- rate of fire, and how "hot" the ammo was. It's a high-pressure round designed as a "compromise" chambering for competition, but if loaded and run hot you get what would be expected. When it comes to the major barrel makers, their steel alloy "recipes" are proprietary. SS is, according to those that make the barrels, more resistant than 4140 to heat erosion, and is worth the extra coin in many cases.

http://riflebarrels.com/support/faq/

My Personal Practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullets...

Heh, can I get a Witness?! The above is triply true for pistol, btw.

Well, what is the reasonable lifetime of a barrel chambered in Accuracy International 6.5 x 47?

I don't have one. I did look up the 6.5 X 47 Lapua http://www.accurateshooter.com/featured/65x47/ and it seems to be a pretty high pressure round:

High pressure capacity (435 MPa / 63090 psi) and efficient case design yields excellent velocities along with excellent brass life.

I will bet, the handloads of long range shooters are closer to 70,000 psia than 63,000.

I do have buds who were shooting things like 6.5 X 284, 260 Rem, and one, was shooting a 243 Winchester. The 243 Winchester was shot out between 700 and 800 rounds. The guys with the 6.5's, if memory serves right, those barrels were toast around 1200 to 1400 rounds.

I am of the opinion that anyone getting 2000 rounds out of a 6.5 X 47 anything, was doing real good. And I also believe, the bore cleaner was not at fault. We will see if the bore cleaner was at fault. If this guy rebarrels with the same cartridge and never uses brake cleaner again, and has to replace the next barrel around 1500 rounds, we will know his problem is all about the cartridge. And I will bet, we won't hear any yelping about brake cleaner, in fact, we won't hear any yelping at all.

Slamfire, I agree. I mainly shoot 6.5 x 284 for my 1k rifles. I have no idea how many rounds one would be "good enough to hunt. I can say they are not good enough to win matches past 750 to 800. They are embarrassing at 1000.

Slamfire, I agree. I mainly shoot 6.5 x 284 for my 1k rifles. I have no idea how many rounds one would be "good enough to hunt. I can say they are not good enough to win matches past 750 to 800. They are embarrassing at 1000.

Good data point. I hope I can remember your data.

What this entire thread has shown is how people find patterns where none exist and create attributions that are based on coincidence. I truly believe the natural state of mankind is superstition and ignorance. Thank fully, in this society, we no longer blame accidents on witch craft, but that is not true for all of the world. Superstitious and ignorant people are daily killing their neighbors over unfortunate coincidences they think were caused by "witch craft".

Brake cleaner is nasty stuff, maybe it is deleterious to barrels, but I have not seen that proven through test. The most obvious cause of roughing of the bore after 2000 rounds in a 6.5 round, is wear.

Back