Carbon build up on outside of cylinder

There's absolutely no reason for you to be spending that much time cleaning your revolver unless you just really like spending that much time to clean it.
I never said I felt is was a necessity to clean the carbon off the cylinder. BTW, there is a good reason to clean off the carbon, beyond wanting to spend too much time cleaning it. The fact is the gun is beautifully blued and I'd like to keep it that way (I'm also a little OCD about keeping my guns clean and looking as good as possible). I also noticed the OP of the linked post calls the carbon build up on a revolver "carbon scoring". The term seems to have originated in Star Wars as the marks on metal created by a "blaster" (the blaster apparently being one of the most inaccurate weapon ever conceived, at least in the hands of an Imperial Storm trooper :))

Last edited:
I use Hoppe's Elite and a microfiber cloth to remove the carbon on my blued guns and more importantly on my titanium cylinder guns. Works great and doesn't stink. Just a little rubbing and the carbon comes off with no damage to the blueing or the clear coat on titanium.

I use Hoppe's Elite and a microfiber cloth to remove the carbon on my blued guns and more importantly on my titanium cylinder guns. Works great and doesn't stink. Just a little rubbing and the carbon comes off with no damage to the blueing or the clear coat on titanium.
I would say not all carbon is created equal. There is your run of the mill carbon residue that comes off with solvent and a cleaning patch, and there layers of carbon, which have been baked on by the gasses that escape from the forcing cone; this baked on carbon can be very time consuming to remove.

As far as Hoppes' Elite not stinking, I often open a bottle of Hoppes #9 when cleaning my guns, even when I'm not using it, just to to smell the familiar odor of rotten bananas. It takes me back to a time when I was a teenager and my father was still alive. After a trip to the range, my dad, brother and I would sit at a table on the back yard porch and clean our guns. Hoppes without the odor? Never! At least for me :)

If the smell and the extra work to get the carbon off is important to you then Hoppe's Elite is not for you. Some may have different priorities however and that would be who I was posting for.

If it takes Hours to remove....try this :
Mix up a batch of Ed's Red Bore Cleaner , do a search for the recipe.
Pour some Ed's Red in a container, old can , submerge the cylinder and let it soak for 3 to 5 days, after soaking , scrub with an old toothbrush or your brass brush.
Ed's Red will get up under and loosen the crud....let it soak good, then the brush will remove it. Repeat as needed.
After using Ed's Red Bore Cleaner on several military rifle barrels that looked like old sewer pipes...and they came clean...I've never bothered with the wimpy stuff again.
It's not sweet smelling and isn't "green " but it's a crud cutter from the word Go !
Gary

BTW, there is a good reason to clean off the carbon, beyond wanting to spend too much time cleaning it. The fact is the gun is beautifully blued and I'd like to keep it that way...
The carbon won't hurt the blueing. "Hours" of cleaning with a brass brush after every shooting session on the other hand...
I also noticed the OP of the linked post calls the carbon build up on a revolver "carbon scoring".
I've seen the fouling that builds up on the front portion of a revolver cylinder called carbon scoring for many years. I don't have any simple way to prove which usage predates the other.

Back