carb cleaner confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

I just fini-oh sorry, hi pros! I just finished looking at the archives and someone brought up the use of carb cleaners a few months back.
A lot of you said that it was a good way to get out the junk in your pistols.
The same number of opinions leaned toward NOT using it since it dissolves plastic grips, stinks, painted surfaces are to be avoided, etc. Someone even said his nose bleeds when he uses it.
I just used a carb cleaner (STP) yesterday. This was BEFORE I read this material.
I just ran around the house checking the grips of my wife's PPK/S as well as my G26 and HK USP. They seem fine so far aside from
the slight smell which I think comes from the carb cleaner.
Some also said brake cleaners were good, some said they were bad. So who to believe!
In a nutshell I am downright confused.
Please help pros!

BMC:

Do what you want, but IMHO, don't do it. If you are able to totally strip down your weapon (to armorer level) then clean/soak the parts in something like Hoppes #9 or something else specifically designed for cleaning weapons (removing powder/lube residue). In other words, the weapons cleaning solution of your choice.

If I want to clean the carb on my lawn mower or fuel injectors on my truck, I ain't gonna use Hoppes #9 or something designed to clean weapons.

Use the right "tool" for it's intended purpose.

Mike

I have used both carb cleaners and brake ceaners on both rifles and pistols with no ill effects to either myself or the guns. I really like the electronic parts sprays that are found at auto parts stores.

There does not seem to be much difference between the formulas of the auto parts cleaners and the various spray gun cleaners, just in purity.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

I've been told during one Armorer's School that while carb cleaner won't dissolve plastic (or isoplast) framed guns, it will certainly discolor them and therefore, keep it away from plastic parts.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

BMC, I can understand your confusion. I can tell you from experience that the carb cleaner will not hurt the finish, barrel or the **newer** plastic grips. "Newer" meaning the more modern plastics. Anything made in the last 20 years should be just fine - it has been for me. As always, I try a "test spot" when using a new chemical. As I said before, the carb cleaner **may** remove the red or white paint on the "safe" and "fire" marks.

I do not like the brake cleaner because it has a MUCH stronger and more offensive stench to it. The carb cleaner is very tolerable and does a wonder of a job cleaning those hard-to-get places. It will remove ALL lubricants to be sure to apply lubricant and protectant to the proper places after using the carb cleaner.

I have done hundreds of cleanings with the stuff - with no problem. I don't necessairly use it EVERY time I clean, just when I need it. I also suggest you get a few cans of the spray "dry air". Regardless of what chemical you use to clean, the compressed dry air is great for blowing dirt and chemicals out of those nooks and crannys.

My .02

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA, LEAA and vote.

Just a thought...would warranty service still
be in effect? I don't think I'd use it since I have so many "wonder tools" for cleaning.

The most important thing to remember about using brake parts cleaner is that it will remove ALL lube from the gun parts. Metal is porous and you will have to apply a light coat of oil to all surfaces of the gun during assembly. Otherwise, I like the stuff. It really cleans well. I wouldn't chance it on plastic parts though, although I believe Glock says it will not hurt their parts.

And as previously mentioned, the gun should be stripped down to the bare bones (armorer level)prior to using brake parts cleaner.

The brand of carb cleaner that has a dipping basket is superb for removing discoloration from neglected cartridge cases. Rinse with lacquer thinner after treatment.

Try a mineral spirit dip with all of the plastic or wood removed. Remember Break Pad cleaners and Carb Cleaners usually contain toluene which is severly detrimental to polymer grips or finishes that incorporate polymer ingredients. I hate to always weigh in on a lubrication or cleaner post but I sell Engineered adhesives and I witness the destruction of polymer compounds on a weekly basis by compounds with toluene.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Will - if that's true, can you explain to me why my polymer gas tank and gas cans have held up for years when holding racing fuel, which is something like 40% toluene? I wouldn't use such nasty stuff on removable plastic grips - they're not designed to be so tough, but modern polymer frames are designed to take any solvent, even the really harsh ones. Brake or carb cleaner won't hurt an HK or Glock frame, though it will remove the painted markings (F and S).

I went to my local Sports Authority and got some crud buster. Desiged for firearm cleaning and at $8 a can i figured it would be specially made for guns. After my first shot down the barrel it brought back horrible memories of my auto mechanic days. If i wanted brake cleaner i'd go to pep boys and save 5 bucks !

I say stick with the cleaners that are specifically designed for guns. And dont be fooled by gasoline in a can with "gun cleaner" written on it. After making the investment for the guns we all love and enjoy so much why would you clean them with something so harsh ?

I dont wash my car with Mop N Glow. I aint cleaning my gun with gas,kerosine,carb cleaner or brake clean.

------------------
TIM : )

Morgan:

When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. The polymer framed pistols are built to take with Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic or other similar materials. I still stand by the notion that toluene or realted solvents are harmful to woods,rubbers, or polymer finishes as you have eluded to.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

According to some guys on other forums, including professionals who refinish guns for a living, if you use carb cleaner you are rolling the dice.

It appears that there are 3-4 different manufacturers of carb cleaner. Some will act as a solvent on plastics, some will not. You can't be sure that what you get in the can -- even if its the same brand you used successfully last time -- will be the same stuff the next time you buy it.

(I screwed up the grips on a Beretta Tomcat with carb cleaner, myself, when I didn't remove the grips prior to spraying.)

Brake cleaner is a slightly different chemical mix -- and its all generally made by one manufacturer. It seems less damaging to plastic (probably because there are often plastic parts in the brakes, used to help reduce squeal.)

I use carb cleaner to clean old Curio & Relic rifles -- with the parts being cleaned being removed from other stuff, like wood, etc. I use brake cleaner to clean my pistols -- when its necessary to really chemically "strip" the gun -- but otherwise use either chemical mix very sparingly.

Just have to put in my .02 here. I work in the auto industry and let me speak from experience. Not all carb cleaners are created equal. Some are extremely caustic, while others will barely clean off dust. Remember what the CAR in carburettor cleaner is for - carbon. A very tough substance to remove. I have seen some plastic parts on some carbs disolved by can type cleaner and other plastic parts that will stand up to industrial grade carbon remover. Some types of carb cleaner will also leave a residue which would need to be cleaned off any metal parts. Now Brake cleaner (or to be PC these days - parts wash) is a totaly different fluid. Brake cleaner has a very low boiling point. This gives it a fast rate of evaporation. This is needed on a brake system because you are washing off the contaminants and want any braking surfaces clean and dry when done. If you spray brake cleaner on bare steel in a humid enviroment you can actually watch rust start to form within minutes. Not a problem on brake drums/rotors because they are constantly being wiped clean by the friction material. Either one, but particularly carb cleaners are prone to discoloring plastic surfaces. Do Not use carb cleaner on a material that may contain fiberglass or carbon fiber. They may seem ok at first but carb cleaner can soak in as it does not evaporate as fast and while all may look ok it can be slowly breaking down the material.

Ok, that being said. On a brand new gun, caked with cosmoline, once stripped down, brake cleaner to get the cosmoline off would probably be ok (have to do this with auto parts all the time). But make sure you oil the surfaces immediately. I would not use either for normal maintenance with the possible exception of soaking a bolt that had become unuseable do to carbon build up.

[This message has been edited by Pthfndr (edited November 12, 1999).]

Aaah okay pros,thanks. Great opinions from all of you. Problem is, the amount of pro carb, anti carb AND pro some other cleaner kind of levels out.
I hate to say it but I'm still kinda confused. I checked www.glocktalk and the polls kinda level out as well.
But it's okay. I'll just snoop around a little more. Both on the net and with my fellow firearm owner friends.
But for the info of all, I sprayed STP Carb Cleaner on both the slide and receiver of my G26, HK USP, and PPK/S (took out the grips first. But this was BEFORE I learned the dangers that came with it (stupid me).
Well, that was three days ago and so far so good except for the smell. But keep in mind that I was very economical in spraying the parts so maybe I was just lucky.
I guess I will just have to see.
Again, thanks pros.

------------------
RONIN - samurai with no masters

I occasionally use brake cleaner (smells like it has acetone in it) to clean the stripped slide of my Glock. Since the striker channel of a Glock is to be left clean and comletely dry, I find brake cleaner fine for that application. I don't see any point in using brake cleaner on the polymer frame, so never have done so. So far, I haven't seen any ill effects on my Glock. Brake cleaner is specifically formulated not to disolve rubber, but I'm not sure about plastic. Since some brake cylinder parts are synthetic, not organic rubber, I'd think that brake cleaner would be preferential to carb cleaner.

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

When I do use the nasty cleaners, I, like Walt and Pathfinder, use brake cleaner, not carburetor cleaner. If there are any removable plastic bits (grips, anyone?) I remove them. I use eye protection and wear gloves, and work in a well ventilated area.

I discolored the plastic grips on my wife's P230 with brake cleaner when I assumed that they were made of the same stuff as an HK frame - if it's not integral, remove it before spraying.

Okay pros, tallying up all the opinions I got in this post and in the other posts in the past it all comes down to this:
Use Carb cleaner - 8 votes
Use Brake cleaner - 8 votes
Do not use any cleaner other than dedicated gun cleaners - 6 votes
Use Electronics Cleaner - 3 votes
Other types of cleaners (paint thinner, simplpe green, etc.) - 5 votes
My conclusion is that- I still have none.

------------------
RONIN - samurai with no masters

I started using brake & parts cleaner years ago while I was still shooting IPSC. Practicing with cast bullets, I fired an average of 1000+ rounds per week through my 1911-based race gun. Since I cast my own bullets, I had to cut down on the amount of time I was spending cleaning guns(I completely cleaned and re-lubed after each range session), while still doing a good job. After reading the ingredients on the back of a can of Gun Scrubber, I went to an auto parts store and found that brake & parts cleaner was about the same formula. I use the stuff as a follow-up after brushing with Hoppe's#9 to break the crud loose, and have absolutely no reason to discontinue the practice. I don't use it indoors, and I do recommend wearing household cleaning gloves, since I think the stuff is absorbed through the skin. I use it on my match grade AR's if I've been out on a windy day on a dusty range - though recently, I've been using a pump spray de-greaser from Pro-Shot that's not nearly as nasty as the aerosol products. I really like brake & parts cleaner, but you couldn't pay me enough to make me spray carb cleaner on ANY of my guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back